Major app update - DJI Ultimate Flight

A new update is now online (3.146); if you have 3.145 there is an issue starting waypoint missions caused by some overly strict validation which has been fixed in 3.146.

3.146 offers the capability to create waypoint missions using altitude above ground level (AGL) rather than the default above takeoff (ATO). A new property has been added to the mission's properties (uses AGL) and when enabled the app will calculate the waypoint altitudes when the mission is started (a new altitude profile review screen has been added as well).

With this change you can move between ATO and AGL and the app will prompt if you want to convert the existing mission; meaning that you can create a mission in AGL and change it to ATO before heading to the field, especially important if the flying location may not have internet access.

For the immediate future the ability to use AGL is free but as more people being using the feature expect a small charge for use. The feature uses Google Elevation Services, a service Google charges for so I expect to add a small charge to cover my costs; nothing much, I'm currently estimating a cost of $1/month for unlimited AGL waypoints (likely in 6 month or 12 month subscriptions).

@ ken - my farm is at 4000 and extends downward to 2800. Very steep hillside. How can I launch at ground level and fly a mission over the farm dipping 500 or more feet below take off? Add minus sign?

@ ken - my farm is at 4000 and extends downward to 2800. Very steep hillside. How can I launch at ground level and fly a mission over the farm dipping 500 or more feet below take off? Add minus sign?

Yes, you can fly negative altitude but in order to enter values you will need to enable text mode. Main page=>settings=>Flight mode=>use text editor.

Another options would be to set the mission to "uses AGL" and set your altitudes above ground level. Then either change the mission to above take off (by disabling uses AGL) and allow the app to calculate the altitudes or you can leave the mission set to uses AGL and review the missions before you fly the mission.

So can you circumvent the 200m below launch point limitation in the DJI GO app by using DJI Ultimate flight in this manner?

Yes, you can fly negative altitude but in order to enter values you will need to enable text mode. Main page=>settings=>Flight mode=>use text editor.

Another options would be to set the mission to "uses AGL" and set your altitudes above ground level. Then either change the mission to above take off (by disabling uses AGL) and allow the app to calculate the altitudes or you can leave the mission set to uses AGL and review the missions before you fly the mission.

I will try option 1. Option 2 has too many opportunities for mistakes. I read somewhere of an app that has the drone adjusting height according to the rise and fall of the landscape.

The possibility of that would be incredibly beneficial for all kinds of topographical applications IMO but I really want to fly the hillside at 200 AGL with continuous changes in elevation.

Last edited:
So can you circumvent the 200m below launch point limitation in the DJI GO app by using DJI Ultimate flight in this manner?

The app itself places no additional restrictions on elevation than what is enforced in the firmware but I've not tried such low altitudes myself. I have a number of canyon fliers but I haven't heard from them on how much below takeoff they fly so I can't say. An incomplete answer, sorry, DJI doesn't document this so it's mainly through trial that these kinds of things are discovered.

kenargo - whats the best way to submit bugs or talk about issues? I have a link to your google groups, but not sure how active you are. Long story short, after the last app update (running 1.7 firmware) i had some odd errors about the SDCard Missing, UAV Power being zero and not being able to communicate with the camer. The device disconnected for 3 seconds, then for 19 seconds and after that, RTH kicked in. I was about 8k feet out in the middle of nowhere, so i was properly freaked out. I checked all of the logs in the \DJI_Ultimate_Flight\DebugLogs folder and the \DJI_Ultimate_Flight\Tracks folder and there is no evidence of any issues (I have advanced flight logging enabled). I've uploaded to HealthyDrones, but wanted to see if you wanted more specific/detailed information. I love the app .. but having these errors pop up at 8k feet out was concerning. Below is my HD log:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

(I do software support as a profession and love digging, triage and break-fix, so happy to help if i can in terms of bugs or improving the product. One feature would be nice is a utility to force stop the DJI Go service :) )

kenargo - whats the best way to submit bugs or talk about issues? I have a link to your google groups, but not sure how active you are. Long story short, after the last app update (running 1.7 firmware) i had some odd errors about the SDCard Missing, UAV Power being zero and not being able to communicate with the camer. The device disconnected for 3 seconds, then for 19 seconds and after that, RTH kicked in. I was about 8k feet out in the middle of nowhere, so i was properly freaked out. I checked all of the logs in the \DJI_Ultimate_Flight\DebugLogs folder and the \DJI_Ultimate_Flight\Tracks folder and there is no evidence of any issues (I have advanced flight logging enabled). I've uploaded to HealthyDrones, but wanted to see if you wanted more specific/detailed information. I love the app .. but having these errors pop up at 8k feet out was concerning. Below is my HD log:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

(I do software support as a profession and love digging, triage and break-fix, so happy to help if i can in terms of bugs or improving the product. One feature would be nice is a utility to force stop the DJI Go service :) )

The best way to send bug is either to email [email protected] or post on the support group. I am very active on the group.

Speaking to your issues you mention. the SD card missing is something in the timing inside the SDK. I've seen that the SDK will send an SD card error when the connection becomes weak. I could ignore it in these cases but I am cautions to do that just in case there is really an issue.

Power reporting was an issue with the prior SDK (3.0.1) but the new SDK 3.1 (which the 3.146 version uses) appears to have fixed that issue.

The connection/disconnection is all SDK managed but can also be a result of having the GO app running in the background or having the Android USB debugging mode enabled.

The RTH kicking in would be 100% firmware (assuming you didn't trigger it yourself which it sounds like you didn't). The app only triggers RTH under a single condition, when you touch the RTH button and confirm the RTH operation. I'm guessing, based on the description that the firmware decided to perform RTH for some reason.

I'm no expert in diagnosing the HD logs but I noticed that battery cell #3 reported a fairly large deviation; I wonder if that was the cause for the sudden RTH? Maybe ask the HD question on a separate thread and perhaps someone will be able to interpret what the cell deviation.

Looking at the areas you had signal loss they appear as I would expect if signal was really lost (connection and signal is all within DJI's code). The area reporting no signal is very square and uniformly positioned with the takeoff location as I would expect if the signal was really lost for some reason (obstruction, interference, etc.). Since the app doesn't control signal strength and connection is managed within DJI's code I don't expect that app is at fault here but I can't say that the hiccup with the battery was (or wasn't) a contributing factor.

Sorry I could be much more help but from what I can tell you may have a battery cell going bad but be sure to ask someone with more knowledge interpreting the HD logs and see what they say.

The app itself places no additional restrictions on elevation than what is enforced in the firmware but I've not tried such low altitudes myself. I have a number of canyon fliers but I haven't heard from them on how much below takeoff they fly so I can't say. An incomplete answer, sorry, DJI doesn't document this so it's mainly through trial that these kinds of things are discovered.
DJI imposes a strict 200m below launch point and a 1500m above launch point limitation, in an attempt to limit flying to 400 feet AGL without being able to measure AGL. For most, that's enough of a range, but in many situations, such as flying from a hilltop or mountaintop to the deep valley below, or climbing a mountain from the base, they may be too restrictive.

DJI imposes a strict 200m below launch point and a 1500m above launch point limitation, in an attempt to limit flying to 400 feet AGL without being able to measure AGL. For most, that's enough of a range, but in many situations, such as flying from a hilltop or mountaintop to the deep valley below, or climbing a mountain from the base, they may be too restrictive.

Well that's a bummer. I don't know why DJI would care about going lower but not much that can be done to override the firmware.

Well that's a bummer. I don't know why DJI would care about going lower but not much that can be done to override the firmware.
Yes, the 200m below is much more onerous than the 500m above. Lots of mountain tops would otherwise make great vantage points from which to fly, in any direction, to the valleys and base of the mountain below, while safely following the terrain down, at 100 feet above ground level, while also maintaining clear LOS for signal and FPV.

Last edited:
I've added additional documentation on the new mission template functionality into the online docs and am including a copy of the section here as well. Images did not copy in the past so you should use the online documentation in order to see the example.

Mission templates where added in version 3.146 (last week) but where not completely documented until now.

Mission Template
A mission template is an advanced type of mission that can be relocated to different locations while maintaining the mission flight pattern and details.

When a mission template is loaded the app will make the appropriate calculations needed to relocate the mission to the new location, adjusting individual waypoints as needed to recreate the mission in the new location.

Template waypoints must be placed into the “Templates” folder.

A mission template is identical to a traditional mission with the additions of 3 parameters:

· referenceLatitude – Defines the reference latitude of a template mission. Reference location specifies the location the app will use when relocating the mission to the new flight location. Normally the reference location would represent the center of flight. For example, if the mission template is for building survey you would specify the reference point as the center of the flight’s orbit path.

· referenceLongitude - Defines the reference latitude of a template mission.

· usesAGL – When “false” (default) all waypoint altitudes will be treated as if they indicate the altitude above takeoff location. Set to “true” indicates that the altitudes are above ground level and the app will use elevation services to calculate the above takeoff altitude needed for proper waypoint flight.

· fixedAltitude – When specified the app will ignore all waypoint specified altitudes and use the value indicated as the altitude for all waypoints. A value of 999 disables the functionality and individual waypoint altitudes will be used.

Example:

The above mission was loaded using the location of waypoint 1 as the reference location. The same mission, as a template was loaded at a different location (below). Notice how the mission has an identical waypoint flight path but the locations of the waypoints have been adjusted to the new location.

Loading a mission template
In order to load a mission template you must first establish a reference point at the flying location. The reference point is used by the app to align the reference location, contained in the mission template to the flying location. There are 2 ways to establish the reference point at the flight location:

1) While in flight, open the waypoint flight mode. Once the aircraft is at the location you want the mission template aligned to use the “record point” button to create a single waypoint on the map. This single point will be the reference point.

2) While in waypoint mode (either waypoint offline editor or waypoint flight mode) touch the map at the location you want the mission template aligned. The point will be used as the flight reference point.

Once the reference point is established the mission template can be loaded. Load the mission template by touching the “load” button. You will notice an additional, “Templates” tab. Using the “Templates” tab you will be able to browse all mission templates you have created and saved to the device. Select the template you wish to use and the app will calculate the new mission locations.

Note: Unless you are flying in flat terrain it is suggested that you set “usesAGL” to TRUE and allow the app to recalculate the altitude at the new location.

I've added additional documentation on the new mission template functionality into the online docs and am including a copy of the section here as well. Images did not copy in the past so you should use the online documentation in order to see the example.

Mission templates where added in version 3.146 (last week) but where not completely documented until now.

Mission Template
A mission template is an advanced type of mission that can be relocated to different locations while maintaining the mission flight pattern and details.

When a mission template is loaded the app will make the appropriate calculations needed to relocate the mission to the new location, adjusting individual waypoints as needed to recreate the mission in the new location.

Template waypoints must be placed into the “Templates” folder.

A mission template is identical to a traditional mission with the additions of 3 parameters:

· referenceLatitude – Defines the reference latitude of a template mission. Reference location specifies the location the app will use when relocating the mission to the new flight location. Normally the reference location would represent the center of flight. For example, if the mission template is for building survey you would specify the reference point as the center of the flight’s orbit path.

· referenceLongitude - Defines the reference latitude of a template mission.

· usesAGL – When “false” (default) all waypoint altitudes will be treated as if they indicate the altitude above takeoff location. Set to “true” indicates that the altitudes are above ground level and the app will use elevation services to calculate the above takeoff altitude needed for proper waypoint flight.

· fixedAltitude – When specified the app will ignore all waypoint specified altitudes and use the value indicated as the altitude for all waypoints. A value of 999 disables the functionality and individual waypoint altitudes will be used.

Example:

The above mission was loaded using the location of waypoint 1 as the reference location. The same mission, as a template was loaded at a different location (below). Notice how the mission has an identical waypoint flight path but the locations of the waypoints have been adjusted to the new location.

Loading a mission template
In order to load a mission template you must first establish a reference point at the flying location. The reference point is used by the app to align the reference location, contained in the mission template to the flying location. There are 2 ways to establish the reference point at the flight location:

1) While in flight, open the waypoint flight mode. Once the aircraft is at the location you want the mission template aligned to use the “record point” button to create a single waypoint on the map. This single point will be the reference point.

2) While in waypoint mode (either waypoint offline editor or waypoint flight mode) touch the map at the location you want the mission template aligned. The point will be used as the flight reference point.

Once the reference point is established the mission template can be loaded. Load the mission template by touching the “load” button. You will notice an additional, “Templates” tab. Using the “Templates” tab you will be able to browse all mission templates you have created and saved to the device. Select the template you wish to use and the app will calculate the new mission locations.

Note: Unless you are flying in flat terrain it is suggested that you set “usesAGL” to TRUE and allow the app to recalculate the altitude at the new location.
Just to be clear, your app is still subject to the firmware limitations of 500m above and 200m below your launch point elevation, right?

Just to be clear, your app is still subject to the firmware limitations of 500m above and 200m below your launch point elevation, right?

That is correct, apps can only do what the firmware allows and cannot override firmware enforced limits.

For those following what's new in the beta release...

Updated documentation with details on using the new mission template functionality. Mission templates are identical to waypoint missions but with additional parameters that allows them to be relocated to any flight location. Most useful when you are flying the same mission "pattern" at various locations (e.g., orthophoto shoots, inspection flights, etc.)

Today I released an update with the following:

What's new:

* C1/C2 switch configuration - touch fly settings icon (upper right) to set operations for C1 and C2. Each custom switch supports a short press and long press (2 seconds). Setting is not shown for Phantom 3 Standard.
  • Unassigned
  • Battery Detail
  • Camera forward/down
  • Center metering
  • Camera settings
  • Switch gimbal mode
  • Switch GS/FPV
  • Reset gimbal
  • Gimbal forward
* Mapping missions can be configured to take video or photos. Prior version supported only photo setup for gimbal

* App will prompt for downloading photos and videos taken for each flight. You can choose no download, videos only, photos only or both. By default downloaded files are saved in DJI_Ultimate_Flight\Camera but you can specify a custom folder for each flight and files will be downloaded into the selected folder.

* Confirmation for both RTH and auto-landing.

* RTH and auto-landing operations can be cancelled using the [X] button

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers