Many issues are self induced.

Reaction score
I'm always finding numerous posts on issues people are having with updates, UAV failures, and all sorts of problems... Really? I'm running my P3 for commercial purposes and have only had a few compass errors which were fixed with a switch to ATTI mode and a return to base. Other than that, all updates, and performance have been normal. I'm also running a S1000 for bigger jobs. It appears that a lot of people are suffering failures... Or are they? Pilot Error? Not using a checklist, not having a plan in an emergency?
Not understanding systems? I'm sure I'm in the majority where everything is normal in UAV land. So for those who are concerned with others problems, take heed, and don't worry too much, I'm sure most of the issues are self induced.

Phantoms have many points of failure due to user error. If you don't cover all of those bases, then it's pretty easy to fail. Half the battle is knowing which bases need to be covered.

Its like anything you try for the first time! If you didn't start out small and work your way up your going to run into problems. Walk before you run!

Its been said on here many times, buy something cheap to train on, fly with a non GPS quadcopter and master it first.

Did you learn to drive in a Corvette? Get your driver's license the first day you sat in the drive's seat of a car?

You can tell by all the NOOB questions that many haven't and it's making the hobby look bad.

It's not a matter of go big or go home, seems like it's more money than brains that's going on?

Just my view of it and food for thought for others.

Most importantly, fly safe, have fun, respect others and their property.

I'm always finding numerous posts on issues people are having with updates, UAV failures, and all sorts of problems... Really? I'm running my P3 for commercial purposes and have only had a few compass errors which were fixed with a switch to ATTI mode and a return to base. Other than that, all updates, and performance have been normal. I'm also running a S1000 for bigger jobs. It appears that a lot of people are suffering failures... Or are they? Pilot Error? Not using a checklist, not having a plan in an emergency?
Not understanding systems? I'm sure I'm in the majority where everything is normal in UAV land. So for those who are concerned with others problems, take heed, and don't worry too much, I'm sure most of the issues are self induced.

First and foremost error-- "didn't RTFM" before trying to fly the thing.
Second, battery failures due to battery misuse or not understanding battery capacities and flight times.

Confession here: I can attribute all of problems I have had -- ( haven't had many) to pilot error.

That includes pushing the P3 beyond it's designed distance limits. Even when you think you have a handle on everything-- that is when the worst can and will happen,

if we all do a preflight and inflight checklist on everything,.. at least on the first flight-- Most of these errors can be eliminated. If a person chooses not to ---- then that in itself in "Pilot Error"-- and may result in a flight failure and loss of the P3.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Flying:):)

You're dreaming if you think phantoms don't have issues. Or possibly in denial. Like I've said many times, there are people on the forums that don't believe in the issues unless they are being affected by them. So what again is the point of this thread? To call all of us that are having issues liars? Are you beating your chest saying you know more than us? Please spare us the laugh.

Reactions: Capt. Males
I was just relieved to read a new thread on frame cracks in the P3 and not find those who hadn't suffered cracks insulting those who had for "imagining" they had a problem. That was a first.

Not sure what this thread's point is either.

I agree with the OP. Most if not all of the problems are operator error. I'm beginning to think the competitors are coming on this forum and introducing "phantom" problems because they cannot compete with DJI. DJI is clearly the leader here in the drone industry.

I agree with the OP. Most if not all of the problems are operator error. I'm beginning to think the competitors are coming on this forum and introducing "phantom" problems because they cannot compete with DJI. DJI is clearly the leader here in the drone industry.
Once again, someone that doesn't believe there are issues unless they're directly being affected by the issues. I think they call that close minded. Why would we make up problems? Why would DJI release updates claiming to fix issues if the issues didn't exist in the first place?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm sure issues exist, no doubt. Only that the majority are self induced.
I wish you the best of luck with an attitude like that. Stay well insured too because your attitude won't help you when that quad lands on a person or someone's property.

You come to a forum where people have experienced these issues that do exist and the best you have to offer is judgement? Seriously ? Who the hell are you?

This thread needs locked asap.

Nothing useful comes from talk like this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wish you the best of luck with an attitude like that. Stay well insured too because your attitude won't help you when that quad lands on a person or someone's property.

You come to a forum where people have experienced these issues that do exist and the best you have to offer is judgement? Seriously ? Who the hell are you?

This thread needs locked asap.

Nothing useful comes from talk like this.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Reactions: dottat4
I'm sure issues exist, no doubt. Only that the majority are self induced.
If you consider" self" induced, installing a DJI update your"self". Go read the app reviews for 2.4 and tell me why 60 out of 80 reviews had issues immediately after the update. Not hardly self induced! The fact is that it was a direct result of a DJI update.

Reactions: dottat4
Happy thanksgiving to all.

Welcome to RC flying. This is the nature of the hobby. There are lots of things that can go wrong and there are even more pilot errors. Hardware, software and structural failure is very common. And as we are getting more complicated with GPS and gyro stabilization in miniaturized models there are bound to be problems. Just go to any forum on RC planes and you will see exactly the same ratios of crashes and hardware failures. Look at the government record, all the really expensive drones that crash often.

This is a new part of the RC hobby and a lot of the newcomers to the hobby are discovering the hard way that crashing is just a part of the hobby. AS you get better at it you will crash less, but you will still crash every so often.

Bottom line. This is an experimental hobby you are buying into and you will have problems. Personally DJI is about as good as it gets in this industry, very innovative and most everything works incredibly well.

I have had several model Helis where the tail gyro failed either right away or in a few hrs. I have had the main rotors fly of a 450 in a gym because of me not checking the screws holding the rotors to the shaft. That one was spectacular, but no one was hurt, thank you (insert proper deity here).

OK these MRs are expensive and complete novices fly them right out of the box, with no training or supervision. Traditional RC you join a club, fly on a buddy box until you are signed off by an instructor to fly at the club field. You will crash about a dozen aircraft before you become fairly competent. How do I know, I am an AMA instructor and I teach lots of students how to fly. Lately a few MR buyers came to the club because they wanted to learn and we embrace them and tech the basics.

It is far easier to fly these MRs but they are still just flying models you are responsible for maintaining and flying in a safe manner. I think if everybody had a mentor/instructor when they stared playing with these toys, there would be a lot less problems. Don't get me wrong, you will still crash and have SW problems. Any time you have one company make the MR and write the SW, and a slew of other companies making the smartphone/tablets with any number of possible conflicting Apps running along with the app to control the MR you will have lots of problems.

The way I fly my P3P is always take off in atti and land in atti. Make sure atti works perfectly before switching to GPS, then test that out close by before starting the "mission". Always stay within easy line of sight about 1200' max distance out, never above 400' agl. Basically the same way I fly a RC plane. I am always ready to fly back and land in atti with no auto anything. On older DJI MRs (I currently have a 450, 550 and a S800) you have a manual mode, basically no auto leveling at all. I kind of wish the P3P had that as well, you really have to know how to fly in that mode. And if you had a gyro failure you switch to manual and just fly back and land, it take skill but that is real flying.

I am not even going to go into Lipo maintenance and management. There is lots of info on the WEB about that. But the power percentage gauge in the GO app is not like fuel tank gauge in a car. You have to know what you are doing to use Lipos. DJI has made it automatic but that is a bit of a problem because users just look at a gauge w/o realizing what is really going on.

OK, enough already, I probably just ate too much turkey. Anyway happy Thanksgiving and safe flying.

I've never had any issues with updates. I admit I'm very diligent and make sure I follow checklists, read the manual and am respectful of possible problems coming my way, always briefing for an emergency if it happens. Nothing yet. I expect many issues are self induced and have very little to do with the gear they are using.

Dottat4, The rules in NZ don't allow for flight over private property or public roads unless you get clearance.

The positive from a thread like this is that people can assess for themselves whether the product is loaded with errors or consider that maybe pilot error is the main cause.

I've never had any issues with updates. I admit I'm very diligent and make sure I follow checklists, read the manual and am respectful of possible problems coming my way, always briefing for an emergency if it happens. Nothing yet. I expect many issues are self induced and have very little to do with the gear they are using.

Dottat4, The rules in NZ don't allow for flight over private property or public roads unless you get clearance.

The positive from a thread like this is that people can assess for themselves whether the product is loaded with errors or consider that maybe pilot error is the main cause.
Easy for you to start a thread titled as such when you haven't had a failure.

It's very judgemental and a real turn off to the users who come here looking for help to see you have it all figured out before getting all the facts.

I'm glad you are enjoying your quads and other flying platforms however your judgemental post here does nothing helpful for the many users who come here. You essentially state that since you haven't had any issues, you assume users who have problems caused them.

Now, do you have something useful to post here or should we all go back to drooling over your s1000 post? Have some respect for the non-commercial users here and stop assuming things about them you don't know.

I'm going to have to question your "experience" if you think the problems are pilot error and not DJI issues. I agree that not everyone reads and follows instructions, but what about the ones that do and still have issues? When DJI acknowledges their own issues regarding updates, as they have done, your statements are totally debunked.

Ahh, be nice to the OP. He is new and lacks the experience to make the distinctions between what is real and what is "self induced." A lot of new pilots make the same mistakes in judgement when they have never had an issue. Give him time.

Reactions: Poundofnuts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers