Manual mode: Utter chaos!?

Reaction score
OMG... Took my Phantom out early this morning as the sun was just coming up because I've been itching to try manual (Kamikaze) mode but the weather has not been good. (Before I left I changed failsafe to manual in the assistant.) Anyway, went to my favorite testing ground, a huge open grassed area with nothing to crash into, except the ground. Flew around in ATTI mode for a few minutes trying to settle the nerves, took her up to about 150ft, said a prayer and flipped the switch down.... Immediately discovered the Phantom becomes an unmanned brick!? It was dropping at an alarming rate so I hit the throttle and it shot up at an angle, tried to compensate and it's going all over the place at crazy angles! For some reason I started laughing my head off which didn't help much...So it began to get a bit crazy so flipped back to GPS and it settled down. Got it back up over 150ft and went Kamikaze mode again.Tried flying around a bit... OMG it's completely nuts! Had no idea how reliant I had become on GPS. Even ATTI mode is a breeze compared to manual. Needless to say, I quickly became disinterested in Kamikaze mode.... Well that was my big adventure. I intend to use the more sedate NAZA GPS or ATTI modes from now on... It was funny though!

At least you did it the right way! Lots of open space and altitude is your best friend!

We take the Naza and IMU for granted.
It's not for the faint hearted.

Haha get a cold beer, wipe the cold sweat off your brow and laugh some more. Phantoms with cameras and manual = kaboom. Itss a flying camera not a stunt copter. Deadly story, well told!

Lol. Great story. Glad to hear your experience, and that no harm came to your bird.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
OMG... Took my Phantom out early this morning as the sun was just coming up because I've been itching to try manual (Kamikaze) mode but the weather has not been good. (Before I left I changed failsafe to manual in the assistant.) Anyway, went to my favorite testing ground, a huge open grassed area with nothing to crash into, except the ground. Flew around in ATTI mode for a few minutes trying to settle the nerves, took her up to about 150ft, said a prayer and flipped the switch down.... Immediately discovered the Phantom becomes an unmanned brick!? It was dropping at an alarming rate so I hit the throttle and it shot up at an angle, tried to compensate and it's going all over the place at crazy angles! For some reason I started laughing my head off which didn't help much...So it began to get a bit crazy so flipped back to GPS and it settled down. Got it back up over 150ft and went Kamikaze mode again.Tried flying around a bit... OMG it's completely nuts! Had no idea how reliant I had become on GPS. Even ATTI mode is a breeze compared to manual. Needless to say, I quickly became disinterested in Kamikaze mode.... Well that was my big adventure. I intend to use the more sedate NAZA GPS or ATTI modes from now on... It was funny though!

Just what was growing in this field you were flying in? :D

Is it accurate to say that ATTI mode is like 6-axis quad, like Hubsan X4?

And Manual mode is like 3-axis quad, like Syma X1?

witold said:
Is it accurate to say that ATTI mode is like 6-axis quad, like Hubsan X4?

And Manual mode is like 3-axis quad, like Syma X1?

Manual mode is just that... Manual. You have to control everything & compensate for everything. Someone farting 200m away can blow it off course....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.