Manual mode attempt

Reaction score
Took the camera off the P2V, attached the guards, and set S1 bottom to manual. In my yard I started the quad without props to see how much the motors would spin when switched to manual. With throttle in center, they did not sound like there would be enough power to lift. Shut down and placed the props on. powered up and got GPS. Switched to manual and gave some throttle. Best guess, not enough. Popped up two feet and flipped over. Shut it down quick. So tried the pop up in GPS to about 8 feet and switched to manual. Quad started to drop quick. Gave some throttle and kept it in the air, to some extent. Yo-Yo up and down and started to drift. Corrected drift and came down and bounced ground and fell over. Shut down quick.
Back in house: Guards off and camera back on and S1 set to Failsafe.
Opinion of manual: With lots of practice it could be done to keep flying. I would only consider it in a very wide open area.
I will leave manual mode to those that want to "work" and "worry" their quad all the time. I just would not have any fun with that type of flying. Reminds me too much of that totally uncontrollable Hubsan X4.

You can try it a little higher (about30feet)
If things go wrong you quickly switch back to GPS mode :D
I find it exciting to have him hovering right for me in manual :)

M.Tigelaar said:
You can try it a little higher (about30feet)
If things go wrong you quickly switch back to GPS mode :D
I find it exciting to have him hovering right for me in manual :)

him???? its a her. :D

And that is why GPS makes it so easy for anyone to fly when you are 100% responsible of the actions of the bird it takes skill . I ask you not to give up keep practicing you will gain a whole new respect for flying keeps you on your toes and tend to be more respect full about laws and safety .
We never had the problems we are facing today because of GPS "smart RC's" .
So keep practicing once you get it you'll love it .
GL!

When you say manual are you referring to atti mode.

rrmccabe said:
No Atti still uses GPS
Manual you are in full Control keeping your bird in the air no help all you .

So, I have a gimbal and I want to fly in manual mode. I also have a Mini IOSD. I know the OSD will show me how much I am banking but it might be tricky following the horizon line and not the landscape. How should I do this with the gimbal? Do I have to remove it every time I want to fly in manual mode?

I take my gimbal off never tried with it on working on putting a hole in my dive case for the GP and running to my transmitter .

What is the purpose of a hole in the dive case? To keep gimbal locked in place?

750r said:
No Atti still uses GPS

Does it? Except for when failsafe is invoked when you lose connection it was my understanding it did not.

However ATTI uses the barometric pressure to maintain elevation and IMU, etc but did not think it relied on any GPS.

What exactly does manual shut off?

So I can use the USB for FPV . I don't think the gimbal will do well flipping and spinning so it comes off and cam goes in dive case incase I crash

rrmccabe said:
750r said:
No Atti still uses GPS

Does it?

No, it doesn't.

GPS ATTI (S1 in full up): full stabilization - GPS, gyros, barometer, compass

ATTI (S1 in mid position): no GPS, but all other stabilization - gyros, barometer, compass

Manual (S1 in full down, if so configured): all stabilization turned off

AFAIK, there's no way to configure Manual mode on any switch/position other than S1, full down. Same with RTH/failsafe. So there's no way to have both available. It's one or the other.

ATTI is always in the mid position on S1. Again, I don't believe there's a way to change that, at this time.

750r said:
rrmccabe said:
No Atti still uses GPS

Atti. still uses gyro/accelerometers (IMU) + barometer & compass thus maintains attitude.

GPS only maintains X-Y when active.

N017RW said:
750r said:
rrmccabe said:
No Atti still uses GPS

Atti. still uses gyro/accelerometers (IMU) + barometer & compass thus maintains attitude.

GPS only maintains X-Y when active.
Thanks for the clarification I should have said GBC =Atti

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl