Making money...

Reaction score
Let's just "pretend" that you make $80 here and there photographing farms, etc. The "marketing" is via FaceBook posts. What the worst that the FAA could do to you?

The worst? Send you the jail. If caught, I'm assuming they wouldn't do more than call you or send a letter. If you kept getting caught, they might fine you.

deal with da man.jpg

First foremost you need to understand that there is a difference between a regulatory agency and an enforcement agency. The FAA is a regulatory agency. They really don't have much of an enforcement arm.

I've never heard of the FAA sending anyone to jail. Not saying its never happened, but I've never heard of it. With certified pilots, their goto punishment is some sort of certificate action (suspension, revocation etc). With Joe Schmo? Well there's no certificate for them to go after.

I suppose they try to impose a fine, but that poses a secondary problem. What happens if they fine Joe Schmo and he don't pay? I suppose they could take action and try to get him thrown in the hoosegow. But putting jackwagons behind bars isn't really what they do. Remember, they're regulatory not enforcement. So putting someone behind bars would really take a **** ton of paperwork that they probably don't want to do. Especially for some peanuthead flying a little toy drone. I mean they've got the entire airline industry to worry about after all.

So they're really rather not fine Joe Schmo. Not saying they won't, but they'd rather not. Because if he don't pay, its a headache for them. So that leaves menacing letters with idle threats. Which is pretty much all that's happened so far.

Here's an interesting story I found through google that is sort of related and illustrates what I'm talking about.

What happens if you get caught flying a plane without a pilots licence?

I fly at an airport that is having a problem with this actually. There is a guy that lost his medical a while ago and kept on flying. Someone found out and the FAA got involved. They ended up revoking his certificate. The pilot continued to fly.

At this point the fsdo is unwilling to do anything about it. They said they have no more authority over the matter. They are a regulatory agency, not an enforcement agency.

There are laws to deal with this, but without the communication and cooperation with law enforcement nothing is going to happen. If and when everything catches up with this guy, then he will be in a world of hurt.

More often that not, this is how it goes in these cases. Guy loses his medical or doesn't have a license for some reason. The FAA finds out, tells him to stop and takes his certificate away (if he has one). And if the guy keeps doing it? The FAA brushes their hands says there's nothing we can do and walks away. Its one of the dirty little secrets of aviation.

Up until now the FAA could get away with it because the problem has generally solved itself. If you're flying without a license or medical, there's probably a reason and so if you do it long enough, you're probably going to end up in a smoking hole in the ground and then its problem solved.

But drones lack this darwinian advantage. So I suspect the FAA is going to have to step up and actually get enforcement agencies involved sooner or later. I also suspect they'll be looking to make examples of people in order to serve as a warning to others.

So the long and short answer is the FAA probably won't do much if they catch you making some extra scratch, but the day is coming when that's going to change and you won't want to be the guy in the hot seat they day that happens.

"]Let's just "pretend" that you make $80 here and there photographing farms, etc. The "marketing" is via FaceBook posts. What the worst that the FAA could do to you?"

Hi, I found a website that is promoting this kind of work, it seems under construction but looks promising...I've registered since it's for free, so it doesn't harm... www.jobs4drones.com
So far I've done some wedding photo shoots for like 250 Euros with my Yuneec Q500+
would like to get more jobs like this...

Best advice is to call the FAA or a lawyer. Taking legal advise from forum participants is not smart. Contrary to popular belief you'll just be a voice on the phone, the NSA is not going to be tracking your call, relax.

The FAA is not going to put you in jail but can assess a civil penalty. And If you don't pay they certainly can petition a federal court for an award. Your bank account, your car, your home. etc. Here's a database you can search for past cases:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/AGC400/Civil_Penalty/

My question to you is if $80 worth the legal hassle? And are you independently wealthy enough to afford the legal fight? And keep in mind that the standby response that the feds are "too busy to come after lil 'ol me" is not going to comfort you if you happen to be the one they pick to send a message to others. It's sort of like speeding in a pack past a cop, you are rolling the dice.

And this type of response always comes from someone who's never been caught, thus unreliable advice.

BTW, if one is planning to do an illegal thing, stay off forums and the internet.

Reactions: dirkclod and DarylV
$80 isn't worth the hassle, but 7 or 8 jobs at that may be. I'm seriously out in the middle of nowhere, flying at minimum heights to get good shots. So pathetic that we're not able to do this.

I have dealt with the FCC for over 30 years, in some ways they are like the FAA (I'm also a licensed pilot), Those type agencies use to never fine anyone,,guess what, they figured out they can have some additional money by fining people,,,yes they can and will fine you.

I have dealt with the FCC for over 30 years, in some ways they are like the FAA (I'm also a licensed pilot), Those type agencies use to never fine anyone,,guess what, they figured out they can have some additional money by fining people,,,yes they can and will fine you.
Yes, but we live in a much more lawless and disrespectful society...and stupid:confused:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1