magnetic interference or GPS

Reaction score
I had just wrapped up updating all firmware earlier today, incl the tx. I had done a 15 minute test flight and re-calibrated the sticks and compass. I flew about 5 minutes above a park to make sure all was going well prior to pulling into my shooting position close to the bldg. No indication whatsoever that there were issues.

Re: flyaway - suspect magnetic interference or GPS

My money is on "rf interference". I've found when flying around heavily resendential and/or city structures my Phantom developes strange behavior, no actual fly-aways but have had it take off on it's own at full throttle under certain circumstances at particular locations. I'm an audio engineer by trade and use wireless mics often and know how RF signals can be compromised. Hell, a leaky microwave oven door seal can interfere with RF signal.

In your instance I'm sure lack of GPS sats probably contributed to your issue but I suspect RF interference is the main culprit.

Never fly in a city or town because every house has Wifi networks, in the US for example those are 10 times stronger as here in europe and quick yellow light means it lost your signal

Reactions: crane-man

justsomeguy said:
Daninho said:
Never fly in a city or town because every house has Wifi networks, in the US for example those are 10 times stronger as here in europe and quick yellow light means it lost your signal

There are hundreds of folks who have flown in cities and towns in the US without issue.

My experience, having flown in the same wifi-saturated US neighborhood dozens of times makes me think that your admonition is extreme.

wifi.jpg
true but there are also hundreds of ppl that have flown in the city and had fly aways :) I think the 2.4GHZ frequency is probably overcrowded cause of the wifi in every house

Step taken thus far:
I put NAZA-M v2 on my PV and flew it extensively over Thanksgiving weekend on my rural property (got great aerial video of blowing up leftovers and the kids' old toys with 4 lbs of tannerite - will post video on request) and I really like the new NAZA release. ATTI mode provided some very good shooting (allows me to rotate on a drift), and gives me a first level goto if there are control issues, I enabled MANUAL mode in the lower position of S1, and flew that only a little - easier than expected. Didn't spend much time with IOC on S2, but saw some uses there as well. Fun stuff all around. I opened up both my barn doors and barnstormed back and forth with ease. Funny every time I see my face in the videos, grinning ear to ear.

So:
-- I've turned clockwise the lower screw on the back of the PV transmitter - from "EC" to "FCC" mode for stronger signal (manual states 300m range for CE, 500m range for FCC). I hope this may help with RF, but I did not test anything with AirMagnet yet. If somebody has something to say about this change, I'd like to hear, precious little is mentioned that the Tx is shipped on the lower powered CE setting.

-- I've zapped the PV with NAZA-M v2.

-- I've grounded flights for the architectural project above until I get more rural flying time with NAZA and IOC, especially ATTI mode. Future flights will operate with the building wifi shut down. Downtown flights will be limited to production video shoots only and assisted by a ground crew.

UPGRADED TRANSMITTER?
I wonder if upgrading to a Futaba Transmitter would be a good move in addition? I would like the thoughts of any 3rd party transmitter users regarding stronger signal.

Thanks DJI China, Thanks DJI Austin.

@deeminny: whoa dude, sounds like you guys are doing impressive work over there taking advantage of these new tech and I wish you all the best in your future drone related projects :)

As for upgrading the tx, I'm also a noob with PV that's been researching this very issue. It seems that Futabas run on 2.4ghz, which is likely to interfere with the FPV signal on the PV. I think my next step up is to go for Phantom 2 w/ zenmuse (2.4ghz control), upgrade to futaba tx/rx, gopro hero 3+ black, and a fatshark goggle running on 5.8ghz.

This Robert Otteson seems like an upstanding individual:

Mr. Robert Lloyd Otteson,Rob, serves as Finance and Accounting Officer, Regional Finance Officer of Asia Pacific of Chevron Lubricants Lanka PLC. Mr. Otteson served as a Director of Chevron Lubricants Lanka PLC until September 3, 2012. He served as a Non-Executive Director of Caltex Australia Ltd. from July 17, 2009 to November 30, 2010. He is a licensed Certified Public Accountant. He received a B.A Degree in accounting from University of Utah in 1981.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20