Man Accused of Flying Drone Above Anti-Trump Protest - Oh boy. This is all over my local news.

I think the Quadcopter companies need to figure out a way to put brighter lights on quads and perhaps a bright flashing light in the middle on top of the quad so other aircraft can see it.

Reactions: Wessex
I think the Quadcopter companies need to figure out a way to put brighter lights on quads and perhaps a bright flashing light in the middle on top of the quad so other aircraft can see it.
Ever hear of gaffers tape? ;) No amount of installed lighting can't be easily defeated with some black tape over all the lights.

Last edited:
Calvin43- Report was from pilot, I can't let much more out of the back as the source is close to me, would be easy for anyone to put 2 & 2 together & figure out who is talking,
Sorry to be so vague.

Sure but the FAA could make a regulation that if you do you get in trouble. Some people will do stupid things but the majority of people wont.
Indeed. However, these drones are not accidentally being flown in these areas. These are deliberate acts, and those motivated in doing so will not be deterred by any regulations or lighting enhancements, and are typically flying DIY aircraft that are untraceable and without any artificial limits common to RTF aircraft. When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.:cool:

Indeed. However, these drones are not accidentally being flown in these areas at these elevations. These are deliberate acts, and those doing so will not be deterred by any regulations or lighting enhancements, and are flying DIY aircraft that are untraceable and without limits. When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.
No ALL drones have to be registered with the FAA DIY or otherwise. Murder is illegal but people do it, should we just make it legal because some people don't obey the law? No things are done to keep people as safe as possible and I don't see why an extra light wouldn't help flying aircraft at night. And there could be a regulation put in place that makes sure people that build their own drones equip a light up top for safety.

No ALL drones have to be registered with the FAA DIY or otherwise. Murder is illegal but people do it, should we just make it legal because some people don't obey the law? No things are done to keep people as safe as possible and I don't see why an extra light wouldn't help flying aircraft at night. And there could be a regulation put in place that makes sure people that build their own drones equip a light up top for safety.
Regulations and requiring registration does not ensure compliance. Anyone with nefarious purposes won't bother to register, and won't be deterred by regulations, and will use DIY aircraft. Legislate away. It won't stop those who pose the greatest safety risk. Even the FAA has admitted that registration itself does nothing to locate the pilot of a UAS in the air. It's a feel good effort that doesn't address the underlying problem.

Regulations and requiring registration does not ensure compliance. Anyone with nefarious purposes won't bother to register, and won't be deterred by regulations, and will use DIY aircraft. Legislate away. It won't stop those who pose the greatest safety risk. Even the FAA has admitted that registration itself does nothing to locate the pilot of a UAS in the air. It's a feel good effort that doesn't address the underlying problem.
I don't understand why you wouldn't be for safety measures, why are you so opposed to adding an extra light to the top of a drone? Would you be one of those people that would take tape to cover the light? Again I understand that some people wont follow the law but the majority of people will and if the majority of people have a light on top of their drone (built in from factory) then it would make it easier to see and safer to fly especially at night.

People drink and drive, people kill other people, people steal, people break in to homes, there are laws against that but people do it, I guess by your logic we don't need those laws because its just a feel good thing.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be for safety measures, why are you so opposed to adding an extra light to the top of a drone? Would you be one of those people that would take tape to cover the light? Again I understand that some people wont follow the law but the majority of people will and if the majority of people have a light on top of their drone (built in from factory) then it would make it easier to see and safer to fly especially at night.

People drink and drive, people kill other people, people steal, people break in to homes, there are laws against that but people do it, I guess by your logic we don't need those laws because its just a feel good thing.
Not opposed to safety measures. Just pointing out that you can't legislate safety, as you so adroitly just pointed out yourself. Consequences have no impact if you never get caught, or don't care about them. Statistically, the arrested DUI driver has driven under the influence 500 times before being arrested! One out of every 5 drivers on the road after 2AM is under the influence. Watch out for the other guy! Be careful out there! :eek:

Reactions: Phantomix and dgd3
In my opinion, that wont work. Whoever has bad intentions will just cover up the light, and whoever has no bad intentions will leave it. Plus, have you been near one of these quadcopters? You can hear it much earlier than you can see it. By the way, I havent seen a decent-size quadcopter like the phantoms that dont have a flashing light on it. On the P4, there are red lights that you can turn off and a flashing green light.

I would like to modify the front red lights to high intensity flashing white.
That would be really good for video! :rolleyes:
There's a reason the front lights can be turned off.
They interfere with video and photography.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wessex
In my opinion, that wont work. Whoever has bad intentions will just cover up the light, and whoever has no bad intentions will leave it. Plus, have you been near one of these quadcopters? You can hear it much earlier than you can see it. By the way, I havent seen a decent-size quadcopter like the phantoms that dont have a flashing light on it. On the P4, there are red lights that you can turn off and a flashing green light.
It seems like you and gadget miss the point. Yes people do bad things it will happen that's life but we have laws for a reason. Those that don't have bad intentions and don't cover up the light will be easier to see. Like I said a dozen times already, yes people will do stupid things but for the majority of people they won't and if a safety measure helps spot drones at night better than i'm all for it, regardless if someone can cover up the light or not.

Some people don't use seat belts, does that mean we don't need them??

It seems like you and gadget miss the point. Yes people do bad things it will happen that's life but we have laws for a reason. Those that don't have bad intentions and don't cover up the light will be easier to see. Like I said a dozen times already, yes people will do stupid things but for the majority of people they won't and if a safety measure helps spot drones at night better than i'm all for it, regardless if someone can cover up the light or not.
If you want to get technical, night flying is already prohibited by the FAA anyway. :rolleyes: The existing lights are for the pilot under VLOS rules to help determine orientation. Unless you are flying below yourself, the pilot can't see lights on top of the aircraft while flying the aircraft above himself. I am not opposed to them, but you are effectively asking drunk drivers to put a light on top of their cars at night so we will know they are drunk. Since night flying i already prohibited, anyone flying at night will just cover up any lights on the aircraft that draw unwanted attention.

Last edited:
If you want to get technical, night flying is already prohibited by the FAA anyway. :rolleyes:
A light can help during the day too. I can see the red flashing lights from my Phantom during the day, ANYTHING that helps spot your tiny little quadcopter will help.

Like I said before. People don't use seat belts but does that mean we shouldn't have them??

A light can help during the day too. I can see the red flashing lights from my Phantom during the day, ANYTHING that helps spot your tiny little quadcopter will help.

Like I said before. People don't use seat belts but does that mean we shouldn't have them??
Lights on top will not be visible from below.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub