Map question

Reaction score
Does DJI Go app get map data from iMap using phone service or wifi?

Is the current data cached and used by Go app later?

I ask these questions because my iPad mini 3 does not have cellular so I was wondering if I make my iPhone a hot spot in order to bring up iMap data on iPad, will Go app have new location map? I have a P3S so I will have to reconnect iPad to RC.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI GO uses Apple maps. You either have to cache the maps in DJI GO before you head out to fly or tether to a device (e.g. your iPhone) that has an Internet connection while out flying.

Reactions: Squirrel!
When I fly my P3S I just get a grey screen where the map view should be. I downloaded the Google map for my area, how do I get it to show up on my map view?
I'm using Android. Is there a setting within the dji app to download maps?

On Android devices, all you need to do is connect to the Internet, open DJI GO, and scroll around the map in DJI GO at the zoom level you'd like to fly. Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On Android devices, all you need to do is connect to the Internet, open DJI GO, and scroll around the map in DJI GO at the zoom level you'd like to fly. Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Do you have to do this everytime before you go out. That seems to be the case I am experiencing.
P3S,IPAD Mini2. WIfi only.

On Apple devices, the DJI GO app should cache the map images if you have the "General Settings" --> "Cache Map in the Background" setting. I'm not sure how often DJI GO breaks that cache.

Forgive me, but I'm a bit confused. On the P3S you can connect the iPad, sans, cellular, to the RC or to your iPhone but not both at the same time. Therefore do you first connect iPad to iPhone wifi hotspot, bring up Apple map of your location, reconnect wifi to RC, then start DJI Go app and it will have the correct map?

Forgive me, but I'm a bit confused. On the P3S you can connect the iPad, sans, cellular, to the RC or to your iPhone but not both at the same time. Therefore do you first connect iPad to iPhone wifi hotspot, bring up Apple map of your location, reconnect wifi to RC, then start DJI Go app and it will have the correct map?

Concensus seems to be, at home, connect the IPAD to home network, Apple maps, scroll around the area. Close wifi to home network, then connect to phantom3 and you should be able to see map detail. I don't have an IPhone. I am an android person. Only reason I got an IPAD is I heard they worked better. So far OK except for screen brightness. I just got a hood so will see how that works, THANKS>

I have tried this and all I get is region where I am presently. I would like to be able to replace one map with another while I have a home network wifi.

I have tried this and all I get is region where I am presently. I would like to be able to replace one map with another while I have a home network wifi.

I think you need to type in the address/location of the new place at the top of the screen and then it will go there.

Reactions: Duckdogging
I have brought up several locations on Apple maps but all the Go app sees is current location. I have even brought up airplane mode after setting up one of these locations. What are earth is the connection between the maps program and Go app program? I could see it better if the map program had an option to cache maps, but I see no relationship between the two programs in the maps that are shown.. I have tried it with the map program both open and closed before starting the DJI app. I think I have to admit that I don't know what I'm doing as far as maps is concerned.

did you go to the new location and open DJIGO? The is a general settings option for Cache Maps in Background. Need to be on. I am learning as I go also and have not left my area so haven't tested that.
Too bad there is no documentation. It seems to be trial and error.

Reactions: Paul Schulze
Based on all the helpful suggestions above, here is what I found works for my P3S with a non-wifi iPad 3:

1. Go to your none wifi flying area, turn on drone (not sure this is necessary), iPhone, iPad (wifi only), and RC.
2. On iPhone, turn wifi off. Turn Bluetooth and HotSpot on.
3. On iPad, wifi should be on and linked to phantom RC. Turn on Bluetooth and look for your iPhone.
4. Double click iPhone in the list and you should get a message about pairing. Select Pair on both iPhone and iPad. If for some reason they will not connect, click on the "i" and then "Forget this device." This should reset devices for pairing.
5. Open Apple Maps and the map of your location will start to load. Loading may be slow.
6. Now open DJI Go app and new map should be there (it was on mine).
7. At this point I disconnected the Bluetooth connection and closed Maps on my iPhone and all was good.

Hope this works for you all with wifi only devices. Happy Flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers