Mavic Owner, Should I buy P4(Pro)?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm seriously considering ditching the Mavic and getting a P4P. It's already been in for gimbal repair and yesterday GPS signal just dropped for a few minutes and I almost lost it. I've had the watercolour issue which still isn't completely resolved too. Yes I know it's like comparing a DSLR to a point-and-shoot but the Mavic wasn't exactly cheap.
My main concern is stability. There just seems to be too many issues with the Mavic, I was thinking the Phantom is a more tried and tested platform and therefore more stable. Is this correct or is it just because I'm on the Mavic forums I see the problems more?

I've never flown the Mavic so don't know comparison wise. I've had my p4p for 2 months now though & over 200 flights & I love the stability & overall flight of the p4p but you might want to just wait for the 5. Probably be released this spring or early summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi all, I'm seriously considering ditching the Mavic and getting a P4P. It's already been in for gimbal repair and yesterday GPS signal just dropped for a few minutes and I almost lost it. I've had the watercolour issue which still isn't completely resolved too. Yes I know it's like comparing a DSLR to a point-and-shoot but the Mavic wasn't exactly cheap.
My main concern is stability. There just seems to be too many issues with the Mavic, I was thinking the Phantom is a more tried and tested platform and therefore more stable. Is this correct or is it just because I'm on the Mavic forums I see the problems more?

I have had my Mavic and it has been absolutely flawless. It is by far the best copter I have ever owned. I currently have Autel, 3 iterations of Phantom 3 and recently sold a TH. That said I'm buying a P4P next month when the next Phantom comes out. Why, they are completely different birds with different uses. Sounds like you got a Mavic lemon.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
If you don't need the portability, then absolutely you should get the p4p. Video quality difference is night and day (even during daytime) IMO.

-mavic & P4P owner.

(I'm selling mine by the way, its in the classified of both this site and the Mavic site.. sorry, shameless plug lol)

Reactions: daithi23
I've never flown the Mavic so don't know comparison wise. I've had my p4p for 2 months now though & over 200 flights & I love the stability & overall flight of the p4p but you might want to just wait for the 5. Probably be released this spring or early summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using PhantomPilots mobile app
No, its likely Mavic v2 to be released next.

I have had my Mavic and it has been absolutely flawless. It is by far the best copter I have ever owned. I currently have Autel, 3 iterations of Phantom 3 and recently sold a TH. That said I'm buying a P4P next month when the next Phantom comes out. Why, they are completely different birds with different uses. Sounds like you got a Mavic lemon.
Two lemons! One was already replaced!
Just FYI this question has been asked many, MANY times, there are other threads with many opinions.
I know most of the arguments for and against; image quality, portability, but it's mostly stability now. I just want a reliable drone that I'm not afraid is going to fly away or develop strange "watercolour" issues...

I had the mavic for 7 days. I had a number of issues pop up all of which were corrected by a reboot. The I got the ultrasonic module error which didn't go away. It was the last day I could return it to the store I bought it at so I exchanged it for the P4P. I would have liked the portability but really wanted reliability. Also, I had a number of video quality issues which may or may not have been me but after playing with the P4P today for a bit I can say the video in noticeably better than the Mavic. I'm really happy I upgraded. Now I just have to get a backpack so I can lug the P4P on my motorcycle :)

P4P hands down. I'm a little biased because I just sold my mavic. I will get a P4P as soon as the new drone gets released.

I love my Mavic for range and flight characteristics, however I'm sour on the camera. It's barely OK, lots of lens flares that my P4 doesn't have nearly as much. I'm thinking of selling the Mavic, but might keep it for those times I need the portability and not so picky about quality. I went to Hawaii last week, left the Mavic home and I took my P4. Does that tell you anything? The P4P is twice the craft the Mavic is, based on what I read and hear. I'd buy the P4P, but I'm waiting for NAB to see what they announce. I highly doubt it's P5, but we'll see.

Last edited:
I had the mavic for 7 days. I had a number of issues pop up all of which were corrected by a reboot. The I got the ultrasonic module error which didn't go away. It was the last day I could return it to the store I bought it at so I exchanged it for the P4P. I would have liked the portability but really wanted reliability. Also, I had a number of video quality issues which may or may not have been me but after playing with the P4P today for a bit I can say the video in noticeably better than the Mavic. I'm really happy I upgraded. Now I just have to get a backpack so I can lug the P4P on my motorcycle :)
This. I was sold on the portability but it's not much good without the reliability. I'm also on a motorcycle, the Mavic and accessories fits easily in my tank-bag, can also charge from there. Going to have to get a hard top box if I switch to the P4P but it'd be worth it if I get the image quality and reliability.

Different birds for different uses. I have one of the first Mavics released and it has been nothing short of amazing. Not a single flight issue. Not a single video issue. Since I received it early in November I only flew my other aircraft for work. I have used the Mavic for both... not because I prefer the quality.. I don't. The Mavic is inferior to the P4 in video quality. Where it crushes everything on the market is portability. Funny thing it's so portable that I forget where it is.... true story. Took my UTV out.... got to a really awesome area.. thought man it would be cool to fly here. To bad I didn't bring the Phantom... HAHAHA.. Was getting some snacks out of my backpack and realized my wife had grabbed the Mavic and put it in my backpack with my DSLR.. BOOM!

I am about to pull the trigger on the P4p for my business. I will tell you this. I have owned just about every model DJI offers except the P4p. The Mavic is probably pretty equal to my P3p in camera.. That said, the Mavic is so useful. If you actually know what you are doing, I have found that you can get very nice video. The Mavic does take a little more effort and planning though and there are limitations that you won't experience with the P4 or even the P3p platform. That said, most of the video I take now is with the Mavic. It requires no Backpack...no huge case.. no real planning or packing. Going on vacation NBD, the Mavic is an afterthought (not a focal point) in the packing. I grab the bag and actually throw it in my carry on bag... HAHAHAHA... Everything in the Flymore package fits in the bag; 3 batteries, two charging options, thing even has an adapter to charge your phone when you aren't at the hotel. Seriously, after receiving the Mavic I sold just about everything I had including TH and Phantoms. That should tell you something. I'm moving up to the P4p for business but I'll wait. until the P5 (it's coming - DJI is apple) is announced in April or May and pick up the P5 or a reduced cost P4p for business.

Keep your Mavic if you can. If you simply have to have the best video always still...keep the Mavic (availability being key). If your sole purpose is for business or work you should sell the Mavic. Heck, if you are flying solely for business you shouldn't solely have a Mavic anyway.

I was sold on the portability but it's not much good without the reliability. I'm also on a motorcycle, the Mavic and accessories fits easily in my tank-bag, can also charge from there.
This is the primary reason I'm keeping my Mavic, even though I'm not in love with the camera. I'm on motorcycles and ORV's (Razr, KTM) many times myself. Mavic is a lot easier to bring along. Usually those flights are for personal pleasure, not commercial. So in those cases the quality of the video isn't as much of a concern. I simply remove all the lens flares during post edit. I don't have any reliability issues, it's always been rock solid, and with admirable range of 2-3mi most places.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic