master air screw props

Reaction score
For those of you who were wondering....I have a phantom weighs 1356g(no hero3). Currently have 9x5 gws tri props....and they are great. Figured i'd try 9x7 masterairscrews. Have the upgraded motors as well...my set up....dual 2700 storm batteries..simonsays landing gear..fatshark board (mounted internally), off-on micro switch on FPV...fatshark camera (but have hero3 snapon mount so i can unplug fatshark camera and hookup hero for fpv useage)...dx8 with telemetry altitude reporting, temp, etc. At any rate the 9x7 really pulled the battery down fast..less than 10 minutes. Figured i'd try 8x6 masterair screw props.....the quality of their props is awesome...very stout. The weight of 9x7 is twice the weight of 9x5 GWS tri props.....20g each. the 8x6 are 14g and the 7x4 are the same as stock 9x5 gws props, 10g. The 9x7 pulled it up like a rocket ship, but again killed the batteries very fast. The 8x6 lifted it off OK but once it got down to 11 volts it could barely hold it in the air....the 7x4 were a waste of money! I would echo other readers comments in saying that for the money the GWS 9x5 provide you the best value and the best performance...this note is for those who care!

I also tried the 9x7 master airscrews, very nicely made props but had some flying issues with them. It was a bit windy when I tried them so will give them another go but the added weight seemed to slow the reaction time. May need to play with altitude gains a bit as it was very slow to react and couldn't hold altitude too well either shooting up or dropping very quickly and I found it quite tricky to adjust to the basic hover in GPS and ATTI modes. I didnt do much flying with them but will try them again on a calmer day and play with gains. They are in my other pile of nice looking props but not nice to fly. :lol:

Having tried quite a few other props I am still surprised by the GWS 9050 as it does great on my phantom at 1150g and 1300g dual hero3 3d setup using a 2200 turnigy or 2700 storm battery.

I also tried some zinger 9x5 wooden props these are pretty solid and nice but lost about 2 minutes flight time compared to the GWS triblades. Im interested to try the phantom vision 9 inch props as DJI's battery claims on this setup and a 4400 mah battery are a very impressive at 20-25 min but no idea of weight. Must be close to 1200g with the larger battery and camera setup plus larger frame.

GWS 9050 are the bomb at the moment. I gave a spare set to a guy who was flying down at my local park. Had a fly with him the next day and he was amazed at the speed of the tri's. Gave him a look through the fat sharks and he was hooked. First time I have met someone here who owns a phantom. He was off to South Africa on a safari, I dared him to hang a lamb chop off the landing gear when he came across some lions (I would have said a leg of wilderbeast but we all know the capacity of the phantom), he did not seem to keen. Good info on the other props guys :)

So far that makes two people giving the thumbs up to the GWS 9050 tri-blades......and both of them have upgraded motor sets. Anyone flying a STOCK motor set getting good results??

After balancing, with great optimism and anticipation I used them in my standardized timed hover, with a heavy load, and had a very poor flight time. I also then tested a new carbon fiber 9 x 4.7 2 blade set and they were a great improvement over stock props (and 1 triblade flight) under load).l I will test again, but it would be reassuring if someone using the stock motor set would report the same positive experience.

Well, I just ordered the GSW Props from the Florida guy on eBay... estimated delivery is on Saturday...

I'll try and fly them that day, weather permitting...I hope I like them...

PJA said:
Well, I just ordered the GSW Props from the Florida guy on eBay... estimated delivery is on Saturday...

I'll try and fly them that day, weather permitting...I hope I like them...
Make your own tests. I alway try these when new battery brand mAh or props:

1) Naked phantom
2) FPV only (CCD 520 camera)
3) GoPro Hero3 + waterproof case
4) Gimbal + Hero3 + other stuff

Use same battery as possible for accurate results, and share them ;)

I've got my phantom fitted up with the tri blades. I'm still running the stock motors. I'll weight my bird when I get a chance as it must be pushing the limit (VTX, servo gimbal, OSD). To windy to fly now . . .

I was actually driving past a golf course earlier today and looking for a phantom flying above it, but alas, martcerv wasn't out flying hahaha

How are people going about balancing them? I haven't been able to come up with a method I feel is reliable.

Good question Drif, I am new to this but I put the prop on the balancer to find the heaviest blade then I apply tape to the lightest blade first then I work between the 2 lighter blades so the prop will sit in any position without rotation. If you have balanced properly you will have only applied tape to 2 props. Basically I balance the 2 lighter props to the heaviest one. This seems to work very well.

I use the same method as Boat chaser, in the end you should have tape on only 2 props. If you balance them perfectly then you can place them in any position and they wont rotate at all.

The GWS props do need a fair bit of balancing compared to the MA props which were very close to balanced, just a shame they aren't as good in flight due to higher pitch and weight. They are very solid props and if they flew like the GWS they would be perfect but unfortunately they arent.

I need to balance a few new ones as I trashed all my originals, I did some golf course flying last nite finished up in complete darkness. If you FPV at night or very late having the gopro set at 30p or lower i protune with cam raw will make it very easy to fly when you cant see yourself still. I did some tree dodging in total darkness, wrecked my last set of GWS props pushing battery just that little bit too far on the first flight. I tried to see if I could make a full course flyover in one manual mode flight. Its a different course with lots more trees so a bit awkward and I had a partial radio glitch at one point which lost me about 30 seconds. I did make it around 18 holes and back to me but came down rather hard and flipped when it hit the ground breaking a prop. Total distance covered would have been around 8km in just over 8 minutes fairly high altitude to try maintain LOS with all the big trees around me.

I then flew the zingers for a few flights after that shame I didnt have the master airscrews with me but I found them a bit of a handful to fly with precise altitude control and shorter flight times. The zinger 9x5's fly ok but slower and about 2 minutes shorter then the GWS.

I ordered some more GWS props along with the PMUv2 and mini osd so I will be able to test props much safer seeing my actual battery levels during flight without needing to stay within LED reading range.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik