Marco Polo Recovery/tracking system.

Reaction score
IMG_20150607_093623253_HDR.jpg
I have the Marco Polo Tracking system attached to my P2 and P3 and it works great. I lost the transmitter when I knocked it off picking up my copter and didn't notice it until I got home. Went back to the park and used the locator and walked right up to it. saved me $95 bucks. Be sure to get the RC version. I have it mounted upside down. The props might hit it installed as shown. It's velcroed on.
http://eurekaproducts.com/shop/marco-polo-rc-recovery-system/

Reactions: Milehighdesign
i like that marco polo system and i wanted it for my Phantom1 2 years ago but too bad it isnt allowed in europe because of some frequencies it uses. Would love to use it

How is the reception when tracking it? The included instructions indicate to have the antenna in a vertical position for the best reception.

How is the reception when tracking it? The included instructions indicate to have the antenna in a vertical position for the best reception.

Don't know for sure. I have only used it once to locate the transmitter when I knocked it off when picking my quad up on it's last flight of the day and didn't notice it until I got home. Went back to the park using the tracking crt and it pointed me right to it within 1 foot with a starting distance of about a block. Supposed to locate it from within a mile or two. No telling what position the quad will be in when lost so I don't think it matters which direction the antenna is pointed. Just don't have it pointed up into the arc of the props as I have, I just placed it that way for the photo only.

...No telling what position the quad will be in when lost so I don't think it matters which direction the antenna is pointed.

Thanks for the info. No doubt about guessing what position the aircraft would be in when found. According to the 'operating instructions' it does matter if the antenna is pointed vertical or horizontal.

I mounted it to a piece of angled aluminum which is sticky foamed to the gimbal guard so the antenna is vertical. Hope I never have to use it.

I had to use my Marco Polo today actually. But don't rule out pet tag. I have both rc and pet and almost like pet version better as the battery life is much better.

I had to use my Marco Polo today actually. But don't rule out pet tag. I have both rc and pet and almost like pet version better as the battery life is much better.
Aircraft ok?

Really. I'd thought they would have used the same board, components, and battery, just ditched the plastic pet holder.

I think the pet version is less in cost. Could maybe cut it open and take out the guts and shrink tube it like the RC version? Or maybe the charge adapter is attached to the platic exterior?

Aircraft is fine. Pilot is an idiot.

You can send the pet units back and he will convert them to RC for around $25.00. The RC antenna is better range. I am honestly probably going to do as you said and cut it open and get big battery and better antenna. Have best of both.

I think its time to open mine up !

Reactions: Gary E
Wish I had done this sooner. 4 screws under label.

BIG battery. The unit operates at 902 to 906 mhz. A 1/4 wave dipole is 234/ f in mhz. The antenna is just a wire that is 3.1" long. The dog tracker power switch and charging port are just like the RC version.

Shrink rap and you are good to go. This will be my new 3DR Solo tracker :)

mp (1).jpg mp (2).jpg

Aircraft is fine. Pilot is an idiot.

You can send the pet units back and he will convert them to RC for around $25.00. The RC antenna is better range. I am honestly probably going to do as you said and cut it open and get big battery and better antenna. Have best of both.

I think its time to open mine up !

Well, dang programming, they want to go in a straight line. Or, dang river for not going in a straight line. Land recovery is definitely better than a water recovery. Don't know how the Marco Polo would fare in the water. Don't want to find out.

Interesting info on the pet version.

Last edited:
Wish I had done this sooner. 4 screws under label.

BIG battery. The unit operates at 902 to 906 mhz. A 1/4 wave dipole is 234/ f in mhz. The antenna is just a wire that is 3.1" long. The dog tracker power switch and charging port are just like the RC version.

Shrink rap and you are good to go. This will be my new 3DR Solo tracker :)

View attachment 21988 View attachment 21989
With all of the turns in it, that antenna looks longer than the RC version. And the battery looks huge to what might be under the shrink tubing on the RC tracker. You may be on to something there.

Well I know he uses different batteries and as you said the pet version antenna is coiled up. So this is why the RC version has better range and less battery life. I am HAPPY now. I just need to solder on a 3.1" wire and shrink wrap it.

Yea the mission deal I messed up. I moved a way point and did not realize I drug the path across the bend in river.

One more thing. 600mah 3.7 volt LiPo batteries are common on ebay. All shapes and sizes. They have RC versions that are flat with wiring pigtails on them too.

One more thing. 600mah 3.7 volt LiPo batteries are common on ebay. All shapes and sizes. They have RC versions that are flat with wiring pigtails on them too.
Yes. My concern is that they are LiPo batteries that need more attention to a storage charge in the 50/60% range, whereas the Li-ion that comes on the Marco Polo tag are not so temperamental about that. Those can be left at full charge without issues.

What I have will work fine for me. The RC range is a plus but did not like the shorter batter life. Already have the antenna replaced. Just need to decide what I want to do with shrink wrap.

If you change from the internal helical antenna on the pet version to the 3.1" wire antenna there is a tuning component on the circuit board that should be changed to match the impedance. It is the component that is directly in series with the antenna on the battery side of the board. In the pet version it is a 2.5 pF capacitor, for the RC antenna it should be a 10 nH inductor (both 0603 size). We have detailed instructions available for anyone wishing to convert a pet tag. Just drop an email to the contact form on www.eurekaproducts.com

If you change from the internal helical antenna on the pet version to the 3.1" wire antenna there is a tuning component on the circuit board that should be changed to match the impedance. It is the component that is directly in series with the antenna on the battery side of the board. In the pet version it is a 2.5 pF capacitor, for the RC antenna it should be a 10 nH inductor (both 0603 size). We have detailed instructions available for anyone wishing to convert a pet tag. Just drop an email to the contact form on www.eurekaproducts.com
Excellent info. Thanks for posting.

LOL, Hi Tim. I was just going to report back here with the info I got from you so no one went down the wrong path with just changing the antenna. But I see you have already been here !

Thanks. Appreciate your great products and service.

Rich

Hey guys here is a picture of the two Tags. Ended up having Marco Polo modify my dog version which gives me big battery with the RC version antenna.

This is the best of both worlds for me. I don't have to worry about charging the battery as often and pick up extra range.

So the hybrid on left (started as dog version) and RC version on right.

For a Phantom the weight difference really doesnt matter so go big or go home :)

20150702_144558.jpg

Looks good. Longer range with the dog version?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4