Marking your P3 for registration purposes

What is an N number? Why is this different from what you get when you register with the FAA?

An N Number is for commercial purposes, like if you want to fly your drone for money, accompanied by the 333 Exemption. You have to fill out a paper application, and submit with it just about every specification known to man about the drone you are registering. Think of it this way: The N Number registration registers a particular drone to a person, while this new FAA registration just registers the user, not the drones they own.

Hopefully someone else can explain it better than me. Search the forums here... there are PLENTY of posts about the N Number registration.

It seems like a nice flat area to mark your drone would be along the leg. I did it on mine with a label maker, which I do not recommend, but it seems like it will be a nice place for your numbers. You can see I also put a number on the body but with the curve I don't think it is going to hold up to long.

Eventually I will go in to a print shop and have numbers printed on industrial style tape. I just don't think these label maker stickers will hold up in the cold or humidity?

719F704C-AF85-4269-85EB-E0099E113B23_zpsikxa4pnc.jpg

So I have my bird similarly marked to the way you have yours. I really don't want my neighbors wondering if I registered so I made it quite obvious that it was. The black on orange quietly screams:

I'm REGISTERED

!Drone 6x4.jpg

An N Number is for commercial purposes, like if you want to fly your drone for money, accompanied by the 333 Exemption. You have to fill out a paper application, and submit with it just about every specification known to man about the drone you are registering. Think of it this way: The N Number registration registers a particular drone to a person, while this new FAA registration just registers the user, not the drones they own.

Hopefully someone else can explain it better than me. Search the forums here... there are PLENTY of posts about the N Number registration.

Thank you for explaining that to me.

Thank you for explaining that to me.

I was in the process of getting an N number for my drone just before the new rules came out. I had gotten all of the stuff together and even reserved my very own personalized N number, planned on putting everything together and submitting over the holidays. But then as Yamamoto had said some 74 years and two weeks earlier: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Well you get the picture.

If you take a look at the FAA web page I had linked to you can see that the numbers can all be looked up buy registered name, serial of the craft, registered number and any number of other bits of information. As an example, here Justin Bieber has lost his Monkey in Florida.

justin_bieber_56943.jpg

From that N number we can deduce that on that day he was getting a lift from these guys:

biebersMonkey.jpg

Some people feel that is a bit of an invasion of their privacy.

See what I'm saying @natvtrader ?

So what is the paranoia with this public record? If you aren't doing anything wrong or misbehaving with the drone why is it a problem? People don't realize that the government has access to any of your information anytime they'd like to use it. And the general public can find basic information on anyone like what is provided in this FAA information page.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenjancef
So what is the paranoia with this public record? If you aren't doing anything wrong or misbehaving with the drone why is it a problem? People don't realize that the government has access to any of your information anytime they'd like to use it. And the general public and find basic information on anyone like what is provided in this FAA information page.

I feel the same. You know that your info will be public, at least for the N Number registration. So if you have a problem with that, then DON'T REGISTER. It's that simple... or at least to me it is...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie