Marco-Polo interfering with the signal?

Reaction score
When flying with my marco polo swiched on the other day the signal to the fpv was terrible, cutting in and out every few seconds.

I brought the bird back an turned the marco polo off, everything was fine.

I have it zip tied to the leg with the most wires traveling down it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have mine Velcroed to the front left upper leg with the MP antenna running down the left front leg and have never experienced a signal interference problem.

vent holes 2.jpg

When flying with my marco polo swiched on the other day the signal to the fpv was terrible, cutting in and out every few seconds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The Phantom antennas are in the legs. These are the wires you mention. Zip tie it as far away from the Phantom antennas as you can and you will probably get better results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I attached mine on the back leg above the antenna attenuators. No interference has been noticed.
image.jpeg

Hey, Fplvert. Just a suggestion regarding your MP mounted position. According to the company, you're weakest MP signal will happen when the antenna is lying parallel to the ground, strongest when it is vertical, and somewhere in between at 45 degrees. Since you have a good possibility of your Phantom crashing and landing upside down, or auto landing and landing top-side up, your current antenna position will wind up parallel to the ground - resulting in a weak signal and possibly making it more difficult to find. I mounted mine with the antenna running down a leg because it will wind up vertically oriented if coming to rest either top-side up or upside down, or at a 45 degree angle while tipped over onto any of the prop arms. And in my case it can only wind up parallel to the ground if it gets hung up in a tree or bush in a weird orientation. I'm just playing the antenna orientation odds so that I get the strongest signal if lost.

Last edited:
I have mine Velcroed to the front left upper leg with the MP antenna running down the left front leg and have never experienced a signal interference problem.

View attachment 50243
I think this is a good idea.

I was thinking the same for when I crash. Almost certain to end upside down.

There are wires running down all 4 legs. 1 has several wires, the others have 1 each What are these?

The Marco Polo is on 900 mgh...
Nowhere near the DJI spectrum.
Just mount the transmitter on the landing gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
o

I velcroed mine underneath the battery compartment. I have the standard so no vision positioning in the way.

It would seem to me Marco polo shouldn't interfere at all in sleep mode. I'm wondering if the op turned on the beacon when he got the video interference. I would think mp is only listening in sleep mode, waiting for the beacon to be turned on, at which time it starts transmitting signal. Normally you'd only turn on the beacon when the craft is lost, after you have lost video feed.

When flying with my marco polo swiched on the other day the signal to the fpv was terrible, cutting in and out every few seconds. Any suggestions? .

Turn on Marco polo during flight but don't activate the beacon with the tracker until after you lose the craft. It shouldn't interfere in sleep mode since it's not transmitting, it's only listening.

I have done heaps of flight tests with the marco polo switched on and off
( just the beakon that is strapped to the bird )
Every time it is switched off the fpv signal is perfect.
Every time it is on, the signal has a delay every 3-5 secs or so.
This only happens when the bird is out past the 4000 ft mark.
There is no signal issue when flying close ( up to 3000ft )

Have tried moving the tracker to different parts of the bird but not much difference.

I have done heaps of flight tests with the marco polo switched on and off
( just the beakon that is strapped to the bird )
Every time it is switched off the fpv signal is perfect.
Every time it is on, the signal has a delay every 3-5 secs or so.
This only happens when the bird is out past the 4000 ft mark.
There is no signal issue when flying close ( up to 3000ft )

Have tried moving the tracker to different parts of the bird but not much difference.
Just because the MP transmits at 900 mHz doesn't mean it won't interfere with other frequencies. Sounds like you have done some reasonable testing. So move the transmitter (you don't say if you have done so) around to see if that changes. There are enough people running MPs to say that the device doesn't inherently mess things up. It is also possible that you have a bad transmitter unit that is leaking RFI or has some sidebands that are interfering. This is a very complex, highly tuned, low power system. It doesn't take a whole lot to mess it up and from your description it is only failing when asked to really work hard.

Why do you need the beacon transmitting while flying? Why not leave the mp in sleep mode, and wake up only when you lose the bird ? In sleep mode the battery lasts over three weeks if left on.

I think there is confusion on what is on and off.
I think the OP is testing with beacon as you call, on and off, but with the controller off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav