Mapping software - Datumate/3Dsurvey/?

Reaction score
Hello, I currently work with a smaller surveying firm that mostly does legal work. As such, a large portion of what we do is topographic site plans as a first step for a client to get a demo permit, building permit, ECT ECT from the city. We display roads, utility's, buildings and other permanent features, contours and trees (including trunk diameter, drip line diameter), fences ECT.

I would like to use my phantom 4 pro to map out larger lots and multi-lot projects to save time and gather a more complete data set. I was thinking as for field work besides flying and capturing the images I would set up GCPs, find and tie property pins and a elevation monument and note the tree specifications. The rest I would hope to be able to take care of by digitizing the photos or point cloud but at that point I'm lost.

Is anyone else out there doing this? What is the best approach? Datumsurvey does exactly what I want by being able to digitize on oblique photos, which is handy obviously because if I were to digitize on an orthophoto I would miss a lot of features due to overhead obstructions (trees, eaves, ECT) the only issue is Datumsurvey's 15,000 price plus maintenance fees.

3dsurvey offers a cheaper solution but I'm having difficulty finding useful info on them past their cheasy promo videos on YouTube.

Are there any other options out there? I'm familiar with agisoft but I don't know how useful it is for someone making survey plans.

I've been experimenting with Agisoft's photoscan. It's quite good but requires a system with a more powerful GPU than what my 2013 MacBook Pro brings to the table. I have a 64 core MacPro tasked for computer forensics I'm debating retasking to agisoft to test.

I'm also looking at OpenDroneMap, open source software for processing aerial maps. Site link is:

Opendronemap by OpenDroneMap

$15,000 is a steep barrier to entry unless you have the billings to justify the expense. I've never used Datumsurvey thus am unqualified to speak to its performance.

Pix4d also offers the tool I am looking for. See 18:00 in this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm looking for something that does what datusurvey does, in the creation of 2d survey maps.
What are you currently using for your survey software? Using any of the aforementioned software packages, you could export a georeferenced ortho and bring it into your existing software, then add all of your line drawings.

Photoscan.

If I work with an orthophoto how can I get features under cover such as sides of houses, pathways under tree cover ECT. Id like to be able to work with oblique photos as well such as Pix4d or datusurvey

how can I get features under cover
Ah, I see what you're after. We don't do much line work, so I don't really know. Trimble Business Center may be another option; it has a UAV and Photogrammetry module, along with the standard surveying and CAD features.

Photoscan.

If I work with an orthophoto how can I get features under cover such as sides of houses, pathways under tree cover ECT. Id like to be able to work with oblique photos as well such as Pix4d or datusurvey

You also shoot many obliques.

I work for a small engineering/surveying firm as well and have similar goals. There is a learning curve i've been learning for the last year or so for sure! I've just signed up for as many trials as i can so i can use each software to decide what i like and what works best for me. Currently using, skycatch, recap360 and civil3d '17.

I've always heard drone deploy was the best, and have had good look with it. skycatch looks neat too, going to try it

We use pix4d. Line work can be added in the 3D environment and exported as .dxf. Then we drag and drop in civil3d with the ortho and the dtm. The new dtm can produce very smooth contour lines which we use for the final drawing.

It depends whether you are interested in a CAD or GIS approach.

Nanocad is a good free/cheap CAD for drawing on georefenced point clouds and orthophotos.

Global Mapper a good cheap GIS for do all these things... it also works well on DTMs...

You could also use QGIS (free) with the right plugins ;)

So it's been about 3mo since i commented on this post, and since then i have been testing Datumate extensively. There is a steep learning curve but the end product is really good. I have worked very hard to learn this program so i can reproduce the standard 2d and 3d surveys our clients have come to trust from our company. Im curious if anyone else has tried this software in the last few months? I can tell you its not perfect but its geared more towards surveying than any other product on the market that i have found.

Mapillary's OpenSFM would be the answer if you were willing to learn it.
Open Drone Map focusses primarily on the creation of maps, and uses an older version of OpenSFM.
ColMap does a great job, but doesn't texture map.

I have built a cradle and timing capture device for the Emlid Reach RTK/PPK unit. When fitted on my Phantom 4 it captures precise timing and raw GPS data for post processed RTK (can capture RTK but why carry the extra weight?).
With this on my P4 I get sub 50cm agreement between my orthomosiac and my reference points.
With a single GCP at the launch site and then applying a global shift this comes down to sub 25cm.
These results were obtained using photoscan for processing.
See image for install photo
File%2021-8-17%2C%2009%2035%2010.jpeg

I mainly use Photoscan Pro and 3D Survey - drone2map is another good one - none of these online systems will give you control over what you are looking to do, the main thing is to take good quality images at different angles and distances, and heights to ensure you cover all based - straight down, 45 degrees, 90 degrees (look at side shots) etc, etc - if you had a standard survey of say 100 arial images for a ortho, you'd take around 300 for a full 3d style survey - so you also walk around the side taking different side angle shots of building for example (using the same camera and lens otherwise you will have to do different chunks which won't match) - online processing doesn't work well for this - and you have no control such as checking manual orientation, and manual image matching for accuracy. Doing all that with Photoscan Pro and 3D survey allows us to make very accurate picutres which can also be volumetrically calculated as well. Dont forget to add in proper ground control points with survey grade measurements and you can quite easily get 4-6cm accuracy.

3D Survey is a good package, will not give as good results and Photoscan Pro - doesn't have as many options, but is good for survey type, measurements, point clouds and is quick(er) than Photoscan Pro.

The best flight control software would be map pilot due to the terrain options, and also UGCS, Dataumate is not a bad one but is not the most resilient package Ive used.

I work for a small engineering/surveying firm as well and have similar goals. There is a learning curve i've been learning for the last year or so for sure! I've just signed up for as many trials as i can so i can use each software to decide what i like and what works best for me. Currently using, skycatch, recap360 and civil3d '17.

recap is so hit or miss for me. it also seems to have trouble with unit conversions often. i actually went back to doing it the old way, importing a .las direct into C3D by using the 2017 edition. The new C3D makes you use ReCap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers