Magnetic compass

Reaction score
I would appreciate expert advice regarding positioning magnetic compass on phantom.
I just replaced original landing skid for new modified one; the legs are taller and wider . the comas is on the same side (same leg),but about 1.5"out and 1.5" back and facing diagonally (it means facing front left leg ) instead of back left leg.
Do you thing it could effect performance of the phantom ? Or should I add small bracket and try to locate it in the same spot as it was on the original skid ?
Thank for your responses

add a bracket and get it as close to original position then do advanced IMU calibration

What I did was to cut the original skid up and left just the single leg with the compass on it in place.

Attachments

• leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 463
Same as Marcus
Cut the leg, sanded the tip and reinstalled the compass.
Simple
[img][/img]

This has come up before. My understanding is that the exact 3-d position of the compass under the body is NOT important but the ORIENTATION of the compass vis-à-vis the front/back of the bird and exactly vertical in the up/down axis IS critical.

Leaving a stump of old leg solves the problem but leaves about 10 grams of needless weight. As long as you can mount the compass on the new leg in the exact same orientation as it was in....you can ditch the old leg and 10 gms of weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers