Manfrotto D1 initial impressions

As I was saying about a soft backpack, I'm hoping this one doesn't allow undue pressure on the motor area where it may cause problems with the prop connection assemblies. I'm a Manfrotto fan on the photography side so I have respect for them there.

As I was saying about a soft backpack, I'm hoping this one doesn't allow undue pressure on the motor area where it may cause problems with the prop connection assemblies. I'm a Manfrotto fan on the photography side so I have respect for them there.

It does a little. I plan on getting some motor covers to rectify the potential issue. I'll likely go with industrial vinyl caps since they are a bit stiffer than silicone and should offer better protection. Some 1.062" ID caps should fit perfectly.

In my opinion, soft cases and hard cases are for two differing purposes. I bought the D1 because it was just barely over the carry-on size limits so I think I could "squeeze" it. I also think it will useful for when I take the kids to the park and need my hands free while on the move. I do however, plan on getting a hard case for long-term storage and times that I know the bird will need maximum protection. I'm thinking the Nanuk 945 or a tried and true Pelican (the staple for us gun guys).

Last edited:
Reactions: ftttu
I'm not a fan of this. That back and props look very exposed. I could totally see me banging it on something walking on accident or it being put down to hard. Props and arm are going to take the brunt of that force. A majority of the cases are full enclosure and for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is indeed a full enclosure case. This is the "ready to fly" configuration that the case can do if you are shooting on the move and want to save a setup step. This guys does a pretty solid review...

Reactions: ftttu
Just wanted to let folks know that I just received a new D1 after it has been on backorder for awhile. I've heard concerns that the bag has two battery pouches that are too small for the P4 batteries. Im happy to say that Manfrotto must have listened because I found that the pockets seem to have been redesigned because they fit the P4 batteries perfectly now. Another note, I'm a big guy and most backpacks are to small for me to wear-both in size and the straps are too short. This bag has generous strap length and fits great, even for very big guys.

Z

I have this pack. It is great.
Could easily fit 3 batteries in the main section, plus i take a 4/3 still camera and tripod in the same bag. (Well the tripod is on the outside)
Also the large back pocket fits a 15" Macbook pro and a tablet for the quad in its own pocket.

Hi guys! After watching many reviews online, I finally went for the D1 backpack. Got it at USD $165 from a Manfrotto dealer in Hong Kong. Everything fits perfectly. Even the P4 batteries fit perfectly in the battery pouch provided. Most of the reviews online said the batteries of the P4 don't enter/fit the pouch, but looks like Manfrotto has redesigned the bag for the P4. Happy with my purchase :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

great bag. i recently had the p4,2 batteries, 2 gopro's and accessories, a d7000 & 300mm lens jammed in plus a tripod on the outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20