Manhattan , New York

technically right now it's still legal to fly anywhere that isn't over a crowd (reckless endangerment) or within 5 miles of one of the airports (FAA reg).

I fly from my rooftop in the east village all the time, and from the parks... east river park has some good views imo.

I'd fly with you but I recently crashed and damaged my gimbal so I'm grounded until I can find a replacement

found this old thread... obviously the OP isn't very responsive but I'm still down to fly with anybody around NYC! :)

Hey QVY,

I live in Astoria and I've been back and forth a million times about getting a Phantom 2 Vision +. I'm concerned about the flyaway issue and being around so much cement, wires and antennas. I'd probably fly mine from my roof as well and not get crazy with it or anything.

I saw you mentioned a crash in an earlier post, but aside from that, have you had any issues flying it in the East Village?

d7flat9 said:
Hey QVY,

I live in Astoria and I've been back and forth a million times about getting a Phantom 2 Vision +. I'm concerned about the flyaway issue and being around so much cement, wires and antennas. I'd probably fly mine from my roof as well and not get crazy with it or anything.

I saw you mentioned a crash in an earlier post, but aside from that, have you had any issues flying it in the East Village?

hi mate. for starters, all my crashes have been due 100% to my own stupidity :) I also usually encourage people to go with the non-Vision series but we can get into that later if you're interested, if you're dead set on it that's fine.

while urban environments are considered "high interference" that just means you need a slightly stronger FPV transmitter or an antenna upgrade for the Vision... and in terms of the actual remote control of the Phantom indeed you may lose contact with the device at much shorter distance than way out in the country, but then the GoHome feature kicks in, brings it back towards you a little and you can resume normal control.... this happens to me all the time... just make **** sure you have a good GPS lock before you go flying off! I usually also test GoHome at short range to make sure it comes back relatively overhead before I fly off.

Since the Vision series RC operates on 5.8Ghz, I suspect it will be LESS susceptible to interference than the non-Vision, since the 2.4Ghz spectrum is much more cluttered.... however the FPV / app DO use wifi/2.4Ghz so you may lose your FPV/app control rather quickly. in any case you're going to have to drop some coin to upgrade the antennas and such to improve range, like with the FPVLR kit. I personally think the non-Vision series are a lot easier to make powerful / long range.

I know I'm already rambling, but short answer is: you SHOULD be fine... I mean I am and plenty of other folks fly in NYC. I tend to fly at a bit higher altitude though usually 70-150m or so over the city so there's less interference up there than if you're trying to fly low, down inbetween buildings where you can get GPS echoes and such. My distance record over the city is about 1000m right now with open LOS

The flyaway issue is basically over... it was a problem before, but with proper precautions (like not having the GoPro's wifi enabled during flight) it's really not a factor anymore we rarely hear about it. We also think a lot of flyaways had to do with bad compass or GPS processing which have been fixed in the recent firmware upgrades.

If you're interested in learning or chatting more about Vision vs non-Vision I'd be happy to. I also would be happy to help you spec and install FPV on a non-Vision if you're interested in going that route. I'm afraid I don't have any direct experience with the Visions and upgrading those antennas and such, but I'm down to learn.

Hey QYV,

Thanks so much for the thorough response! You've really calmed my concerns about the issues I was having and I am definitely planning in the near future to bite the bullet and buy one of these. I still think I'll probably go with the Vision series. I just like that everything is done and ready to go. I would also plan to get some new antennas, both for the remote and the drone itself. I'd love to have a 1000m flight over Astoria... that'd be incredible. So, stay tuned. Once I get it, I'll definitely reach out and if you want to help with the antennas and whatever else I can do to boost signal, I'd love that help. Thanks again!

my pleasure. check out FPVLR.com they make antenna kits for the Vision series to maximize your range

Hey QYV,

Thanks for your very informative response. I'm in NYC and live on the upper east side with roof access. I've only flown my Phantom 2 (non-vision) a couple of times but would like to get more flying in. If you (or anyone else for that matter) is up for some flying, I'm game.

cool. I let a friend borrow my gimbal but I think I'm getting it back soon, then I need to play with my new RC I just upgraded to the new style, maybe another couple weeks max I'll be out flying.

I'll be out a LOT once the weather gets a bit nicer. If anybody with a non-Vision needs help building and installing a FPV kit let me know I'm pretty much an expert

I typed that message from the warmth of my apartment. You are right, it is way too cold right now :) Definitely looking forward to some flying with you guys when the weather gets nicer.

If you guys are looking to fly inside, I have a buddy who runs a fitness studio. Nice padded floors with a good amount of space and height.

Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself to the thread. I recently got a P2V for the holidays and learning to fly. I'm a total noob, but i'm having a lot of fun learning. Would be interested in meeting up with locals in the UES

Welcome Shadow13! Once the weather is above freezing, there will be more of us looking to fly.

Hey guys, I live in Brooklyn and been flying my P2V around here for a few weeks now. Just got the drone, and I think I am having some range restrictions.

Only getting about 200 feet away before RTH kicks in. Not sure why, all settings and calibrations have been done. done everything but look in the bird its self. I know the city could be high in noise, but this bad? Any Ideas?

Hey guys. So what's the situation these days? Are you flying? I would be interested in filming someone's drone as it flys over Manhattan. Have anyone here ever done that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers