Make drone more visible in air

Reaction score
I plan to film myself and a few others flying our powered paragliders. I was wondering if anybody has attached anything to their drones to make it more visible while in the air? I plan on just having it hold a set point and we'd do some formation fly bys. I was thinking maybe something as simpe as a stick with suction cup on the top of the drone and attach maybe a colored piece of cardboard on the top of the stick? I just don't want one of us accidentally flying into the thing.

$_57.jpg
This helps me a lot. Not sure if this is what you mean?
$_571.jpg

Reactions: Tarzan!
Some people wrap reflective tape around the landing gear to make it more visible.

i tried a red bicycle light on mine, but don't think it was bright enough to make it effective

I tried putting dayglow orange tape on legs and body last month.
As soon as I was 100m away it was no better than it being white.

Teach someone how to fly it for you?

This sounds irresponsible IIUC.

You can do anything you want. Hahaha it's your drone. ;-)
You can even fly in the rain, if you so desire. Ha

RedHotPoker

Teach someone how to fly it for you?

This sounds irresponsible IIUC.
Well, we're all gonna be flying, so there won't be anyone on the ground. Besides, the purpose of my post was to find a way to make it more visible. Which regardless of if somebody flies it or not, it still needs to be more visible than it is stock.

You can do anything you want. Hahaha it's your drone. ;-)
You can even fly in the rain, if you so desire. Ha

RedHotPoker
LMAO! That's hysterical! I'll see what I can figure out. I just figured I'd check here first to see if there were some good ideas. I was just at a loss for what words to search to find something.

View attachment 59832 This helps me a lot. Not sure if this is what you mean?View attachment 59833
That could work and then maybe attach some colored pieces of plastic in addition. I just feel like while we're flying around, we're gonna lose sight of it pretty easily. So I figure a combination of making it more visible, plus having it above a designated area should help.

I plasti dipped mine dark grey and yellow. It is very easy to spot from the ground with light blue sky/clouds being the background. Only time i lose track of it is if im 300+ AGL and birds fly by and i mistake one of them for my craft.

How about a streamer hanging straight down? It wouldn't be in the way of anything.
I was thinking about that, but figured it might possibly interfere with the gimbal or be in the frame at time? Unless, maybe I could weight the streamer just enough to keep the wind from blowing it into the video's frame...?

I plasti dipped mine dark grey and yellow. It is very easy to spot from the ground with light blue sky/clouds being the background. Only time i lose track of it is if im 300+ AGL and birds fly by and i mistake one of them for my craft.
I like that from a ground perspective, but we're gonna be going at it from multiple angles (from below, above, head on, etc).

I like that from a ground perspective, but we're gonna be going at it from multiple angles (from below, above, head on, etc).
Ah alright. Well maybe the bottom half dark and top left white. Will allow the best of both worlds unless you are viewing down over water with bad sun reflection.

Ah alright. Well maybe the bottom half dark and top left white. Will allow the best of both worlds unless you are viewing down over water with bad sun reflection.
That's an idea. I don't think I'll ever have enough confidence in any electronics to fly my drone over water. haha. So that won't be a problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie