Major Drift...Position hold doesn't do much.

Reaction score
I opened my FC40 this weekend and have 3 low practice flights under my belt. I'm working out the kinks and practicing, but one thing that is giving me trouble is the amount of drifting it does in GPS mode. To be clear, it doesn't drift as much as when its Atti mode...so the GPS is doing something, but when I when I center the sticks it slows down just a little, but still drifts causing me to almost run into stuff a few times.

I wait until I get all green lights, mark my home position, and have done a successful compass calibration before every flight. I also check the EMU thing in the software and it said it did not need a calibration, but I did one anyway. That being said, even though it did not need a calibration the EMU numbers were still moving around a bit even with the drone laying flat on my desk so I don't know if that is part of the problem, but it said a calibration was not required.

Any ideas what is causing my issue? I love this thing so much I just want to get these kinks worked out so I can fly more confidently and without fear of having an accident.

Please help. :(

Try recalibrating the joysticks. Where the center position is located, is part of the calibration process in the Assistant Software for the Phantom

I'll give it a shot just to rule something out, but I don't think thats it. It holds position ok if I just fly it up and let go up the sticks. My issue is when I bring it to full speed and then release the sticks it is suppose to stop, right? This one slows down a little but keeps drifting in direction it was going. By comparison, my much cheaper AR drone stops on a dime whenever you release the joystick.

OK

Doesn't sound like it is the joystick calibration.

I have a feeling that what you are experiencing is the normal operation of the Phantom's flight control system (the Naza)

I've not tried flying as fast as possible and then releasing the sticks, I normally fly quite gently to get better videos.

The weight / mass of the Phantom is not inconsiderable, so stopping on a dime, would require it to change its attitude quite dramatically, and I think there are limits to the changes in attitude that the pilot can give it, though I'm not sure if the internal software has these limits (probably not, or at least not as strict)

Hmmm...I hope thats not it. Like I said I'm coming from a Parrot AR Drone and when you released the sticks on that thing is stopped it in its tracks. And yes, to achieve this the drone's computer would over compensate in the opposite direction of travel to get it told hold position causing it to rock back and fourth---abruptly applying the breaks, but it got the job done. Really helpful feature to keep your drone from running into things.

Basically you know if you're headed toward an obstacle, just release the sticks and you won't have to worry about anything for the most part. I REALLY hope the phantom has this capability.

If you want it to stop quicker "UP" your pitch and roll gains. If you want it to react faster to stick input, UP your atti pitch & roll gains

EMCSQUAR said:
If you want it to stop quicker "UP" your pitch and roll gains. If you want it to react faster to stick input, UP your atti pitch & roll gains

This will effect the way GPS stops it? I say this because I can definitely get some good body roll going on the sticks, but when it comes to the GPS trying to stop it...not so much.

notsojazzyjeff said:
EMCSQUAR said:

This will effect the way GPS stops it? I say this because I can definitely get some good body roll going on the sticks, but when it comes to the GPS trying to stop it...not so much.

GPS doesn't stop it - GPS is just a grid that's used for directions - here read this (middle of page down) NAZA eplained - hope it makes more sense -> http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

EMCSQUAR said:
notsojazzyjeff said:
EMCSQUAR said:

GPS doesn't stop it - GPS is just a grid that's used for directions - here read this (middle of page down) NAZA eplained - hope it makes more sense -> http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

That actually explains a lot. Thank you. I will try upping my gains to see if can stop a little quicker. Just for reference what gain are you running at? I guess its kind of sad that I buy this fancy device and I'm trying my hardest to get it to fly like a Parrot ARDone, but thats what I'm used to... :lol:

notsojazzyjeff said:
That actually explains a lot. Thank you. I will try upping my gains to see if can stop a little quicker. Just for reference what gain are you running at? I guess its kind of sad that I buy this fancy device and I'm trying my hardest to get it to fly like a Parrot ARDone, but thats what I'm used to... :lol:

LOL, you need to experiment w/gains all Phantoms kind of have their own signature and it also depends on the type of flying you do. My best advice is to up them at about 10% at a time. Yes it can be a hassle but it's time well spent. On mine which is a heavily laiden w/Zenmuse,IOSD,TX GTU10, and Ground Station plus it's a P1 in a P2 shell with landing gear - my gains are 135/135/185/100 -125/125 currently, but I change them when using different props or for certain video conditions. It's all personal prefs, but it's nice to have options.

That actually explains a lot. Thank you. I will try upping my gains to see if can stop a little quicker. Just for reference what gain are you running at? I guess its kind of sad that I buy this fancy device and I'm trying my hardest to get it to fly like a Parrot ARDone, but thats what I'm used to... :lol:[/quote]

Check that the surface where you did the advanced calibration is absolutely level (not just by using you're eyes) I also had an AR drone and the phantom stops and holds position just as good as that did so something is wrong with yours. Also if you do get it fixed don't do a compass calibration before every flight only do it when you notice it's starting to drift again.

Check that the surface where you did the advanced calibration is absolutely level (not just by using you're eyes) I also had an AR drone and the phantom stops and holds position just as good as that did so something is wrong with yours. Also if you do get it fixed don't do a compass calibration before every flight only do it when you notice it's starting to drift again.

If its calibrated is it normal for the numbers to move around a bit? I found that odd, but I didnt know if it was normal or not. The phantom wasn't actually moving as far as I could see.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj