Mapping with a Phantom Quadcopter

Well that was clever and cool. great idea for the bungee mount but wouldnt velcro be lighter than bungee?

Did you try video with rig?

I wonder if a bigger battery, mounted on the underside between the foam and the camera would give more flying time. You are already near the weight threshold for this rig with 18A ESC controllers. The F450 uses the same 4 motors but has 30A ESC which lets the motors draw harder and longer without overheating, and can handle a bigger battery. But its the same motors and props, so I know they can lift.

Thanks, it seems to do a pretty good job for mapping site specific locations or rapid response projects. I used bungee cords because I couldn't use Velcro due to the LCD screen and buttons on the back of the camera. I find 4 minutes of flight usually gives me lots of time to image the areas I need (plus I have 5 more batteries in the case if it’s a larger project). I haven’t used a video cameras on the rig because I’m really only interested in still images.

What software package do you use for orthorectifying the images? Also what level of accuracy are you achieving on the 3D point values? I'm interested as I use aerial techniques to produce 3D deliverables also. Cheers for any reply.

Great job, Paul!

I've stumbled upon your blog and made my mind to get a Phantom. I'm about to start using for mapping. Regarding accuracy, I got student who will conduct some experiments to assess diverse low-cost mapping techniques (kites, balloons and of course, the phantom). I'll post the results here.

Very very cool, thanks for sharing Paul!

I'm exploring a number of alternative uses for this and similar platforms, and this is definitely going on my list.

Add me to the list of people who are very interested in mapping and aerial surveying with a Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers