Making money with your Video/Pics?

TheMattSanner said:
So...

I'm still a little unclear.

I have a business, with a business license, insurance, etc. So that covers me for the legality of taking money in exchange for services rendered.

But are you saying that, while I can take pictures from the ground with my business, if I put my GoPro on a Phantom and charge for THOSE images, I'm violating some kind of law? (I'm here in Virginia, and AFAIK, the only laws about UAVs restrict the POLICE from using them, not civilians. Woot.) But does the fact that I'm flying a "toy" plane (hobby craft, albeit sophisticated), and charge for my images, somehow put me in a different light with the FAA?

FAA dont care if its a toy or not. They still require you to be a certified operator. The final regs haven't been set in stone in the us as yet, but there is some businesses certified to fly UAVs!

As for the insurance, no insurance will cover you if your doing something that your business isn't certified to do! I.E. fly a UAV. I imagine your car is somewhat cover under your business insurance, however if you were to crash while speeding or an un-licensed driver was driving, the cover would be voided.

It's also worth remembering that even if you fly and provide photo/videos to another person or business for free and they go on to use them for promoting/advertising etc then they can still be fined!

If you wish to regulate something, first you must define that which you wish to regulate. The government has begun to take that first step with the latest Aviation Modernization act. They define the UAV (that's the term being used going forward not Drone thank goodness).

As I posted earlier in this thread there is no regulation on flying your copter recreational/hobby. There is currently no regulation on making a buck from your filming with your copter. However, if you go out and do like this trappy guy did and recklessly endanger people or property then the law will pull you into a different category in order to prosecute or fine you should you be engaged in commercial operation. His case is interesting from a legal standpoint and should set some precedence in the interim. Were he not getting compensated it's likely the local police would have had to follow up because the reckless endangerment is obvious from the video. FAA steps in on two counts. Airspace violation around the heliport and the reckless operation.

Again, one guy, one example of the lack of common sense and everyone else enjoying this (hobby/sport/profession whatever you call it) endeavor is affected.

It's simple ... don't place your craft in a position to damage or harm persons or property in the event of a catastrophic failure of a component. The flyaways .... well, there's nothing much you can do about that and I would think the eventual cause would be placed directly back on the manufacturer. Battery faults on the Vision ... iffy. The problem is well known in the community and without doubt the dealers and manufacturer. The question would be did you knowingly operate a machine with a known defect or were you ignorant of the fact. Either way ... someone gets hurt ..... someone pays.

This technology is moving faster than the regulators can function. Up until now there's really been no need to regulate. However, it's beginning to look like big brother will have no choice but to step in and largely due to operations such as those we see on youtube from the usual suspects.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj