Mars Mini Recovery Parachute System

Given the sensitivity of the P2V+ gimbal, I have a hard time believing that a 1-yard-wide parachute would protect it much. You might be able to salvage some of the remains, but the gimbal/camera is half of the cost of the entire Phantom, and I understand that getting replacement parts ain't easy.

That's 3.6oz/102grams, which is a bit heavy.
Well, maybe not too heavy.

It's also 1.5"x4.8", which is kind of big for a phantom.
It needs to be mounted vertically on top so you'll have a permanent 4.8 inch tower on the top of your phantom.
You'll also need a servo connection and an extra channel to manually deploy.

PVFlyer is working on making the 7 channel active with in his app now. But I'm not sure if his plan is to leave the channel open, or to use with gimbal control?

I currently like doing max altitude flights and may have a interest in something like the parachute. But, as I think about the benefits of having something like this, I can also come up with just as many reasons why not to have it. If flying directly above an extremely open area, then no doubt hook up the parachute system. But if tree's are in the area, then probably not. And, I'm not so sure what to think if wind is a primary concern. The wind alone could cause it to go far enough that high traveled road come onto factor. Maybe it's me, but it also seems to be priced a little high. If it weighed 1/2 of what it currently weighs, then it might be ok at that dollar amount.

flyNfrank said:
PVFlyer is working on making the 7 channel active with in his app now. But I'm not sure if his plan is to leave the channel open, or to use with gimbal control?

I currently like doing max altitude flights and may have a interest in something like the parachute. But, as I think about the benefits of having something like this, I can also come up with just as many reasons why not to have it. If flying directly above an extremely open area, then no doubt hook up the parachute system. But if tree's are in the area, then probably not. And, I'm not so sure what to think if wind is a primary concern. The wind alone could cause it to go far enough that high traveled road come onto factor. Maybe it's me, but it also seems to be priced a little high. If it weighed 1/2 of what it currently weighs, then it might be ok at that dollar amount.
Max altitude, what's the highest you got?

Mori55 said:
Kinda heavy? How do you activate ? What's it going to do on a flyaway with props spinning.

I checked these out a couple of months ago. It uses a 9g RC servo to trigger deployment. The problem is we don't have an available channels on our transmitter to activate the chute.

You really want that weight and bulk on quad ? Not reall usefull in a flyaway IMHO .
I guess if your battery shut off it would work.

I've been thinking about designing a parachute my self for the phantom, you don't really need a spring loaded device, the air flow will pull the chute if the phantom goes into freefall. The biggest issue is a triggering device. Best thing I can come up with atm is build a little container on top of the phantom that has air flow channels in it that let air pass from the underside of the unit to the container. The container is held closed by a solenoid whilst the unit has power. If you lose power in the air the container opens and the chute is pulled open by the back draft. You just have to make sure the door is closed any time you turn the unit on.

You could make them for almost nothing since they only have 1 electric and 1 mechanical part really.

Mori55 said:
I guess if your battery shut off it would work.
No. It's not automatic. You'd need the battery and receiver functioning to manually deploy it.

Mori55 said:
What if your hovering ?? Will you get the air flow ?
If it's hovering, you don't need it.
It's manually deployed and you wouldn't want to deploy it unless you were falling.

While adding a parachute might help if it deploys to prevent the 'copter from free falling, it might also cause problems by adding weight, accidentally being triggered in flight, interfering with the control signal, etc.

You need to weigh the benefit against the risks taking into account the likelihood of the events. How likely is it that your Phantom will suffer a battery failure in flight? If that happens, how likely is it that the parachute could be deployed in time? How likely is it that the parachute will open correctly and slow the descent enough to prevent damage? How likely is it that the 'chute might accidentally deploy and cause damage? How likely is it that the deployment mechanism might interfere with the quadcopter's control? And so on.

Personally, I don't think the likelihood that the parachute system would ever prove useful is less than the likelihood that it might cause problems. And the problems it might cause would be as great as those it is intended to prevent. So, I don't think I would consider it.

On the other hand, even though I bought a "Ready to Fly" quadcopter, I enjoy tinkering with it and havve made several modifications to it. Though I'm probably not going to add a parachute to it, I could see how it might be fun to experiment with the idea.

-- Roger

please use the manual auto trigger never the mayday board. it may prematurely deploy the parachute.

Hi everyone… After more than 3 weeks..yesterday finally my stress was over. The distributor of the mayday board in Santiago, Chile gave a me a new Phantom 3 Advance and also installed mars but this time I requested the manual trigger. He was a good friend of mine and he decided to give me the whole package for free. He refused to take any money from me… I am very pleased with the distributor who act fast and did the right thing.

How may threads do you have going on this same topic?
This is #3 so far I've seen.

How may threads do you have going on this same topic?
This is #3 so far I've seen.
Pls don't get me wrong. I m new to forum n thought that I have to create many to reply all. Only now I got it clear. Bit confusing how to create new thread too. Sorry!!

You gotta be kidding $160.00 for this small package you gotta be desperate !!NO SALE!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4