Manually turn off motors

FTZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the Phantom. I've been lurking here for a few weeks, reading anything and everything about the phantom. I went and purchased mine yesterday. Did all the initial setup and had 4 flawless flights. Only problem I have had is when landing, occasionally, it will tip itself, and dig its blades into the ground. It did this once on grass. it was no big deal, just wipe the blades off and send it up again.

Today, it did the same thing, but on a tarmac road. The props were chipped up a bit, and it scratched the top of the Phantom shell, when it went skidding across the parking lot.

This leads me two 2 questions.

1. Why do the motors occasionally increase when landing and putting the throttle to dead 0? Both times when my Phantom tipped, it was completely landed, dead stopped on the ground. The props were spinning at idle and jerked the thing over.

2. Is there a manual way to shut off the motors? Similar to the start sequence, pulling the sticks together, or anything else. Being able to stop the motors manually would have stopped both of my tips.

Aside from that, this thing is amazing. I look forward to lots of fun with it.

You can disarm the engines the same way you arm them.

If you hold steady when you land, this shouldn't happen, but if it still does, try switching to Atti mode before you land. (Assuming you're in GPS mode.)

I get around hard landings by catching the Phantom. I bring it to hover just above head high and grab the skid with my free hand (the tx is on a lanyard). Then with my tx hand I throttle all the way down and the motors cut out in three seconds. No more hard landings.

Watch your fingers - those props could rip the skin right off'em.

I changed the settings in the NAZA Assistant for instant 0 throttle motor shut off. This works perfectly and has resolved my problem completely.

I did have one near crash since changing the setting in the NAZA. After doing a high altitude flight, while trying to get the Phantom back down, while at I am guessing between 100 and 200 feet up, I dropped the throttle to 0 for an instant. I immediately caught myself, but it was enough for the motors to shut off for a second, causing the Phantom to tumble and roll twice, before the motors kicked back on and saved it.

I will say that had I not been flying in GPS Mode, when it caught itself, it probably would have gone shooting off in whatever angle at a high rate of speed, and crashed into a house. Luckily, the GPS saved me, as when the motors came back on, it instantly tried to hold itself in place while the motors speed up and got lift.

This happened a few weeks ago, and I have not repeated that mistake since.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw3erMZDFV0[/youtube]

drawinglines said:
I get around hard landings by catching the Phantom. I bring it to hover just above head high and grab the skid with my free hand (the tx is on a lanyard). Then with my tx hand I throttle all the way down and the motors cut out in three seconds. No more hard landings.

Watch your fingers - those props could rip the skin right off'em.

+1

I turned this setting down as well (to have control over shut down) and got into a sticky situation that had me jumping at the controls where I guess for a moment my throttle went down. In short I was above some shrubbery so when it fell it don't have far to go but my camera came loose. It taught me the lesson to turn this function back up to the recommended setting. I also pretty much catch mine now on a regular basis as it's so easy to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie