Making a 3D V1 from a 3D V1.1 and a 2D

Reaction score
So.... I want to upgrade from my existing 2D to the 3D. I have an old P2 so I know I have to either modify the frame or rig an adaptor plate. I can handle that. The concern I have is with the flimsy ribbon cable on the 3D V1.1

As I already have 2D, has anyone thought about taking the mounting plate off the 2D and putting it on the 3D to get the rear connector functionality again?

Obviously this means I wouldn't be able to sell the 2D, but I'd be OK with that.

Thoughts?

Did this just the other day - works perfectly.
The only minor issue is that it doesn't appear that the 'C' shaped cover plate screws in, but it's not really needed anyway.
Just unscrew the backing plate on both gimbals, unclip the 30 pin connector, then on the 3D peel back the sticker and flip up the black latch holding the ribbon in then insert the 2D mounting plate, slide the ribbon in and flip the black latch back down again. Too easy.

Thank you sir! Thats what I wanted to hear. I was completely happy with my 2D, but now I've seen 3D footage I've started to notice that my 2D does track left and right a bit when going straight, and especially when going straight up......and my stuff looks amateur now, aargh!

SARC said:
Thank you sir! Thats what I wanted to hear. I was completely happy with my 2D, but now I've seen 3D footage I've started to notice that my 2D does track left and right a bit when going straight, and especially when going straight up......and my stuff looks amateur now, aargh!
Don't make the same mistake I did, and imagine the good performing, well behaved 2D, with the addition of the a 3rd axis. It's a totally different animal. It's temperamental, and about 10 percent of the time it screws up either level or hooks left and shows the landing gear.

The ribbon cable is BAD! Despite my best efforts, I got only two flights out of the first cable. Now using the included second cable, with some clear packing tape applied for added protection.

Boring a hole in the bottom of the Phantom is not difficult. I mounted the new top plate on the Phantom, and used it as a guide to drill many very small holes immediately next to each other all the way around the inside circumference of the center hole in the plate, and then slowly applied light side-prrsssure on the bit to finish the cuts. Also had a shopvac in the battery hole the whole time to avoid debris inside as much as possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl