Maiden voyage and rules

Reaction score
First flight went well. Did a manual zip around in beginner mode and landed her on my little helipad. Very impressed. I had winds up to 12mph which I was a bit worried about but she took it well.

I'm on a farm but was wondering how far away from the road and power lines I can get away with? I really want this shot of a car traveling down this one road. There's maybe a car every 20 min down this lonely country stretch I'm sure no one would even see it but I'd rather fly responsibly within the rules where possible.

I've read a lot of scary things about flyaways but unsure how common they actually are. Should I be buying a gps tracking device and what ones are people out there using? Will these devices effect the bird in any negative ways when attached?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Should I be buying a gps tracking device and what ones are people out there using? Will these devices effect the bird in any negative ways when attached?
You can find a list of commonly used trackers here. None of those listed are known for interfering with Phantoms.

As long as your flights aren't into any restricted airspace, there should be no problems with the scene that you described. Obviously don't want to get too close to the power lines or towers, but it has been pretty well discussed on threads here that staying far enough away from the lines so that you feel safe is also far enough to avoid any potential issues with interference from the EM fields around the wires.

Great, thanks you guys for the input. I just got an app that shows me where all the restricted areas are which is helpful. Turns out I was only 200m away from one even way the hell out here, without knowing it. Must be a small airport or something I wasn't aware of not that far from here.

As for the GPS tracker I really like the look of the Marco Polo thing but ****.. price tag hurts a little too much on that so I think I'll go the cheaper SIM card ones. I wasn't sure if having a tracker was just paranoia or essential for drone operators but the more I read about issues that evidently were not pilot error the more I think this should go up in my priority list.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik