Making my phantom 3 standard more crash resistant and efficient.

a good bump. You can see in video how easily it comes off. This is why I don't understand how a gimbal guard help.
It would help if I landed on rocks and one was sticking out or a stick or just rough terrain, this terrain could hit the camera.

Why do you recommend using zip ties? What advantages do they have to using anti drop pins?

Anti drop pins are "weak" and breaks apart easily. It doesn't take much force.

So there are 2 school of thoughts on this:

In a "hard impact", do you want your camera unit to fly off your bird or do you want your camera to stay with your bird?

If your answer is former, then stay with the antidrop pin.

If your answer is later, use zip tie.

My thinking is this: if I suffer a collision with enough force to dislodge both antidrop pin, here the likely scenario:

The camera (hold together by magnetic field) will for sure separate from the vertical gimbal axis and ripping the flexable ribbon cable with it. The camera unit (with lens) would fly off in some random direction. Next the rest of the gamble unit would fly off somewhere. After flying off, both unit would presumably have hard impact of their own.

Or I can use a zip tie, the camera unit would come off regardless. The shock energy would transfer to the dampling plate and bending it. But the rest of the gimble unit would stay with the bird. The bird having already impacted would have a much reduced kinetic energy when it falls onto ground. Hopefully the gimbal unit is in that pseudo "cage" and I damage my landing skid instead.

Ribbon is about $60
The dampling plate is $9
The entire gimbal unit with camera is like around $500

Now, I suspect the anti drop pin won't survive even a 15 MPH collision much less 60 MPH. And you would have ruined a camera for a "relatively" slow collision.

In a real life 60MPH impact...here's what happened:

20151115_195309.jpg
20151115_195317.jpg
IMG_7662.JPG
IMG_7701.JPG
20151115_195301.jpg

Last edited:
Zip ties are easier to remove then anti drop pins and provide more stability as you can use 4 zip ties instead of 2 anti drop pins

The anti drop pin actually don't provide "stability" and you don't want it to either. This is also why I said the zip tie should be on very losely. Enough for the white dampener to stretch out.

See my post above on why I choose to use zip tie instead.

In a "hard impact", do you want your camera unit to fly off your bird or do you want your camera to stay with your bird?

My thinking is this: if I suffer a collision with enough force to dislodge both antidrop pin, here the likely scenario:

The camera (hold together by magnetic field) will for sure separate from the vertical gimbal axis and ripping the flexable ribbon cable with it. The camera unit (with lens) would fly off in some random direction. Next the rest of the gamble unit would fly off somewhere. After flying off, both unit would presumably have hard impact of their own.

Or I can use a zip tie, the camera unit would come off regardless. The shock energy would transfer to the dampling plate and bending it. But the rest of the gimble unit would stay with the bird. The bird having already impacted would have a much reduced kinetic energy when it falls onto ground. Hopefully the gimbal unit is in that pseudo "cage" and I damage my landing skid instead.

Ribbon is about $60
The dampling plate is $9

Now, I suspect the anti drop pin won't survive even a 15 MPH collision much less 60 MPH. And you would have ruined a camera for a "relatively" slow collision.

View attachment 39308 View attachment 39309 View attachment 39310 View attachment 39311 View attachment 39312
Yesterday in my crash I broke one anti drop pin

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great ideas in here. I'm going to get that gimbal ribbon protector and try the zip tie idea.

Ribbon is about $60
The dampling plate is $9

View attachment 39308 View attachment 39309 View attachment 39310 View attachment 39311 View attachment 39312

Good news is that in the P3, the X clamp is made of plastic instead of metal. On a hard impact, the x clamp's arms snaps off instead of bending like the P2Vplus.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj