Making a Glare Guard For Your Phone Out of Cardboard?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried making a glare guard to shield your phone from glare while you're flying?

I have an IPhone 6S Plus with a Otterbox defender case (encases the screen) and all of the stock glare guards i've been looking for on Amazon don't seem to fit a big phone spec like that.

I'm thinking how hard can it be? Just wondering if anyone ever did that. Ever since I got Google Cardboard, I'm thinking anything might be possible.

Has anyone ever tried making a glare guard to shield your phone from glare while you're flying?

I have an IPhone 6S Plus with a Otterbox defender case (encases the screen) and all of the stock glare guards i've been looking for on Amazon don't seem to fit a big phone spec like that.

I'm thinking how hard can it be? Just wondering if anyone ever did that. Ever since I got Google Cardboard, I'm thinking anything might be possible.
there have been several home made ones posted on the forum.

I was going to make one but for about $10 you can get one pre-made with velcro and all so I scuttled that idea and just bought one on Amazon and had it in 2 day. Problem solved. ;)
If you can't find the size you like go bigger and buy one for an iPad mini.

Reactions: jimerb
Would the pre-made ones for the mini hold the phone secure? I've never used one before so I'm not sure how it attaches.

i an useing the Ausus Zen Pad and i just wraped a piece of card board around it and duct taped it to it.
there is a guy named stacey in Birmingham Al that makes shields for a lot if different phones and tablets
AerialDroneAccessoiies.com
give stacey a whirl

I tried hand made as well bought one but they are useless in California 's bright light :) these devices are not really field monitors and have illumination below 500 cd/m2. I will try to see if an anti glare film in addition to the shade will improve visibility. Else I will go for 1000cd/m2 7" HD monitor or HD goggles.

You could do what one guy here did and converted one of those shower/porta potti tents into command central to stay out of the sun. :D

23344.jpg

You could do what one guy here did and converted one of those shower/porta potti tents into command central to stay out of the sun. :D

23344.jpg
You really made me laugh this morning. Thanks.

Question on the Anbee glare guard:

My case has rubber around it. Do you think the suction cups will adhere to it? Where is upper grip hooked to? The top of the Inspire?

I tried a few ones commercially available and found the DJI ones to be the best in most aspects (light, sturdy, well built, non obtrusive, effective, etc.). Weight is always an issue to me, even when using a small tablet or phone I prefer the lightest setup possible so I did one out of carbon fiber. Just laid a big sheet, cut the pieces to fit, then assembled and glued a velvety black paper to the inner sides. Super light and it´s stealthy as f... too LOL. Too bad I moved from the iPad Air I was using, now I prefer the Mini 4 and will have to build a new one for that size. Untill then the DJI is working pretty fine. I´d say a cardboard one should be easy and nice solution too.

Question on the Anbee glare guard:

My case has rubber around it. Do you think the suction cups will adhere to it? Where is upper grip hooked to? The top of the Inspire?
I am using a iPad Mini with a LifeProof Nuude case so I bought the iPad Air (bigger) shield and it fits fine with a little space around it.
The iPad sticks to the suction cups and holds in place. The shade has slots in it so the Inspire holder protrudes through it and holds the device (as if there was no shield there).

Reactions: jimerb
I just looked at the Nuude on amazon and it looks like there is a rubbery top and bottom and it's slick in the middle. Do the suction cups stick to the rubbery part? The back of my case is slightly pliable rubber. it's not a smooth hard surface.

I just looked at the Nuude on amazon and it looks like there is a rubbery top and bottom and it's slick in the middle. Do the suction cups stick to the rubbery part? The back of my case is slightly pliable rubber. it's not a smooth hard surface.
I assume it is sticking to the smooth part. Unless the rubber is smooth I doubt they would stick. It doesn't matter much anyways because the Inspire holder does all the work, the suction cups seem to be redundant.

Got it! I'm off to Amazon!!! Thank you for your help!!!

Love the Tee-Pee!

I tried hand made as well bought one but they are useless in California 's bright light :) these devices are not really field monitors and have illumination below 500 cd/m2. I will try to see if an anti glare film in addition to the shade will improve visibility. Else I will go for 1000cd/m2 7" HD monitor or HD goggles.

Here is what I made and it doesn't matter how bright the sun is. If need be you put your face up to it and all the sun is blocked out. The picture of the screen is taken in brilliant sun light and the camera is still a couple of inches away. The hood is made with black foam board from Michael's. The tab you see on the bottom is duct tape And goes between the tablet and the bracket to hold it in place. It also serves as a hinge so you can tip it up to
touch the screen.
View.jpg hood 2.jpg Untitled 1.jpg Untitled 6.jpg Untitled 7.jpg
Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan