Manual Mode: How to descend

Reaction score
Today I attempted my first descend in manual mode which did not go well. I was about 60m high and in a hover when I switched the controller to manual mode and my phantom dropped like a rock. The phantom appeared to almost free fall, I quickly switched to ATTI mode and hit the throttle, I was barely able to save the quad from a very hard landing. My goal was a fast descend from high elevations to land quickly in situations when the battery is low. How do a properly descend in manual mode with out my phantom dropping like a rock.

You need to throttle up while switching to manual.

The throttle returns to a more linear response, so the stick will be above half way (in most cases) to maintain hover.

Could you perform this again please but have a video camera pointed at your face - and upload. :lol:

Thanks for the help I will try throttling up next time while switching to manual mode hopefully I don't repeat the same result definitely going to try this above 100m next time.

If you can clearly see it's movement at 100m, it should be fine. When I first did it, I needed it to be closer so I could see it's up and down movements so I could correct when needed.

Don't come directly down either if you doing super fast descend the amount of "dirty air" made by the bird makes it hard to control once it gets closer to the ground. Go zig zag across the sky

I would try it at 60m again but what happened last time scares me to do it at that height the quad was at ground level in seconds pretty scary not very much room for error. When I throttled up after the fall I was definitely in dirty air because it was wobbling violently when it finally began to ascend. The throttle must be very touchy in manual mode. I am assuming you must keep it above 50% the whole time to achieve a nice controlled but fast descend.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4