Map accuracy

Reaction score
I'd be very cautious until you've flown several (or more) missions. A lot will depend on gps reception during the flight -- and because I fly in an area with lots of very tall trees, I figure that there's a good chance they will block at least some satellites if I fly below and close to the tree line.

I also learned the hard way that adjusting your Phantom's compass to compensate for magnetic declination is vital for holding the quad close to the planned flight path.

My current procedure is test fly a mission at 200-250' feet just to make sure there are no unexpected obstacles or detours. I fly FPV, especially watching for tree tops!

In my experience its very accurate! will add a mission I completed 3 separate times from a "saved" template and replaced on the map... back soon with the mission to show you.

This is a screen capture from the iPad of the route... not the exact same one as I did alter wp7.....slightly as you can see on the video below... the turns are "Back Turn" or BANK TURN as they should spell it in the program display, maybe on the next update they'll remember that bit... a 1.2km rout in 5 mins it estimates, it was a bit quicker in reality! 4.30ish

Attachments

• towneley-auto-path.jpg
    towneley-auto-path.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 399
Simon... I don't have enough bandwidth (in Mexico) to watch your video but I wonder how you recorded the iPad screen?

GearLoose

To capture the screen - Press and hold the big circular home button on the bottom of the screen while at the same time pressing the Power button top right edge, like a camera shutter noise happens at the same time...

I makes maps for a living.

The aerial images on google earth vs the GPS accuracy of the phantom. You could be off by as much as 9 feet from the "real" location.

The phantoms accuracy is within 3 feet. And google maps is 6 feet. And that is horizontally.

Vertically, Google maps could be off by a lot - so that is where I would give my drone the largest "cushion".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl