Major crash... need advice

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Wow I sure hoped I would not be writing a post like this but..... I crashed hard today and I can only blame myself... I was caught up watching my FPV screen to get the shot and backed right into a tree (thought I was high enough) crashed hard to the pavement.

My first thought was... **** this is too expensive, I'm out. But, I'm hooked on this so I gotta move forward...

I completely trashed the H3-3D zenmuse.... my DJI AV5.8 transmitter seems fried, broke the TX antenna, broken landing gear, majorly dinged up one of the arms. I also thought the motor on that arm was making some noise but now it seems ok.

I took it all apart, fixed what I could and was actually able to do a quick test flight but no gimbal or FPV of course. My question is do you think it's smart to fix it? I mean, I don't want it to be unreliable or constantly fight vibration, etc. I'm not saying money isn't a concern but I'm also afraid of throwing good money after bad...

I'd love any thoughts or info. Thanks in advance.

Aside from the zenmuse there aren't too many parts of the phantom that are too expensive... From the sounds of it... It doesn't sound like you broke the gps disk or the Main controller... So it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

Just take your time... You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if there's a major vibration... Don't put a new gimbal or camera back on until you feel comfortable with the stability of the Phantom.

Sorry... I know it sucks... I destroyed my zenmuse like 3 weeks after I bought the kit...

Crashing is part of the hobby.... And I doubt this will be the last time that you think "I'm out"... We all get there now and again...

Buckaye said:
Aside from the zenmuse there aren't too many parts of the phantom that are too expensive... From the sounds of it... It doesn't sound like you broke the gps disk or the Main controller... So it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

Just take your time... You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if there's a major vibration... Don't put a new gimbal or camera back on until you feel comfortable with the stability of the Phantom.

Sorry... I know it sucks... I destroyed my zenmuse like 3 weeks after I bought the kit...

Crashing is part of the hobby.... And I doubt this will be the last time that you think "I'm out"... We all get there now and again...

Thanks for the info Buckaye. I think I only had the H3-3D for about a month as well :( Good to hear that the major components sound ok. When I did the quick test flight after putting it back together it actually seemed ok - dinged up props and all.

I nearly flew right into a power line Saturday in the middle of a shoot with a producer and director standing right next to me. The wire was at a funny angle and I just didn't see it until I was right on it. It was less than a foot underneath the Phantom. We have to accept these things can happen.

To make sure your P2 is OK, look for play in the motors, both up and down and side to side. Check if they bind or resist turning at all. Make sure the motor mounts aren't damaged and torque the screws. Make sure the arm is not bent or cracked anywhere. Recalibrate everything then get back in the air.

Thanks ianwood,

I'll double check the motors as you mentioned. The arm doesn't seem bent but just pretty banged up on the end where it hit. Just cosmetic damage I think.

I appreciate the replies guys, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20