Making IOC and Home Lock work properly

AnselA said:
OI Photography said:
Also, HL only works when 30ft or more away from the home point...within that radius the Phantom will respond as normal.

In another thread people say that Phantom will switch to CL when it flies inside 30 ft boundary?

That may indeed be correct, I confess it's been quite a while since I've used it.

OI Photography said:
AnselA said:
OI Photography said:
Also, HL only works when 30ft or more away from the home point...within that radius the Phantom will respond as normal.

In another thread people say that Phantom will switch to CL when it flies inside 30 ft boundary?

That may indeed be correct, I confess it's been quite a while since I've used it.

That's right. Since HL sets "direction" based on known distance to homepoint, within 10m its confidence is too low to do this accurately, so it automatically switches into course lock. Once outside of the 10m range it should switch back to home lock.

dbrack said:
I find HL a little challenging in that it has a radial characteristic. CL seems to make more sense. It flys in straight lines.

At least as I'm seeing it!

db

Yup... HL is radial, and your home point (Where GPS recorded your takeoff) is at the center of those spokes... If you lose orientation and the aircraft is too far out for you to see the lights, going into HL allows you to pull the right stick towards you and, no matter what the aircraft's orientation, it will come back towards you. It can be a real savior... :)

-slinger

ElGuano said:
That's right. Since HL sets "direction" based on known distance to homepoint, within 10m its confidence is too low to do this accurately, so it automatically switches into course lock. Once outside of the 10m range it should switch back to home lock.

In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... hKVD0SfyDk

When Phantom crossed 10 m boundary, there was no visible change in the flight direction. Why not, if it changed from HL to CL?

AnselA said:
In this video:

When Phantom crossed 10 m boundary, there was no visible change in the flight direction. Why not, if it changed from HL to CL?

He's coming back at a really shallow angle, at full speed. There's a lot of momentum carrying the quad and not a lot of direction change, so it's hard to see the effect. If he flew out directly to the sides or behind his course lock position and then initiated home lock, you would have seen the correction much more clearly.

DJI has several wiki pages about the 10m behavior and it's in the NAZA manual as well:
(6) When flying in Home Lock mode, if any of the following situations happen, then the system will quit Home Lock flying and automatically enter Course Lock flying. The aircraft will fly in Course Lock using the earlier forward direction.
a) The aircraft fly’s within 10m range of the home point.
b) You toggle the control mode switch to the ATTI. Mode.
c) The GPS signal becomes bad (The GPS signal LED is blinking Red twice or three times).

SilentAV8R said:
Click the upper right where it says "Phantom" that will toggle you into NAZA-M mode. You can enable IOC, etc. there. If you want to go back to using just the Phantom mode, toggle that button again.

You should have your aircraft hooked up to the USB and turned on too. Make sure to take the props off first (takes 10 seconds and it is the safest thing to do).

i feel like a dummy know. tried what you said and i finally see it.
I am flying on a Futaba Tx.
SE (S1) is now GPS, ATTI, FAILSAFE
SA (S2) IOCis now activated OFF, Course Lock, Home Lock

hope this all works! testing as soon as its not WINDY
:shock:

I flew it again yesterday and Home Lock worked. I don't know what happened the first time.

AnselA said:
Mori55 said:
Home locks come straight back to you until about 30' feet then it goes into course lock.

And where does it go when locked to CL and going out of 30 feet distance?

It's been too windy to fly lately, so I haven't been able to test (there's some curious language in the DJI documentation I want to test against, and I usually never fly CL or HL outside of getting back into LOS). What have you observed with HL in the 10m radius?

ElGuano said:
AnselA said:
Mori55 said:
Home locks come straight back to you until about 30' feet then it goes into course lock.

And where does it go when locked to CL and going out of 30 feet distance?

It's been too windy to fly lately, so I haven't been able to test (there's some curious language in the DJI documentation I want to test against, and I usually never fly CL or HL outside of getting back into LOS). What have you observed with HL in the 10m radius?

I am still on Vision 2 mode, mentally preparing myself to "upgrade" to NAZA mode. That's why I am asking advice.

AnselA said:
Mori55 said:
It's not as big of a deal as your making it.

Agree, not a big deal. Just a simple question, which nobody seems to know the answer?

It's probably just because nobody flies that way. You fly, you switch to HL and bring it back to you, then you switch back to OFF. Or you fly in HL, bring it in to 10m, then bring it back out. It probably goes right back to HL, or it stays in CL. If the latter, you just flip IOC down to CL and then back to HL, and you keep flying.

Quick question on HL...

If you hold the right stick to the right in HL mode, does the phantom circle around the home point?

HeliTV said:
Quick question on HL...

If you hold the right stick to the right in HL mode, does the phantom circle around the home point?

Yep, it's radial. >10m range, that's exactly what it should do:

FC40-Step_3_IOC_flying_2nd_test.jpg

Great so I could set a home point and move a car into the home point and circle around it using HL mode?

Think I'll have to try this... :)

HeliTV said:
Great so I could set a home point and move a car into the home point and circle around it using HL mode?

Think I'll have to try this... :)

That should work. Remember it only works outside of the 10m circle surrounding the home point. So it can't be a very tight circle (it won't be like a POI with a WKM/A2).

I am a new Phantom FC40 owner with 6 flights under my belt. Naza-M V2 4.02 loaded; IOC programmed to follow Switch 2 settings according to instructions with positions of off, course lock and home lock. All flight performance is as expected (gps, atto, fail safe return to home, etc) except I cannot get course lock to work. I don't think home lock is working either, but I haven't spent as much time on that. Naza assistant shows switch 2 movements properly responding. Any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl