Manual Mode

Could someone please give instructions how to start flying Phantom 2 with manual mode? I've been flying for a while in ATTI and GPS mode, but would like now to start training the manual mode too.
For example how to take off in manual mode? I tried today once by pushing the (left) throttle stick up, but I didn't get the Phantom in the air, it kind of fell down in the ground...

Safest way is to take off in GPS and then SWITCH to Manual after you're up in the air and know you have all your locks.

You could hand launch/catch, I suppose, if you really wanted to.

It won't come down as a rock if I switch to Manual when I'm up in the air :) ?
How much should I push the left throttle stick when switching to manual mode, in order to keep approximately the same altitude?

Being a somewhat experienced 3d collective pitch heli pilot, I decided to give this a go in my bedroom this evening. I ended up sticking it in a pile of laundry after very narrowly avoiding crashing at a 45 degree angle into my wall.

This probably sounds absurd, but I've flown smaller heli's inside quite a bit and the phantom in GPS mode is so docile that indoor is a piece of cake but manual turns it into very much an outside toy. In hindsight it was a pretty arrogant thing to do. Oh well. Looking forward to trying it out in the open sky tomorrow.

It's super weird how the idle speed in manual mode is enough to hover it... Almost makes me want to take the spring out of the throttle stick. It's pretty cool that they open up so much of the software the way they do though. Amazing how it transitions from a floaty camera ship into an extreme aerobatic machine with 20 minutes of fiddling.

Manual mode on the Phantom is a bit trickier than flying a Syma X5C-1 for example. But similar.

Last edited:
This video shows you how to turn on manual flight mode.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't do this unless your a really good RC flyer and someone who feels very comfortable flying collective pitch helicopters and other highly unstable platforms.
I do not have access to your youtube video, it's private

Has anyone put the phantom in manual mode yet?

With attitude hold is self levelling when you let go of the stick right?
Ever Quad I have ever seen will do that when you let go of the stick. (It will keep going in the direction it was in but it will level off)

What is the difference in Manual mode? Is that just attitude hold with more gain so you can flip it and such?
Thats all i fly in but i have experience in flying helecopters , thats if you still class hirobo shuttles as helecopters :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Being a somewhat experienced 3d collective pitch heli pilot, I decided to give this a go in my bedroom this evening. I ended up sticking it in a pile of laundry after very narrowly avoiding crashing at a 45 degree angle into my wall.

This probably sounds absurd, but I've flown smaller heli's inside quite a bit and the phantom in GPS mode is so docile that indoor is a piece of cake but manual turns it into very much an outside toy. In hindsight it was a pretty arrogant thing to do. Oh well. Looking forward to trying it out in the open sky tomorrow.

It's super weird how the idle speed in manual mode is enough to hover it... Almost makes me want to take the spring out of the throttle stick. It's pretty cool that they open up so much of the software the way they do though. Amazing how it transitions from a floaty camera ship into an extreme aerobatic machine with 20 minutes of fiddling.

Interesting as I find mine drops when switched to manual mode and this is with a non-vision model with no added anything.

This would seem to indicate that it is under-powered/overweight as the rule of thumb I have read is it (a mullti-roto)r should hover at ~50%throttle.

Both P1 & P2 with no weight they both gain altitude I need to be around 40-45% stick to hover . With weight gimbal, cam, transmitter they both drop need to be around 65-70% to hover .

Just noticed I still have the 9443s on it and just recalled I did swap the Rx for a Futaba 1.5 yrs ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31