Magnetic interference while trying to calibrate drone.

Reaction score
I have been flying my P3S now for about two years and have wanting to fly an area that was an old WWll seaplane base with a lot of concrete and rebarr on the ground. ,Because of all of the rebarr, I naturally wouldn't be able to calibrate the copter. Been wondering if I had the new Mavic 2 either Zoom or Pro, would it still be a problem? I could calibrate away from the area first and then possibly fly afterwards where I want to launch from such as the rebarr area. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? I know that the calibration is for the compass but I also wondered if the Lightbridge or Occusink(sp.) would eliminate the problem that I am experiencing.

I have been flying my P3S now for about two years and have wanting to fly an area that was an old WWll seaplane base with a lot of concrete and rebarr on the ground. ,Because of all of the rebarr, I naturally wouldn't be able to calibrate the copter. Been wondering if I had the new Mavic 2 either Zoom or Pro, would it still be a problem? I could calibrate away from the area first and then possibly fly afterwards where I want to launch from such as the rebarr area. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? I know that the calibration is for the compass but I also wondered if the Lightbridge or Occusink(sp.) would eliminate the problem that I am experiencing.
I have only calibrated the compass once in two and a half years of flying and that includes flying thousands of klms from home. If you are concerned about rebar and the like, launch your drone (regardless of which model you happen to have) from a wooden table or the like. No need to calibrate anything unless you have just completed a FW update and even then I've never had to.

Any DJI drone would be affected the same way by steel close to the launch point.
But why are you wanting to calibrate anything anyway?
Calibrating the compass is just to help the Phantom understand which of the magnetic fields it detects are part of the Phantom.

That doesn't change and has nothing to do with where you fly.
Just find a good safe launch point that isn't close to steel and have fun flying.

I have only calibrated the compass once in two and a half years of flying and that includes flying thousands of klms from home. If you are concerned about rebar and the like, launch your drone (regardless of which model you happen to have) from a wooden table or the like. No need to calibrate anything unless you have just completed a FW update and even then I've never had to.
Thank you, I have pretty much done the same thing, I get a error message, the flashing red lights and all when trying to lift off from there. I will possibly try to move to another spot to launch. Thanks again. Still wondering if the Lightbridge would have any better effect than having to use the Wi-Fi that my P3S uses.

Any DJI drone would be affected the same way by steel close to the launch point.
But why are you wanting to calibrate anything anyway?
Calibrating the compass is just to help the Phantom understand which of the magnetic fields it detects are part of the Phantom.

That doesn't change and has nothing to do with where you fly.
Just find a good safe launch point that isn't close to steel and have fun flying.
That makes more sense, thank you.

Thank you, I have pretty much done the same thing, I get a error message, the flashing red lights and all when trying to lift off from there. I will possibly try to move to another spot to launch. Thanks again. Still wondering if the Lightbridge would have any better effect than having to use the Wi-Fi that my P3S uses.
From my experience with my original PS3 and then moving to the P4 platform, Lightbridge is miles in front purely from a much more solid and secure connection/protocol. Much smarter people than me can explain the difference in more technical terms, but I stopped getting the dreaded no image transmission faults, drop outs and other wifi inteference. Apparently later platforms using Occusync is on another level again for performance and reliability. Having said that, avoid areas where there is likely to be high concentrations of steel and the like to launch and land.

From my experience with my original PS3 and then moving to the P4 platform, Lightbridge is miles in front purely from a much more solid and secure connection/protocol. Much smarter people than me can explain the difference in more technical terms, but I stopped getting the dreaded no image transmission faults, drop outs and other wifi inteference. Apparently later platforms using Occusync is on another level again for performance and reliability. Having said that, avoid areas where there is likely to be high concentrations of steel and the like to launch and land.
Thank you my friend, I really appreciate your input.

Reactions: tevek

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT