MadDog 2700 or Balckmagic 2700 Battery or.....?

Reaction score
Well now that I got installed all my mods, Landing gear, FPV transmitter and Tarot Gimbal, my stock battery drain on 5 or 6 minutes, What do you suggest? Increase to a 2700 Madfog or Blackmagic or to install 2 batterys?

This is how my phantom looks now:
13953239329_5c48892d69_c.jpg

13953262808_346b9462f2_c.jpg

13953221437_71b4d906d6_c.jpg

remove the prop guards=1:30 more flight time. Get the Maddog 2800, add another 3+ minutes....I have 5 of them.
The prop guards kill your flight time.....put them in a box and forget about them.

cool looking....unique. I like.

Do any of those batteries fit in stock Phantom without modification? and do prop guards really take away that much flight time?

Whiteram said:

Do any of those batteries fit in stock Phantom without modification? and do prop guards really take away that much flight time?
No-well, sort of, and yes.
The maddog's fit, but you have to plug them in with the xt60 plug/wire going into the battery tray first. And, you have to have the plug on the right side, then twist it once connected, then slide it in with pressure towards the right side, and do not push too hard going in when it stop. If it doesn't go all the way in, pull it back out, and try a bit of a different angle. There's a video on their website of how to put it in.

My solution-after putting it in over a dozen times using the above technique-as the buy the "bigger battery door" from shapeways.
You can place the battery in properly-but, put the XT-60 connector from the battery on the aircraft's right side(as you're looking at the battery), and twist the battery lead several times to shorten it-then connect to aircraft and you should be able to close the door.

The danger of pushing it in lead first-is eventually you may push it too far, and permanent damage your LED light.

Prop guard suck up well over a minute of flight time, and, make it more likely you will enter you're own vortex while descending(vortex ring state), causing an un-controlled crash. You'll know this because the aircraft will be descending vertically, fast, and usually shaking. Don't panic!! Just fly out of it-push forward stick, and add power. Descend vertically, very slowly. It's best to descend into the wind, with some forward speed.

havasuphoto said:
Whiteram said:

No-well, sort of, and yes.
The maddog's fit, but you have to plug them in with the xt60 plug/wire going into the battery tray first. And, you have to have the plug on the right side, then twist it once connected, then slide it in with pressure towards the right side, and do not push too hard going in when it stop. If it doesn't go all the way in, pull it back out, and try a bit of a different angle. There's a video on their website of how to put it in.

My solution-after putting it in over a dozen times using the above technique-as the buy the "bigger battery door" from shapeways.
You can place the battery in properly-but, put the XT-60 connector from the battery on the aircraft's right side(as you're looking at the battery), and twist the battery lead several times to shorten it-then connect to aircraft and you should be able to close the door.

The danger of pushing it in lead first-is eventually you may push it too far, and permanent damage your LED light.

Prop guard suck up well over a minute of flight time, and, make it more likely you will enter you're own vortex while descending(vortex ring state), causing an un-controlled crash. You'll know this because the aircraft will be descending vertically, fast, and usually shaking. Don't panic!! Just fly out of it-push forward stick, and add power. Descend vertically, very slowly. It's best to descend into the wind, with some forward speed.

+1 good info. TY!

Did I mention there's a couple of threads on Vortex Ring State(read them please).
And, that on Maddog's website, there's a video on how to insert the battery into the Phantom-watch that.
But-spend some extra money and just get the big battery door, and twist the leads on the battery-much easier.

I've got over a 100 flights on my 5 maddogs-and pretty much they are all I fly. get about 8 minutes that I'm comfortable with, and my aircraft is heavy at 2700 grams.

havasuphoto said:
Did I mention there's a couple of threads on Vortex Ring State

At first I thought you guys were crazy as hell, I mean it's just air, who cares if it's disturbed? Turns out the quad cares. I descend thru it all the time, I just take my time and slowly come back down.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
2700 grams.

:shock:

I'm thinking maybe you mean 1700g? But even that is crazy heavy for a Phantom. If not, then you just shattered the weight record for one :D
Yea-that's it...2.7lbs=1227....I was thinking of the MAH of the battery; not enough coffee yet.

havasuphoto said:
OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
2700 grams.

:shock:

I'm thinking maybe you mean 1700g? But even that is crazy heavy for a Phantom. If not, then you just shattered the weight record for one :D
Yea-that's it...2.7lbs=1227....I was thinking of the MAH of the battery; not enough coffee yet.

lol no worries...I was about to recommend you check your motors regularly with that kind of weight :D

You're 100% right, now with the gimbal, Transmitter, and the props guards when I descend my Phantom shakes more, I haven't try any flight without the props guards since I was learning, but now with more than 50+ flights I think I will give it a try.

About the battery here's the video, and yes I will need to do some mod on the battery door or get one from shapeways.com, the blackmagic gives 30% more flight time as Mad dog but the difference is the price.
About that bigger Battery door, I was looking to get one on red what do you think?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGub5LEJ9TU[/youtube]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers