Mac video format.

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first topic. I just bought a P3 pro and I'm taking my time to learn everything about it before I get crazy and damage or lose my new toy. Trying to get the setting right. My first test flight the recording would turn off after 9 secs. I replacing the Sd card and fixed that problem. 2nd flight out it recorded the whole flight but I couldn't playback after DL to Mac or iPhone. Does anyone have suggestions for the best possible settings for video and images
c7df637a4363cf3c1df4bc80a0a804b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK, just to make it clear - you took the obnoxiously tiny SD card out of the P3, placed it in an adapter and downloaded to your Mac? If that is the case you should see a file like 'DJI0004.MOV". If you double click on that, your Mac should natively play that file unless you have a really, really old laptop without the horsepower.

If nothing happens then check the Settings section of the Camera window on the DJI Go App (right side of screen). The wrench is the icon (mentally useful for pounding the app into tiny bits when you are frustrated with it). Under movies, you get a choice of 4K and a couple of other sizes. Pick one of the 1080 sizes for now (avoids the occasional hassle with 4K on older machines). Then check the format. You have a choice of MOV or MP4. Should not make a difference but the MOV format is the native Mac one.

Try to take a movie with that on your kitchen table or functional equivalent.

The setting were 4K and MP4. So I'll change them to 1080 and MOV and try that. Thanks for the advice!

What specific computer are you running? Most Macs will run .MP4 through Quicktime (although VLC is better). 4K can be problematic.

MacBook Pro, it's about 7 years old and low on memory. The video played but was jerky. The iPhone 6 Plus didn't play video at all and the message pop up says the format is not supported. The video did play to Apple TV thru the dji app playback.

MacBook Pro, it's about 7 years old and low on memory.

Your aging Mac isn't remotely up to the task of playing, much less editing, 4K video. Using 1080P will be ok, but barely. You need a new computer, dude.

iOS devices have limited 4K abilities. I think the iPhone 6s can do it. So can an iPad Pro, and there are workarounds for 4K on an iPad Air 2. No version of AppleTV handles 4K. Yet.

I have a P3A and a Retina MacBook Pro. I shoot in 2.7K and down-res (or crop/pan-scan) to 1080P output from Final Cut Pro X (and, occasionally, when I need something quick and simple, iMovie). I am very happy with the production values.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub