Mandatory Updates: How does it feel like?

Reaction score
As a P2 Vision+ user for about 7 months and probably a P3P user in two weeks, I wonder why are the firmware updates mandatory.

As you guys know, with Phantom 2 we don't necessarily need to update every time a new firmware version comes around. I'm using v3.08 since my first flight. I remember when DJI came out with 3.10 update and all we heard were flyaways here and there, and they had to cancel it and come out with a new one.
I didn't even think if an update simply because the Phantom is flying smoothly and with no big problems, so why would I do it?

I've already noticed that DJI is coming out with tons of firmware updates for Phantom 3, and it's simply impossible to check if the version is stable and won't bring any flyaways to my little bird.

Are there any arguments to convince me that mandatory updates are reliable and it is a good thing to "work this way"?
Have you guys ever experienced any unexpected happening after updating your firmware? Please note below!

[sorry ADMs if the post is off-topic! I couldn't think of any other section of the forum to ask about this and I know you guys are working hard so the P3 topic is very on-topic and organized]

Phantom 3 updates aren't mandatory either. And, DJI now allows them to be rolled back to a previous stable release.

Phantom 3 updates aren't mandatory either. And, DJI now allows them to be rolled back to a previous stable release.

Really? A friend of mine told me that he could only fly ATTI until he upgraded the firmware because dji blocked GPS/VPS for the ones that didn't upgrade.
Well, he must be kinda misunderstood then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because dji blocked GPS/VPS for the ones that didn't upgrade
That would be a crazy thing to do. Many people have trouble flying with GPS. Imagine the number of crashes we'd see if people were forced to fly in ATTI :)

As a P2 Vision+ user for about 7 months and probably a P3P user in two weeks, I wonder why are the firmware updates mandatory.

As you guys know, with Phantom 2 we don't necessarily need to update every time a new firmware version comes around. I'm using v3.08 since my first flight. I remember when DJI came out with 3.10 update and all we heard were flyaways here and there, and they had to cancel it and come out with a new one.
I didn't even think if an update simply because the Phantom is flying smoothly and with no big problems, so why would I do it?

I've already noticed that DJI is coming out with tons of firmware updates for Phantom 3, and it's simply impossible to check if the version is stable and won't bring any flyaways to my little bird.

Are there any arguments to convince me that mandatory updates are reliable and it is a good thing to "work this way"?
Have you guys ever experienced any unexpected happening after updating your firmware? Please note below!

[sorry ADMs if the post is off-topic! I couldn't think of any other section of the forum to ask about this and I know you guys are working hard so the P3 topic is very on-topic and organized]

The Play Store for Android will auto update Apps that you allow.
A few updates have been done to the DJI GO APP since it was released.
The new beta program has quite a bit of testers to route out problems and then test if they caused more harm than good.
I think this is a good step in the right direction of DJI. of course it depends on the testers to do everything possible normal users would execute.
This variety of problem detection should eliminate and reduce unforeseen issues that otherwise would be tested by just a few.

Remember no need for internet connection to fly the phantom.
Follow forums that produce truthful reports such as this site. ( I think one of the best for disclosure and support and real openness. as well as humorous to maintain interest in coming back. )

So Mandatory is not active.
You make the choice still.
Some of the members get internet once and a while! Pilots from all over the world visit here some walk miles to get internet.
Relax and Fly! when you're ready to take a step to a new level you should have plenty of information to go by.

Hope that helps you or others...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers