Manual pitch control reversed!

Reaction score
I have the new upgrade controller with the Phantom 2 and the Feiyu 2d mini gimbal. The gimbal is wired in and works ok in auto when flying. But the problem is the manual pitch control using the thumbwheel on the upgrade controller. Instead of the specified 45deg up and 90deg down I'm getting 45deg down and 90deg up. There is no adjustment/reverse setting software, only software for slight adjustment to and set correct intial alignment and firmware updates. Feiyu have been absolutely useless just refering me to the already mentioned software. This is all new equipment so its never been used on anything else before. Is it possible to reverse these movements by maybe swapping the polarity of the wiring on the thumbwheel inside the controller? Its a real pain at the moment because I can only get 45deg down view and 90deg up looking at the bottom of the quad!
I cant video directly below the quad. Anybody out there got any solutions.
The spec sheet says manual pitch is 45deg up and 90deg down, but mounted underneath the quad (normal positon) I'm getting those values reversed!

Last edited:
Can you please post a picture,
Of how you wired it?
The reason I ask, you might have a polarity issue on wiring, where up is down, and down is up!

Either way pics would help!

1) how it is wired to naza ( F2 port )
2) how you POWERED IT
3) pitch connection at gimbal
4) all gimbal control motor wiring?

These items would help in diagnosing your issue!

Thanks
J Dot

Can you please post a picture,
Of how you wired it?
The reason I ask, you might have a polarity issue on wiring, where up is down, and down is up!

Either way pics would help!

1) how it is wired to naza ( F2 port )
2) how you POWERED IT
3) pitch connection at gimbal
4) all gimbal control motor wiring?

These items would help in diagnosing your issue!

Thanks
J Dot
The wiring is a foolproof multi plug into the gimbal so no issue there, it cant be plugged in wrong. The only other connections are a power red & black wire from the multi plug which is connected to the battery connections on the phantom mainboard red to red and black to black so no issue there. The final connection is the blue wire from the multi plug which is the pitch wire connected to the bottom pin on the F2 terminal (pitch connection) which is the signal wire.
I've been thinking, if it was wrong polarity the amount of travel each way would be the same wouldnt it? It would just affect which way the switch operated.
I think there is some issue here with the gimbal, i dont think changing polarity is going to effect how far it can travel up or down.

p.s just had another thought, if you are right about polarity, then the fault must be wrong connections inside the gimbal as i'm sure mine are ok. I'd be a bit wary of swapping the polarity in case i fried someting. This gimbal is very neat there is very little exposed wiring its all contained within the arms and body with just the wires exiting with the multi plug on the end to plug into the external board which just contains the multi plug connection. The main board of this gimbal is hidden within the body/casing.

Last edited:
These are pics of the connections you can clearly see correct wiring except for the small jst type connector which i have double checked red to red etc right up to the Phantom mainboard. Spec wiring sheet after pics, right click on it and select open new tab or window.

3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg
MiNi.pdf

Attachments

• MiNi.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 519
Ok
After reviewing your PDF, seems you can mount VERTICLE, or INVERTED, later being default!
Seems there is a setting in the software, to change polarity on this?
#3 on PDF!

I think it is set for VERTICLE, and NOT INVERTED!

Please check this out!
Unfortunately the PDF is not real informative?

I would look on YouTube, or get ahold of manufacturer, and ask how to switch to INVERTED!

J Dot

Ps wiring looks good!
I wish I had talked to you sooner, I could have built you a plug n play harness, with no soldering! But looks good bro!

Keep us updated!

Take care, fly safe!

Ok
After reviewing your PDF, seems you can mount VERTICLE, or INVERTED, later being default!
Seems there is a setting in the software, to change polarity on this?
#3 on PDF!

I think it is set for VERTICLE, and NOT INVERTED!

Please check this out!
Unfortunately the PDF is not real informative?

I would look on YouTube, or get ahold of manufacturer, and ask how to switch to INVERTED!

J Dot

Ps wiring looks good!
I wish I had talked to you sooner, I could have built you a plug n play harness, with no soldering! But looks good bro!

Keep us updated!

Take care, fly safe!

No the only software adjustment is tweaking the startup horizontal or vertical position, no facility for reversing travel or polarity or max/min travel see jpeg below. I've been on to Feiyu several times, even sent them a video showing the problem. First of all they kept on about the software and firmware which doesnt address the problem at all. Now they keep asking does it bootup correctly and when switched off does it rotate more than 360 degrees, all of which I've answered several times. Their ability to understand English is pretty poor so I'm getting nowhere with them, I think they're trying to wear me down (and they're succeeding).

If i tried reversing the polarity at the JST power connection do you think it would cause any damage if it's wrong? I dont want to fry anything especially my Phantom.
I've looked on youtube and there is very little about the 2d mini gimbal and what's there is mainly an earlier gimbal not the 2d mini version that I have. No details about wiring and no mention of pitch control or associated problems.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
The part that got me was
Where it said INVERTED ( default )
If this is DEFAULT, then there should be a way to change it?

DO NOT CHANGE POWER LEADS!
Positive-negative are correct that only provides the power not pitch!

Ok
Try this ( if possible ) unhook gimbal, run it VERTICAL ( camera on top, gimbal on bottom ) just temporarily, and run it that way to see if you achieve your 45 up, and 90 down!

Next
Have you tweaked anything in PC assistant? Most gimbals require you to set GAIN TO 0, default is 20!
Also you might have to set limits there?

My next question:
Is the gimbal moving correctly with dial wheel? If you push DOWN, does gimbal go down? Or does it go opposite from your input!
Please let me know?

J Dot

The part that got me was
Where it said INVERTED ( default )
If this is DEFAULT, then there should be a way to change it?

DO NOT CHANGE POWER LEADS!
Positive-negative are correct that only provides the power not pitch!

Ok
Try this ( if possible ) unhook gimbal, run it VERTICAL ( camera on top, gimbal on bottom ) just temporarily, and run it that way to see if you achieve your 45 up, and 90 down!

Next
Have you tweaked anything in PC assistant? Most gimbals require you to set GAIN TO 0, default is 20!
Also you might have to set limits there?

My next question:
Is the gimbal moving correctly with dial wheel? If you push DOWN, does gimbal go down? Or does it go opposite from your input!
Please let me know?

J Dot
Yes the tilt looks down when wheel is moved anti-clockwise, which is what your saying yes? The phantom assisant values are editable but have no effect on the gimbal. Although I can alter them they are "greyed" out and not bold like values in other settings. Which leads me to believe that the assistant is not communicating with the gimbal and yes I have the phantom windows driver and the gimbal usb driver installed. The gimbal has its own software adjustment for pitch and roll but as mentioned before its only for adjusting the start position (I've used it) no adjustment for amount of travel or reversing either of them.
Took the gimbal off and placed on top so it was other way up, it didnt like that at all camera faced 90 deg down on bootup and and the movement was 45deg facing backward and that was all. I think the sensors within the gimbal detect its upside down and dont like it at all. If you send me an email address I'll send you the video I made showing the original mount and problem.
There is a 3.14 upgrade available on the flight controller but I haven't used it because I've heard tales of problems with it.

Last edited:
[email protected]

I have 3 p2v's, one runs 3.08 ( my favorite ) other 1 is 3.12, and last 1 is 3.14. I didn't notice too much difference with 3.12-3.14. But 3.08 is a big difference! No no-fly zones! Plus faster decent!, anyhow, you used to be able to downgrade firmware but they changed the password, no longer works! I want mine all 3.08. Lol.

But I don't know if 3.14 would help or not?
If gimbal is moving correctly with wheel, than it is set inverted ( default )? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I was beginning to think your lower circuit board was maybe mounted upside down! But I don't think so.

I use Alexmos SimpleBGC software on my aftermarket gimbals.

The screenshot you showed, looked like a very crude adjustment menu!
Is there a was to calibrate gyroscope, or accelerometer? Or to manually set pitch! Also is there a RESET button on main board of gimbal? The button might also act as a preset, like 1 push inverted mode, 2 push berticle mode, 3 push manual pitch set, 4ect......?

I would like to see video, maybe will shed some light?

J Dot

[email protected]

I have 3 p2v's, one runs 3.08 ( my favorite ) other 1 is 3.12, and last 1 is 3.14. I didn't notice too much difference with 3.12-3.14. But 3.08 is a big difference! No no-fly zones! Plus faster decent!, anyhow, you used to be able to downgrade firmware but they changed the password, no longer works! I want mine all 3.08. Lol.

But I don't know if 3.14 would help or not?
If gimbal is moving correctly with wheel, than it is set inverted ( default )? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I was beginning to think your lower circuit board was maybe mounted upside down! But I don't think so.

I use Alexmos SimpleBGC software on my aftermarket gimbals.

The screenshot you showed, looked like a very crude adjustment menu!
Is there a was to calibrate gyroscope, or accelerometer? Or to manually set pitch! Also is there a RESET button on main board of gimbal? The button might also act as a preset, like 1 push inverted mode, 2 push berticle mode, 3 push manual pitch set, 4ect......?

I would like to see video, maybe will shed some light?

J Dot
Nope just pitch/roll fine tune and thats it.
If you look at the pics you will see there is no exposed circuit board. All thats mounted on the plate are a usb skt, a video skt and the multi skt all the other electronics are contained within the gimbal structure. Very neat design.
This BGC software you mention, is it safe to use on my gimbal,compatible no possible damage. Does it have pitch axis reverse on it or able to alter max/min of pitch travel?
If its ok to try pls send me a link to download.

I'm not sure?
They all use SimpleBGC software, but these aftermarket gimbals use a Russian version of it! I found they are good to use ( but there are SEVERAL versions of it, but YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THERE! It will Brick your gimbal! There is several settings/pages in SimpleBGC I believe you can reverse your settings there as well?
You'll need the right version of the software, and the driver! I'll have to try to remember where I got it all.

But there has to be a way to set gyro/accelerometer on your unit?
Just sounds WIERD

What is your gimbal exactly, so I can look around a bit?

J Dot

I'm not sure?
They all use SimpleBGC software, but these aftermarket gimbals use a Russian version of it! I found they are good to use ( but there are SEVERAL versions of it, but YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THERE! It will Brick your gimbal! There is several settings/pages in SimpleBGC I believe you can reverse your settings there as well?
You'll need the right version of the software, and the driver! I'll have to try to remember where I got it all.

But there has to be a way to set gyro/accelerometer on your unit?
Just sounds WIERD

What is your gimbal exactly, so I can look around a bit?

J Dot
This is a link to my gimbal as earlier versions are different its Feiyu 2d mini
MiNi 2D

This is gonna sound weird,
But looking at your go-pro mounted on gimbal, is the pitch motor on right or left side of camera? I'm seeing where you can mount it backwards?

J Dot

I found several post in phantom 1 and 2 forums, all say same as you!
45 down and 90 up?
Here is a screenshot of one
C3EB46ED-721D-4660-A605-09858BEA7477_zpsa8kkr89q.png

J Dot

I found several post in phantom 1 and 2 forums, all say same as you!
45 down and 90 up?
Here is a screenshot of one
C3EB46ED-721D-4660-A605-09858BEA7477_zpsa8kkr89q.png

J Dot
Yep, I think you'll find all those posts are by me Rcnutz.
Answering your prevous post, looking at P2 head on with the camera facing you the pitch motor is on the left. Well its 23:24 here in the U.K and I'm gonna hit the sack cos this is driving me nuts. Incedently its advertised as suitable for aero photography, with only 45deg down I beg to disagree.

Yep, I think you'll find all those posts are by me Rcnutz.
Answering your prevous post, looking at P2 head on with the camera facing you the pitch motor is on the left. Well its 23:24 here in the U.K and I'm gonna hit the sack cos this is driving me nuts. Incedently its advertised as suitable for aero photography, with only 45deg down I beg to disagree.

Hi, back on the case today and have found this video and downloaded the BGC software 2.2b2 as he recommends this is the video link
I'm guessing that my 2 axis Feiyu is 8 bit? The driver he recommends is the same one I have installed for the Feiyu some I'm hoping thats a good compatibility sign. In his case he said dont go above version 2.2 as it would brick his gimbal so I hope thats correct for mine too. This is the link to the software download version 2.2b2
Downloads for 8-bit boards : BaseCam Electronics
What do you think could I brick it?

Should be fine just DO NOT UPGRADE/UPDATE!
But tweaking it should be fine,

Word of warning
As soon as you FIRST HOOK it up,
Save your current profile to profile 1 or something!
That way if you mess something up, you can reload the original profile and be back to default for you!

Also
You'll need to enable the port ( whatever USB port you are using to hook to PC. Mine is port 4, so I choose port 4 and hot CONNECT!

Lastly,
Unplug your power to gimbal if possible, because the gimbal will backfeed your phantom causing a series of quiet beeps! phantom does not have to be on when you make adjustments! Also remember to hit WRITE after each change! Or it won't write to gimbal and will go back to previous settings!
It will either work or not work, if software communicates with gimbal, and you are getting telemetry, should be OK, my friend!

J Dot

Should be fine just DO NOT UPGRADE/UPDATE!
But tweaking it should be fine,

Word of warning
As soon as you FIRST HOOK it up,
Save your current profile to profile 1 or something!
That way if you mess something up, you can reload the original profile and be back to default for you!

Also
You'll need to enable the port ( whatever USB port you are using to hook to PC. Mine is port 4, so I choose port 4 and hot CONNECT!

Lastly,
Unplug your power to gimbal if possible, because the gimbal will backfeed your phantom causing a series of quiet beeps! phantom does not have to be on when you make adjustments! Also remember to hit WRITE after each change! Or it won't write to gimbal and will go back to previous settings!
It will either work or not work, if software communicates with gimbal, and you are getting telemetry, should be OK, my friend!

J Dot

Oh sugar, just as my hopes were rising. Plugged set Com4 cos thats the port the 8 bit and 32 bit says serial data corrupt in the message box at the bottom of the adjustment console. Same for both 8 & 32, now what?

Did you try the Alexmos SimpleBGC driver
Instead of the default driver

J Dot

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4