Manual mode it's not your momma's flight control.

Reaction score
Well maybe it is since she wouldn't have had the awesome features that prevent you from doing anything stupid.

I hadn't seen much on Manual mode so I went off and tried it. It's like you have to work to fly it, which is more and less fun at the same time.

I didn't keep it on manual too long as I didn't like it much. But it does let you do some tricks. Here are two barrel rolls I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RI2IXMaAfuQ

Yep, definitely an "advanced" flight mode. Two reasons you might want it. One of them you have found - aerobatics (and complete freedom to get into some attitudes not conducive to maintaining height!). The other is that it has been reported that flipping into manual will recover from a flyaway situation - you'll still probably crash unless you're a hotshot manual flier, but at least you'll crash within view...

I also tried it briefly with a take-off and the sprung throttle makes it harder to fly the Vision manually than a Hubsan X4 or other micro quad. In manual mode the throttle is proportional - so all the way down is 0%, all the way up is 100%. The centre-springing means it's at 50% which may be too much or too little depending on your situation. You'll need to work both sticks all the time to maintain any sort of straight-and-level.

Still, once the weather calms down I would love to get a bit of height on a calm day and see if I can fly figure-eights and hover nose-in with the Vision in manual mode like I can with the X4... Good to know that GPS mode is only 2 clicks away, though!!

I hope the great majority of people here stick to gps and attitude mode. I love throwing my original Phantom around in manual mode. It's lighter and seems more fit for the aggressive stuff. But I think the Vision just enjoys casual photo/video type flying with some high speed running around for excitement. If you want to flip and play more, a Blade 350qx will do you just fine ( or the little LaTraxx Alias I just got, it's crazy with tricks).

I did my first 3 barrel rolls today. Waiting for the video to finish rendering. My experience was similar to yours. Roll, quickly loosing attitude, try to recover, switch back to GPS mode, add power. Definitely not your momma's flight control. Without the GPS recovery, I would be picking up pieces on the first roll. It came down so fast that after the GPS leveled the Vision I had to add 100% power to keep it from hitting the ground. Then I rolled it two more times.

Pull_Up said:
Yep, definitely an "advanced" flight mode. Two reasons you might want it. One of them you have found - aerobatics (and complete freedom to get into some attitudes not conducive to maintaining height!). The other is that it has been reported that flipping into manual will recover from a flyaway situation - you'll still probably crash unless you're a hotshot manual flier, but at least you'll crash within view...

I also tried it briefly with a take-off and the sprung throttle makes it harder to fly the Vision manually than a Hubsan X4 or other micro quad. In manual mode the throttle is proportional - so all the way down is 0%, all the way up is 100%. The centre-springing means it's at 50% which may be too much or too little depending on your situation. You'll need to work both sticks all the time to maintain any sort of straight-and-level.

Still, once the weather calms down I would love to get a bit of height on a calm day and see if I can fly figure-eights and hover nose-in with the Vision in manual mode like I can with the X4... Good to know that GPS mode is only 2 clicks away, though!!

Yeah it wasn't what I bought it for; actually not sure why I bought it other then Amazon, oh wow that's cool, Few drinks later woke up the next morning to "Your item has been shipped" email. Oh Well. but [Comicbook guy voice] BEST DRUNKEN PURCHASE EVER.
I've learned so much about a sport I had no idea about 3 weeks ago; and I'm having a blast. (I was slightly bummed when someone else at my apt complex got one as well; I think they were jealous)

As to the flight mode here in FL there weather has been great, so it's been open field flying to see what it can do. I had a few crashes, and a dew times it got away from me, but knowing how to recover (from this forum) has helped me tremendously.

I've seen "Nose-in" a few times. What does that refer to? And yes GPS is an awesome savior. I'd love to see more of what the PV can do in manual mode either IRL or youTube

iquittoo said:
I did my first 3 barrel rolls today. Waiting for the video to finish rendering. My experience was similar to yours. Roll, quickly loosing attitude, try to recover, switch back to GPS mode, add power. Definitely not your momma's flight control. Without the GPS recovery, I would be picking up pieces on the first roll. It came down so fast that after the GPS leveled the Vision I had to add 100% power to keep it from hitting the ground. Then I rolled it two more times.

This was my first... w/o fully really know what was going to happen.http://youtu.be/0EjFxx4Nz7Y As you can see I was way too low!~

I should have my FlyTrex with Dashware tomorrow so I'm excited to see how much and how fast it drops on video, not when I'm freaking out to make sure I have altitude.

pileosnafu said:
I've seen "Nose-in" a few times. What does that refer to?

It means hovering/flying the aircraft with its nose pointing in towards you - i.e. on the Vision, with the camera looking at you. The controls are reversed - left stick moves it right from your point of view, right to the left, etc. If you have the non-manual modes and get confused you just let go and let it settle. In manual mode you'll be having to juggle throttle and aileron/elevator whilst trying to remember that if it starts heading of in that direction you need to stick it over in the other... until you turn nose-out again.

It's one of those muscle memory things - it took me a while to get it using a Hubsan X4 micro indoors, but once it "clicks" it's a pretty cool skill to have. It also comes in useful if you want to take a selfie with the Vision. ;)

http://youtu.be/UvaBKwTZqWo
Here is my video of my first attempts at flips with the Phantom Vision in manual mode. 1 minute 14 seconds.
Video was edited in Photoshop CC only. Using Smart Filters such as Lens Correction, and Smart Sharpen, plus adjustment layers. On my computer it took about 4 hours to render. The Smart Filters and 1080 down to 720 took its toll on render time.

Pull_Up said:
pileosnafu said:
I've seen "Nose-in" a few times. What does that refer to?

It means hovering/flying the aircraft with its nose pointing in towards you - i.e. on the Vision, with the camera looking at you. The controls are reversed - left stick moves it right from your point of view, right to the left, etc. If you have the non-manual modes and get confused you just let go and let it settle. In manual mode you'll be having to juggle throttle and aileron/elevator whilst trying to remember that if it starts heading of in that direction you need to stick it over in the other... until you turn nose-out again.

It's one of those muscle memory things - it took me a while to get it using a Hubsan X4 micro indoors, but once it "clicks" it's a pretty cool skill to have. It also comes in useful if you want to take a selfie with the Vision. ;)

I can't wait for that to "click"... I'm still struggling with that with the Hubsan. Meanwhile it's getting pretty bruised... :?

I know some advocate moving from a nose-out hover to a side-on hover, then to a nose-in, but I actually found sideways a little confusing for some reason. Once I could hover nose-out for a whole battery without moving more than a couple of feet in any direction I put it on the ground in front of me nose-in, popped it up a couple of feet then just really concentrated hard on moving the stick opposite to what I saw. Many crashes of course (onto carpet so no damage) but after a while the conscious effort of saying to myself "it's moving to my right, give it right stick, moving back, push forward", etc, became less and less forced and more and more instinctive. Once you can do a whole battery of nose-in then it's figure-eights and threading it through doorways and buzzing the dog's bed and all that fun stuff but from a fixed position, rather than following the Hubsan round the house like a lost puppy.,. :D

Always more relaxed when you know that the aircraft usually just bounces, and even if it doesn't you can replace the whole thing for the price of one Vision motor!

Last time I flew in manual mode it ended up with my Phantom taking a series of selfies. :lol:

One day I'll get brave enough to try again.

Attachments

• Phantom Selfie.JPG
    Phantom Selfie.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 428
iquittoo said:
http://youtu.be/UvaBKwTZqWo
Here is my video of my first attempts at flips with the Phantom Vision in manual mode. 1 minute 14 seconds.
Video was edited in Photoshop CC only. Using Smart Filters such as Lens Correction, and Smart Sharpen, plus adjustment layers. On my computer it took about 4 hours to render. The Smart Filters and 1080 down to 720 took its toll on render time.

That was close! Glad it went well. That's a looping render time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20