Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

MADE IN CHINA.... thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mario_SB, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Mario_SB

The other day I wanted to place a small American flag sticker on my P3P and then realized, wait... this thing is made in China and I have to admit it made me a little sad. Of course a good thing to note is that a lot of this technology comes from American innovations such as GPS but still. Anyone have any thoughts on this? You can now say that there is a lot of innovation coming out of China along with strong manufacturing which is a good thing but still... lol

#1 Mario_SB, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. alokbhargava

Normally Chinese products are priced very low but not the P3.

3. tcope

Where was your sticker made?

What was your point in placing the sticker on the Phantom? I think this is what needs to be considered.

4. Ascend

I would place what ever flag you're proud of on your phantom.
    I wouldn't dwell on where things are made these days. Most products, especially in the tech industry aren't made solely in one place anymore.
    Every country has their own contributions to things we use and enjoy daily.
    Proudly apply the flag you wish and enjoy.

Mario_SB likes this.
  5. Mario_SB

I get it, everything is made in China. Just showing a little patriotism.

III% Streve likes this.
  6. biggdave92

Until Americans wake up, it will continue. I don't look at Chinese products as cheap, I look at them as extremely efficient. They can produce anything they want, at any price point, and extreme fast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Mario_SB

Very good "Western marketing" on DJI's part. Some of the higher up's or at least some of the guys you see on YouTube are UC grads. The whole "Made in China" thing was just a thought.

8. Mario_SB

Agreed. They come up with an idea and all they have to do is walk next door to one of the many manufacturing plants and say, "Hey can you do this?" and that's it. Super efficient!

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

That's no surprise considering the founder of DJI (Frank Wang) is from China.

10. Mario_SB

Yeah I read about him somewhere. Apparently he founded DJI out of his dorm room.

11. msinger

Approved Vendor

12. Mario_SB

Yup! He's like the Mark Zuckerberg of the Drone world. Good for him! He's definitely bringing us some innovative stuff. I really like how they merged their, Lightbridge technology into the P3. If they were greedy, like... ahem...Apple, they could have totally raised the price point of the P3 and we probably would have still bought it. Maybe? lol Good stuff.

#12 Mario_SB, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  13. III% Streve

Considering what you have in your hands, it is VERY inexpensive!! And definitely NOT cheap! As in poorly made! It is VERY easy to buy a drone with far less abilities for 10x the price!

ianwood likes this.
  14. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

There's a ton of American IP and technologies in the P3. But like many things, it is made up of components and technologies that are most often manufactured outside the US. What makes DJI products fairly unique is they are designed, marketed and owned by a Chinese company. With the exception of 3DR, the US lags far behind in civilian drone design.

My X8 frame is from Korea, the flight controller and HD downlink from China, the motors and ESCs are American, the gimbal is from Vietnam and the camera from Japan.

We live in a global economy where everything is designed, supplied and built internationally.

III% Streve likes this.
  15. Mario_SB

Agreed.

16. omarkatwe

Beilieve it or not ,, we are all occupied by china, and the Chinese, in a way or other,

17. witold

USA is a knowledge economy. China is a manufacturing economy.

What would be sad to me is if USA workers were making stickers at sticker factories. It's akin to longing for the olden days when we had professional typists and elevator operators. (which some countries still have to this day.)

3DR mostly puts together components - in Mexico - like most other drone manufacturers. Pixhawk is based on APM with a few modifications as far as I can see. Not much innovation at 3DR.

I don't necessarily think USA is lagging behind. USA is the leader in drone technology. What the military has 5 years ago, the public might get 5 years in the future.

Companies that have competency in this space are not going to bother with a hyper competitive market where even the top company has only 1B in revenue in their record braking year. Consumer hardware has always been a lousy business that doesn't have much staying power. For the companies that can make epic consumer drones, the temptation simply isn't there; the market opportunity is tiny (they already have 30-60 Billion in revenues) and legal situation unclear. At best, they will let DJI sell to the masses as they take over commercial applications - when such applications actually have a market and regulatory framework.

18. Jaime Ray Vaughn

This could get political real fast, but I believe American engineering and innovation is the best in the world as long as it is allowed to be. Regulation, "the world owes me something" attitude and how wealthy people and corporations are despised is killing us. This is a culture thing and we need to push the RTH button.

JKDSensei likes this.
  19. Mark The Droner

When I was a little kid in the early 60s, all the cheap stuff said "Made in Japan". You never wanted to buy something that said "Made in Japan" because it was always junk.

20. Noodle

Every thing is made in China now a day, even Apple products.

Only way if more American made products will happen is if you can lower the manufacturing cost. You try to convince all the factory workers in America to accept much lower wage to compete with what the Chinese factory workers are getting paid now. If you are one of those factory workers, are you happy to accept a pay cut to say a quarter of what you are getting paid now?