Major jello on P3

Nice footage, it looks like some tw@t has dumped a washing machine from that pull in - I'm guessing this is the place where all the bikers go for a tasty burger every Sunday?

I was up on Pen Y Fan on Sunday, there were two people flying drones in the area (not near anyone or doing anything silly). And someone flying a drone over the castle at Hay on Wye when I was last there - this hobby is getting crowded !

Well spotted. Went up to Bwlch last Sunday and could see Pen Y Farn in the distance - it was very windy but perfect spot to fly...

Just saw this user on FB post his initial video with the P3 and there is a lot of shake, jello going on. I don't know if this is due to the gimbal or just the lack of using a ND filter to slow the shutter down. Has any other early adapters seen this with the units currently arriving?

The guy indicated to me that he was so excited to fly that he forgot to remove the packing foam from the gimbal assembly. I noticed that in some unboxing video this foam does not always have a red sticker; for example see near the 2:28 mark in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHDKop_c9U

He has corrected his mistake and re-flown. Quality looks really good in 4K

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love the P3

Here is 1080P footage shot earlier today
That is just gorgeous, with the good lighting the image has a wonderful luminous quality.
One of the best improvements over Vision Plus is no longer getting that automatic stepped exposure change.

Well spotted. Went up to Bwlch last Sunday and could see Pen Y Farn in the distance - it was very windy but perfect spot to fly...

Hey be careful thats part of the Mach loop where the jets practice...

Thanks for the tip - the other day a Chinook pilot waved at me as I was contemplating aa flight in a field in the middle of no where - amazing sound to hear blade strike of the Chinook (could see the cockpit)

Amazing, definitely somewhere I would like to visit......... But not with the P3.

Well if you do go don't go at the weekend, practice and training only happens on a weekday and mostly in the morning, then its debrief in the afternoon, i should know my cousin was a tornado navigator, he now instructs pilots, what a job hey!

Cad West is the best position and you can park at the bottom and take the path to the top of the hill and look down on the jets.

Heres a better video..

Last edited:
Fwiw, all of the props that came with my P3P were pretty out of balance. I picked the best 4 and flew. Even with 4 props that weren't balanced I saw no jello. DJI's gimbals will always be magic to me.

The foam packing has to be removed to allow the gimbal to work as designed. It is small, and hard to notice unless you are looking for it. It is white and looks like part of the Phantom body. Would transfer prop shake to the videos and disable a key part of the gimbals job in smoothing out motion. A YouTube video is posted here:

Yeah, luckily I was pouring through forums while waiting on my bird to arrive, and I happened across the thread about the foam piece on DJI's forum. That was almost the first thing I took care of when it arrived.

Reactions: Gearie
Removed mine first thing also. Took my maiden flight this morning and had no jello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And check out this one from just before the 1 min mark, gimbal goes a little nuts
not looking good :(

Not sure but if that is the only turn done using roll (most turns I watched were yaws) then the gimbal could simply be configured for FPV mode - at least that is how a P2 would behave. i.e. in FPV mode the gimbal locks to the aircraft in roll rather than to the horizon.

Last edited:
I think I saw in the comments he says that's what happened.
Thanks. I should have read them before posting :oops:

I was panicking on my first two flights. But once I found the white packing at the back of the gimbal assembly it's smooth video all the time now

Though normally this shouldn't happen I'm thinking it's just a simple calibration issue. I remember my older 3 axis gimbal used to do this exact same thing until I recalibrated It. I believe in all of the haste for DJI to meet it's timely demand that maybe some of their units didn't get an exact quality calibration. Or at least I hope it is as simple as that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.