Mavic and Karma are MIA for the Holiday Season

It'll be interesting to see if GoPro even brings the Karma back, seems like the recall went straight to the overall design of that platform.

It'll be interesting to see if GoPro even brings the Karma back, seems like the recall went straight to the overall design of that platform.

I was on GoPro's tech assistance about a camera issue and while I had their ear I tried to get a bit of info from the tech person about the Karma... they did not know what the exact issue was other than power loss during flight which is already known... I was trying to see if they knew what exactly the design flaw was and when the Karma might be released again.... they had no answer for either.

Bad news for GoPro

On the Mavic, I was on the phone with one of the long standing DJI official distributes and they said the Mavic is just dribbling out and he made it sound like the production of them is going on..... just VERY slow compared to the production abilities of the Phantom line.

An issue (which is already known) on the P4P, those who will receive their birds this next week may not be able to even fly them because of no available app...

Lots of un-tidiness going on this years new releases!...

I hope the Karma does eventually see re-release, so that DJI has more incentive to improve the Mavic (or their customer service :p) and we all win as consumers.

Karma power failure is probably weather related. If Gopro did not factor in lower temps in winter then they probably didn't factor voltage drops. The P3's had this issue when winter arrived in the USA. DJI had numerous P3's drop from the sky. DJI later introduced a firmware that fixed this by lowering motor output to prevent battery shut off. They didn't recall nor did they notify the public. I guess this is the difference between a private and public listed company.

I hope the Karma does eventually see re-release, so that DJI has more incentive to improve the Mavic (or their customer service :p) and we all win as consumers.

Id' think they have too much invested not to come out with something to try to recoup their losses. However, DJI has a way of running people out of the consumer business. I don't think GoPro will have any choice but to scrap the Karma (due to it's reputation and lack of abilities) and come out with something new. At a minimum it will need to have 360 obstacle avoidance and a better camera.

Karma (if it ever flies again) isn't competition for Mavic.
Apart from being woefully inadequate in features and performance, have you seen how big that sucker is?
They advertised it as ultra compact but it's anything but.
It's bigger than a Phantom and heavier than a Phantom
It folds but it's still big.
i-Bnc83D2-L.jpg

i-cPpbmT5-L.jpg

The word compact cannot be applied to the Karma.
Putting Ultra in front of it really says something about the people that tried to stick customers with the thing.
And just to be consistent, their claimed weight is without the (heavy) battery and camera.
I don't think GoPro will have any choice but to scrap the Karma (due to it's reputation and lack of abilities) and come out with something new. At a minimum it will need to have 360 obstacle avoidance and a better camera.
Having taken 2 years to get this clunker to launch and a lot of the company's $$, I don't think they have the ability to start again.

I spent a few hours in the field at a whitewater event with one of the GoPro tech guys. He didn't have a Karma on him (he did have a production Karma Grip). He'd spent several hundred hours recording GoPro sponsored stuff and was totally rock solid on its performance. I was shocked by the total recall, but as a retailer who sells GoPro, and has a relationship with them, I can't imagine this thing not starting up again pretty soon. The amount of money and resources they have tied up, not only in R/D, but advertising and word of mouth - factor in the improving competition, and this will put an enormous dent in their armor.

As soon as this thing ships again, our store is getting a demonstrator for us to use. I will say, though, I'm even more shocked by the complete radio silence from GoPro...

Karma power failure is probably weather related. If Gopro did not factor in lower temps in winter then they probably didn't factor voltage drops. The P3's had this issue when winter arrived in the USA. DJI had numerous P3's drop from the sky. DJI later introduced a firmware that fixed this by lowering motor output to prevent battery shut off. They didn't recall nor did they notify the public. I guess this is the difference between a private and public listed company.

I'm not sure I'd go along with the cold weather theory... the couple videos I saw were in pleasant fall weather, not cold.... not even "cool"... I thought I read something somewhere (again speculation) that there was possible a battery connection issue...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl