Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Making a Glare Guard For Your Phone Out of Cardboard?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by jimerb, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jimerb

Has anyone ever tried making a glare guard to shield your phone from glare while you're flying?

I have an IPhone 6S Plus with a Otterbox defender case (encases the screen) and all of the stock glare guards i've been looking for on Amazon don't seem to fit a big phone spec like that.

I'm thinking how hard can it be? Just wondering if anyone ever did that. Ever since I got Google Cardboard, I'm thinking anything might be possible.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

3. bobmyers

there have been several home made ones posted on the forum.

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I was going to make one but for about $10 you can get one pre-made with velcro and all so I scuttled that idea and just bought one on Amazon and had it in 2 day. Problem solved. ;)
    If you can't find the size you like go bigger and buy one for an iPad mini.

jimerb likes this.
  5. jimerb

Would the pre-made ones for the mini hold the phone secure? I've never used one before so I'm not sure how it attaches.

6. Dirby

i an useing the Ausus Zen Pad and i just wraped a piece of card board around it and duct taped it to it.
    there is a guy named stacey in Birmingham Al that makes shields for a lot if different phones and tablets
    AerialDroneAccessoiies.com
    give stacey a whirl

7. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They are typically made to fit the Inspire/P3A/P style device mount. There are slots for the mount and typically suction cup sheet mounts in it. My iPad mini will stick to the suction cup sheets no problem.
    The one pictured on the right is $9.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Inspi..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0XSJZ4M7YA870TQPTPGN

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. alokbhargava

I tried hand made as well bought one but they are useless in California 's bright light :) these devices are not really field monitors and have illumination below 500 cd/m2. I will try to see if an anti glare film in addition to the shade will improve visibility. Else I will go for 1000cd/m2 7" HD monitor or HD goggles.

9. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You could do what one guy here did and converted one of those shower/porta potti tents into command central to stay out of the sun. :D

[​IMG]

STAINLESS and jimerb like this.
  10. alokbhargava

You really made me laugh this morning. Thanks.

11. jimerb

Question on the Anbee glare guard:

My case has rubber around it. Do you think the suction cups will adhere to it? Where is upper grip hooked to? The top of the Inspire?

12. AlexSP

I tried a few ones commercially available and found the DJI ones to be the best in most aspects (light, sturdy, well built, non obtrusive, effective, etc.). Weight is always an issue to me, even when using a small tablet or phone I prefer the lightest setup possible so I did one out of carbon fiber. Just laid a big sheet, cut the pieces to fit, then assembled and glued a velvety black paper to the inner sides. Super light and it´s stealthy as f... too LOL. Too bad I moved from the iPad Air I was using, now I prefer the Mini 4 and will have to build a new one for that size. Untill then the DJI is working pretty fine. I´d say a cardboard one should be easy and nice solution too.

13. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I am using a iPad Mini with a LifeProof Nuude case so I bought the iPad Air (bigger) shield and it fits fine with a little space around it.
    The iPad sticks to the suction cups and holds in place. The shade has slots in it so the Inspire holder protrudes through it and holds the device (as if there was no shield there).

14. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

jimerb likes this.
  15. jimerb

I just looked at the Nuude on amazon and it looks like there is a rubbery top and bottom and it's slick in the middle. Do the suction cups stick to the rubbery part? The back of my case is slightly pliable rubber. it's not a smooth hard surface.

16. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I assume it is sticking to the smooth part. Unless the rubber is smooth I doubt they would stick. It doesn't matter much anyways because the Inspire holder does all the work, the suction cups seem to be redundant.

17. jimerb

Got it! I'm off to Amazon!!! Thank you for your help!!!

Love the Tee-Pee!

18. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

19. Bob Valley

Here is what I made and it doesn't matter how bright the sun is. If need be you put your face up to it and all the sun is blocked out. The picture of the screen is taken in brilliant sun light and the camera is still a couple of inches away. The hood is made with black foam board from Michael's. The tab you see on the bottom is duct tape And goes between the tablet and the bracket to hold it in place. It also serves as a hinge so you can tip it up to
    touch the screen.
    View.jpg hood 2.jpg Untitled 1.jpg Untitled 6.jpg Untitled 7.jpg
    Bob

STAINLESS and AsiaFlyer like this.
  20. Oso

Oso