Manual mode is quite different! Almost crashed

Reaction score
Practicing manual mode tonight. I didn't realize if you cut the throttle it'll basically drop out of the sky! Thankfully I was testing at high altitude. Using FPV I didn't really realize it was dropping at first. Thankfully my brother was watching it and was like "Uh, the props aren't spinning!" and I throttled up just in time! Sorry for the noisy GoPro. I was trying a different mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1PbVCc7 ... e=youtu.be

I think there should be a BIG WARNING about manual mode for us noobs to quad flying.

Colin Guinn says in one of his videos that when your used to flying in GPS and ATTI mode you could give the manual mode a try.
What a laugh.

I thought I was a pretty good pilot in GPS and ATTI mode but what a hell of a difference manual mode is.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GPS mode = GPS on and compass on and internal gyro-stabilization on
ATTI mode = GPS off and compass off and internal gyro-stabilization on
MANUAL mode = GPS off and compass off and internal gyro-stabilization off. Basically your on your own and good luck. (I admire manual mode flyers)

Very scary. In manual mode, the quad becomes a hell of a lot faster.
When you press up on the throttle it takes off like there's no tomorrow.
When you press right or left it will spin right round.

If your going to try manual mode for the first time then I suggest you either
A: fly very high to give your self a chance to recover if anything goes wrong.
B: Find yourself a very very very large piece of sponge, about one square mile of the stuff and fly over it.
C: Make very very very small adjustments to both the throttle and the direction sticks until you are declared an expert in quad flying.

I hope my advice stops people from crashing but not enjoying.

Good luck.

PS. I'm not that good so no more manual mode for me.

Manual mode, learn to hover about a foot off the ground, then do simple movements back a forth, very slow. When you push the stick left you must correct right to stop rotation. Learn to do this low and slow, taking it up high is the last thing you want to do while learning. Oh and use stock props, they are more forgiving.

ahh! i just broke my 2 week old DJI. I wish there was a HUGE WARNING on that mode. Now I need a new GPS module... is it possible to get it replaced under warranty?

Maveriksam said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GPS mode = GPS on and compass on
ATTI mode = GPS off and compass on
MANUAL mode = GPS off and compass off. Basically your on your own and good luck. (I admire manual mode flyers)

I don't believe ATTI uses compass for anything

But = both GPS and ATTI use the internal gyro-stabilization (ATTItude correction)

Manual mode doesn't
you're basically just controlling power to the motors depending on stick movements, completely unaided by the NAZA.

For those who dare try it out, remember that you you can bail out if you can flip the switch back to GPS or ATTI fast enough in time before it hits the dirt or worse.

BruceTS said:
Manual mode, learn to hover about a foot off the ground, then do simple movements back a forth, very slow. When you push the stick left you must correct right to stop rotation. Learn to do this low and slow, taking it up high is the last thing you want to do while learning. Oh and use stock props, they are more forgiving.
**** good advice Bruce. I was thinking more on the lines of, if you high enough you can switch into GPS mode to save yourself.
But I suppose if the GPS doesn't come in quick enough you could still crash.
If I'm ever brave enough to try manual mode again I think i'll follow your advice. Cheers Bruce

Another disadvantage to running manual mode on our Phantoms, the radio doesn't have individual trim tabs for each stick. You have 4 motors and 4 props that won't be in perfect sync with each other, so it'll always want to pull to one direction or another. Trim tabs allow you to even out when in a hover, so changing to another radio would make it easier.

Since I only purchased mine to do video, I doubt I'll ever need manual mode. All of my flying is done slow and easy, most of the time hovering, then panning from one direction to another. Heck I think I only ran full throttle during ground testing and balancing my motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers