Mavic Pro User Manual 2016.09 (unofficial release)

I wonder how it's going to work if you start close to an object, focus, and then fly backwards for example.

I wonder how it's going to work if you start close to an object, focus, and then fly backwards for example.

If I understand it correctly, the Mavic has a possibility to a Center Autofocus (a green box in the center of the image with the text "AF" underneath). So whatever is in the middle of the viewfinder is in focus.

The question is whether this is a continuous autofocus, or like a DSLR where you need to press the shutter button halfway to set and freeze the focus.

I may be wrong, but some the information on the web seems to indicate that the AF is not continuous. So if you are doing a climb with the camera pointed down, whatever is in focus when you start the climb, will get out of focus pretty soon, and then everything gets blurry - unless you remember to refocus by tapping the screen during ascent. I would think that it is enough to refocus like two or three times, the focus range does not seem all that wide. Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about that, if it is the case, it will soon become a second nature.

I assume that you can refocus while shooting so you don't have to stop the video recording to refocus (like duh!), but I don't know for sure. I have yet to see a video clip where the focus is reset during an ongoing video recording.

I am also under the impression that you need to have the smartphone attached, otherwise you cannot set the focus. You can assign one of the remote buttons (like C1 or C2) to activate center autofocus, but I am not sure if this will actually focus the camera. The unofficial manual is extremely vague in these areas. I suppose this is something to find out once the first Mavic's will start shipping.

/// Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: thegroovologist

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31