Marylander here, should I even bother flying?

Reaction score
Earlier this week I saw there was a 25km (15 miles or so) no fly zone around the White House area in DC. I'm around Annapolis so I barely made it out of the green circle of doom. I thought "cool" and hopped online and picked up a P3 Advanced (it arrived today btw).

Today I read a story that the area has been pushed out to 30 miles which is way up to almost Baltimore. I have this brand-new P3 sitting here boxed up and I'm debating if I should bother opening it or send it back.

AMA said something about sitting tight until mid-January of 2016, but I don't know if I just spent > $1K for nothing, or if this ridiculous no fly area will be reduced a bit.

What do you expert pilots recommend?

I'm going to guess here. I've had my P3 for a month, so certainly not an expert. I did join AMA, and I've been trying to keep up with their stuff. They seem primarily interested in the current model used by most fixed wing pilots - flying at a club field. My guess is that they are going to petition for AMA associated fields to be out of the restriction. I don't think they seem as interested in opening up the skies in general.

I'm in Frederick County - the giant sphere of no-fly goodness reaches almost to me.

Im in Md as well and yes areas are reduced due to DC. Im afraid that things may get worse. As long as you know that ahead of time. Also, what is your purpose for buying it? Fun? Photography?

At what point does the aggrivation and expense out weigh the benifit??? Your call

I live about 2 to 3 miles from the edge of that 30 mile ( and did I mention paranoid ridiculous ) limit. There are some places not too far for you. Sandy Point State Park is clear. So is Ft Armistead outside of Baltimore. Herrington Harbor North where I keep the boat is within and we need to sail a ways out to fly there. There are some others spaces towards Gibson Island including Downs Park.

So there are plenty of places to fly, you just need to drive.

...or return it to DJI, tell them you are one of the millions that can't fly in your own back yard and that they should lobby the id10ts in DC to open the skies up in a reasonable manner.

So there are plenty of places to fly, you just need to drive..
I agree. You have to be creative.
You can always go out further and record Amish Buggies......lol
Sad thing is that the 30 mile radius knocks out Many great photo opportunities in this region.
I have a 40ft Camper and plan on taking the P3 with us on travel this year.

[QUOTE="Formstone, post: 618742, member: 43282" Sandy Point State Park is clear. So is Ft Armistead outside of Baltimore. Herrington Harbor North where I keep the boat is within and we need to sail a ways out to fly there. There are some others spaces towards Gibson Island including Downs Park.[/QUOTE]

State parks are a no fly zone.

[QUOTE="Formstone, post: 618742, member: 43282" Sandy Point State Park is clear. So is Ft Armistead outside of Baltimore. Herrington Harbor North where I keep the boat is within and we need to sail a ways out to fly there. There are some others spaces towards Gibson Island including Downs Park.

Where did you find aboit about state parks? I couldn't find anything official.[/QUOTE]

Sandy Point State Park is clear. So is Ft Armistead outside of Baltimore. Herrington Harbor North where I keep the boat is within and we need to sail a ways out to fly there. There are some others spaces towards Gibson Island including Downs Park.

Federal Parks possibly, but that is COMPLETELY FALSE. As of now, there is No law stating all Md State Parks are NoFly. ...and just as 1 example, how about an AMA field right smack dab in the middle of a state park?? See link below.........

Google Maps

To my knowledge national parks. Not state of MD parks. Have not found a thing. I know governor Hogan is waiting to see what the FAA does as stated in a few news articles.

( edited for typos and stupid autocorrect )

Last edited:
I am starting to get a few feelings on the 30 NM limit from DCA and some other FAA PDF files right from the FAA UAS area off of http://faa.gov here is what I am gleaming;

There is a constant reference to "Community Guidelines." This is making me think that the FAA and AMA are working in the background on something but it is not yet public. The AMA statement of ~not to register for its members is a little telling here. I wonder if all AMA members will be registered gratis as part of the membership and as AMA members, you get more leeway on certain things. Like flying at an AMA filed inside that 30 mile limit.

The second thing is that on this document: https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf the "Community Guidelines is mentioned several times and more importantly the SRFA processes and flying in certain SRFA areas requires clearance from air traffic control. As an example, all the AMA fields might have perpetual clearance 7 days a week from sunrise to sunset with a 400' height and a 2000' radius from its HQ or within a field boundary what have you.

You might also say, hey, I am 22 miles from DCA, I am in this cornfield in Shadyside and want to fly in this time window and limit myself to 2000' from this coordinate. You submit ahead of time and you get an email back from ATA saying yea or nea. I can see this adding more FAA employees and AFSCME union members so you know the FAA would love that too.

Just some thoughts.

Due to security issues, I don't see FAA even giving you clearance to just fly. Commercial guys (who all ready have different rules) may get permission if you show due cause. I still have a hard time with FAA creating these"rules" after Congress said they nave NO authority over model aircraft. And even with that, FAA can "fine" you $27000 with No due process?
For those who need proof, look at pg 68. Section 336
https://www.gpo.gov › fdsys › pkg › pdf

I think the FAA is looking for a solution, too many disenfranchised people, too much business lost. I think the 15 miles or basically inside the beltway no one really cares but the 30 miles just adds to the pile of why public opinion of the US government is at an all time low. If nothing else, I bet AMA sanctioned fields and maybe state/county parks that allow RC are going to open up.

As to private flight outside the 15 not at an AMA field, I hope something is done. It's too restrictive and perhaps a class action lawyer would want to chase the government pie.

Notice how so many members want to "throw the drone under the bus". We're not like them guys attitude. I've flown string/ line controlled back in the 70s, rc planes, through the 80s and 90s, and I've never seen any of the failsafe items on today's P3 in all those yrs combined.
There sure are a few of those.

I flew a month or so ago at the AMA field over in the Baltimore Highlands, several of the regulars were messing with some sub $50 quads and having a blast. I rolled out the P2V+ and all but one person came over to look. I pulled out my AMA card and they all loved being able to watch the P2V+ take off. For fun I ran the screen share cable from my iPhone to the Mac laptop so they could watch the screen. They loved it. Out over the river, hover, pan the city and highlands then back to base.

Like any other society, there will always be those that carpet bomb blame on something they do not like. One look at politics in the media says it all.

Here are some pictures and signs at Southwest Airpark.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452271670.935156.jpg

.Just a mile or so shy of the 30NM from the Reichstag.

So sad.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452271708.687552.jpg

Until they roll out the new software, you can fly beyond the 15 mile zone around the white house. When the new software goes into effect, You will be able to fly even in the 15-30 mile zone of you identify yourself to DJI.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I live just inside the SFRA, and am curious if other people inside the SFRA (or FRZ for that matter) still "practice" flying in their backyards? In otherwords, stay below ~150ft AGL or so, and just practice your flying?

Or is there still a risk of penalty/fines?

The key words are it is possible you will get caught. Face fines and penalties. Have your phantom confiscated.

Odds are probably low but I'd not take the chance. Especially given the current behavior of the federal government.

I live in Frederick Maryland, actually Walkersville and I have flow a little over half a mile and I love it. There is an area in Walkersville called Heritage Park which allows flying at the moment and it is awesome. About 600 acres of nothing there. I actually called the city council and they were cool with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj