Manual Mode Flying Tips?

Reaction score
I have two phantoms now. The p2 and the original p1. I would like to keep the p1 as a fly for fun only model as I use the p2 to shoot video. I would like to start diving into manual flying. I've been flying the phantom now for about 6 months so I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable with maneuvering. Anyone have any tips or links that can help me get started with manual mode flying? Thanks!

Buy a cheap quad and get used to how it flies. That'll show you more about manual mode than anything ales, and it's not expensive if you're awful at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the main things to prepare for (if not the main thing) is the fact that your throttle input is now direct, compared to the NAZA-interpreted input fed to the ESC's in GPS & ATTI modes. In other words, previously when your left stick was centered, the ESC weren't putting out 50% throttle, they were putting out the amount of throttle (power) that the NAZA estimated was necessary to keep the Phantom in place (either in flight or on the ground). Any deviation on that centered stick had the net effect of raising or lowering the aircraft. In manual mode, it'll usually take a constant application of ~70% (or more) of positive throttle via the left stick to achieve the same thing, depending on weight and other flight conditions.

This will be immediately obvious the first time you try to take off in manual mode, you'll push the left stick to what feels like way too far based on what you're used to, just to get it off the ground. If you're brave and trust your reflexes, you can also demonstrate this by flying to 40ft or so and parking it in GPS mode...then while the left stick is centered throw the mode switch to manual. Just be ready to immediately apply some throttle because it'll start to drop as soon as you do that. 50% stick isn't enough to maintain neutral aerodynamic buoyancy (so to speak) when you're in manual mode.

All stick input will be direct as well in manual mode, but the effects aren't as striking (or potentially dangerous) as with the throttle. You'll need to be constantly providing stick input on at least the left stick, but usually on both. If you've gotten proficient in ATTI mode...or by flying a gps-less micro quad like a hubsan or proto-x...it'll help a lot with the learning curve for manual mode.

Lots of patience and a wide open space for practice help a lot too ;)

find a big field
fly up to about 20ft or so
put throttle at 50% and hover.

flip to Man and then adjust throttle as quickly as possible if it drops or goes up.
then carefully play with all the sticks to get the hang of it. - and be ready to flip to GPS the moment it gets sketchy.

if you're running Futaba, you might want to use DR Expos to lessen stick sensitivity.

But all that said and done, if you're doing aerial video, stick with ATTI or GPS.

tho knowing how to fly a bit in Manual mode might very well save you in the rare case of a flyaway. maybe

Manual mode WILL take you by surprise and throw you for a loop. First time, go up high, like 50-80m. Flip to manual and just try to maintain position. Keep your finger on the flight mode switch though, and immediately switch back to gps before any signs of trouble. It can take 5-10 seconds to stabilize from a full tilt manual run at 50+mph. Work from there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20