Mavic Release Discussion

It kind of depends on specs regarding wind etc if the Phantom is dead or not. Looks like the Mavic is prosumer and the phantom is more pro, at least the Phantom 4 anyway IMO.

Reactions: Cactus Wren
Well.. given the fact that you don't even need the controller for the Mavic, perhaps there will be a set of people who use iPads alone?
Yes, I'm assuming that'll be a possibility. I bet it's not easy to hold an iPad and use it like a remote controller though.

Reactions: scootrkitz
Well.. given the fact that you don't even need the controller for the Mavic, perhaps there will be a set of people who use iPads alone?

I need to see that work before I judge. i personally don't like the idea.

This looks to be superior in every way to a Phantom 4. I can't imagine even considering buying a Phantom now that I've seen this. It's very small, ultra portable, has incredible tracking and obstacle avoidance technology, it's own controller, racing mode, amazing range, and the list just goes on and on.

At this point it would not make sense buying a P4. Looks like a far advanced P4 in every sense.
Portability and flight time is a plus "Fly at up to 40mph (64kmh) or for as long as 27-minutes".

Haven't seen the announcement yet, just reading the posts! Does look/sound great! What's this with the controller, does the £999 tag come with a controller or not? Or does the controller need an iPhone to operate?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's probably more like 22 minutes with obstacle avoidance turned off and when not in sport mode. The average battery time is always about 5 minutes off of DJI's max spec.

I bet it's not easy to hold an iPad and use it like a remote controller though.
I remember when the Parrot first came out; it's exactly how you pilot it. There are several games that do this, too. It's not the most intuitive, especially without any kind of tactile feedback or physical boundaries, but it's workable. Having said that, I have to imagine tap-fly will be the preferred choice with screen-only control.

I need to see that work before I judge. i personally don't like the idea.
They definitely showed this during the livestream (with an iPhone). I'm not saying DJI isn't incredibly dumb at times, but it would be odd to go specifically out of their way to prevent it.

Would be nice to be able to pair it with the P3 controller. Being you don't need a controller and you plug the phone in the same, we'll still be using the tablets for sure :)

A mobile device may still be required if you want to run litchi or Autopilot missions.

Reactions: scootrkitz
Hi,

Awesome device. Just wondering if ( one of DJI's ) most common issues they have with previous gimbal/cameras is here with the Mavic also.

Wondering if any of you pro's noticed the tilted horizon in some of the shots. One of the ending sequences seems to be the most obvious but I 'think' it's there in other portions as well

15889669c66dcaf755d7e06b6f3f80d0.jpg

Kind regards

I think Mavic and Phantom are 2 different beasts and I am sure DJI holds a few cards up their sleeve for the Phantom series.

I hope some of the features announced for Mavic might follow for P4 such as altitude relative to the shape of terrain and such, they pack the same sensors and tech after all and can't justify a higher price tag for the P4 with lesser features.

As for the P5 or Phantom series, I see better camera specs and range/autonomy oriented for true filming.

That being said, Mavic seems to be definitely be nailing down the sports/action/selfie spot. Granted the nice thing about Karma is the modular aspect of it, but Mavic is so much better in every way.

from rcgroups early review.

Controller
Speaking of the controller, it too is small. Two handles/phone grips swing outward from the bottom and will snugly hold most standard or even large-sized phones. But don’t try jamming a full-size tablet in there – it won’t fit. Your phone connects to the controller, as with previous DJI remotes, via USB cable.

Hi,

Awesome device. Just wondering if ( one of DJI's ) most common issues they have with previous gimbal/cameras is here with the Mavic also.

Wondering if any of you pro's noticed the tilted horizon in some of the shots. One of the ending sequences seems to be the most obvious but I 'think' it's there in other portions as well

15889669c66dcaf755d7e06b6f3f80d0.jpg

Kind regards

Nooooooooooooo no more horizon tilts!

To be honest I feel this has been exaggerated as an issue than it is. Only times I experienced it was with strong cross winds where the gravity pulls and physics become complicated even for a 3d gimbal to properly sense correct unless you actually do picture analysis to fix it (which may be possible)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj