Mavic and auto-tracking/collision avoidance

Reaction score
It seems that if the Mavic is in auto-track mode and you are moving towards it the unit must necessarily fly backwards since the camera cannot view to the rear (or at least that is how it appears from looking at pictures of the unit.) If this is the case then it seems possible to accidentally back the unit into a tree or wires or other obstacle when auto-tracking in this manner since collision avoidance only works when moving forward. Am I missing anything here?

And yes, I know that in theory you should be able to see and prevent such a collision, but then again in theory you should always see and prevent collisions and as we all know that's not necessarily what always happens in the real world. Not a show-stopper but just noting it.

If this is the case then it seems possible to accidentally back the unit into a tree or wires or other obstacle when auto-tracking in this manner since collision avoidance only works when moving forward.
Yes, that is certainly a possibility. It would be best to use this feature in areas where there aren't many obstacles.

It seems that if the Mavic is in auto-track mode and you are moving towards it the unit must necessarily fly backwards since the camera cannot view to the rear (or at least that is how it appears from looking at pictures of the unit.) If this is the case then it seems possible to accidentally back the unit into a tree or wires or other obstacle when auto-tracking in this manner since collision avoidance only works when moving forward. Am I missing anything here?

And yes, I know that in theory you should be able to see and prevent such a collision, but then again in theory you should always see and prevent collisions and as we all know that's not necessarily what always happens in the real world. Not a show-stopper but just noting it.
With the phantom 4, you have to select the option to allow it to fly backwards while tracking. You are warned that it will run into anything in its path while going backwards. I assume the mavic will also give this warning. But yes, accident avoidance will not work flying backwards.

The Mavic, same as the P4 has an option to disable the drone from flying backwards in follow me mode or active track

The Mavic, same as the P4 has an option to disable the drone from flying backwards in follow me mode or active track
Does it give a max speed in collision avoidance mode? The reviews suggest it's very limiting. I doubt I would use it. The only thing I have crashed an RC heli into was the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20