M.A.R.S lite parachute kit

I like this new backPack, plugs in the Mayday and has an "on-off" switch, as ya see the servo than plugs into the batteryPack (also has a clear case cover now)
pac.JPG

Checked my mail this morning.

Attachments

• 1452960548294.jpg
    1452960548294.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 1452960568820.jpg
    1452960568820.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 447
  • 1452960579814.jpg
    1452960579814.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 1452960592119.jpg
    1452960592119.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 1452960601939.jpg
    1452960601939.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 393
Reactions: Jbundy63
Well I thought the instructions would come through clearer. I guess maybe it looses some clarity as an attachment. Sorry about that.

Ok everything mounted up. Firmware updated. Mayday servo endpoints set and Mayday calibrated correctly. So question, do you hear a tiny bit of servo chatter and see a little bit of flickering from the green led on the backpack battery when in the armed status?

Something I forgot to do also, stupid me, that's zero the servo before I add the horn, well I call it zero, should be called centering.... here is the idea in case you have not worked with servo's before
TOTAL CONTROL: The Right Way to Set Up Servos
From my use after 20-30min of testing, trying to get it to "trigger", I seen "green" led fickering on backPack, maybe just letting ya know it's on ?
(Tomorrow I'm going to hook the servo up to a rc receiver I have and set the servo in the middle of it's travel, then add the horn, than reset the "throws" on the mayday board) Servo should not buzz or jump in "set" or "deploy" mode, mine works OK, I just want a little more "throw" when it "deploys"

Last edited:
I lost my P3A Christmas Eve. It was windy, but since I heard about people successfully flying in gusty winds before, I decided to try my luck. I upgraded the firmware just before the flight, and I guess I should have tested the new firmware in calm weather first!! Anyway, I flew in the gusty wind (not sure what the wind speed was). When I first took off, the craft got blown in the direction of the wind right away - the GPS hold wasn't working. However, when I applied the controls to counter the wind, things appeared to be under control. So I got up to 90-something feet and started flying normally. Suddenly, when the craft was just 300-something feet away from me, it tumbled and fell to the ground faster than I could react. (Not sure my reaction would have helped anyway by that point!) Anyway, I'm getting another P3A. I wonder if this one could be protected somewhat by a parachute like the one being discussed in this thread.

I lost my P3A Christmas Eve. It was windy, but since I heard about people successfully flying in gusty winds before, I decided to try my luck. I upgraded the firmware just before the flight, and I guess I should have tested the new firmware in calm weather first!! Anyway, I flew in the gusty wind (not sure what the wind speed was). When I first took off, the craft got blown in the direction of the wind right away - the GPS hold wasn't working. However, when I applied the controls to counter the wind, things appeared to be under control. So I got up to 90-something feet and started flying normally. Suddenly, when the craft was just 300-something feet away from me, it tumbled and fell to the ground faster than I could react. (Not sure my reaction would have helped anyway by that point!) Anyway, I'm getting another P3A. I wonder if this one could be protected somewhat by a parachute like the one being discussed in this thread.
No body can guarantee 100% safe recovery of your UAV, too many factors at play here. This Parachute Deployment System in my opinion should help greatly, if installed correct, and you have good altitude. Be sure you read all the "pro" & "con's" before you invest into this system, as it is a little pricey.

Wish I had a regular basis way to test the system to see if servo would open to deploy parachute without putting aircraft at risk. I did read earlier about over the head and pull down fast at an angle. My concern is that from watching the videos on this product that it is claimed that the Mayday is constantly learning flight characteristics. I wouldn't want the Mayday to become complacent to that kind of testing movement as I'm thinking it may lead to a non deployment when you need it most.

Truth be told I have made well sure update was done correctly and everything is set up as it should be but I haven't been able to get a deployment.

Truth be told I have made well sure update was done correctly and everything is set up as it should be but I haven't been able to get a deployment.
You are not alone, I must have done that "over-the-head" trick 20 times, the mayday learned that I was about to throw a fit and finally deployed, if ya do get it to do it's thing it took mine a few minutes to re-set from flashing red led, I had to turn it off then on again.

Well when I deal with things like this I tend to over think things perhaps. For example the Mars backpack modual is a single cell li-po. But the instructions state the Mayday takes a power input from 2.7v to 11.8v but servo output is set at 5v. You catch that? Wouldn't it make more sense to run a two cell li-po if it is supposed to send out 5v to the servo. Has anyone originally run a 2s then switched over to the backpack and noticed any difference in operation? Where is a Travis Pastrana style foam pit around here so I can just do a csc from altitude? Jeez.

Just another thing while I'm at it. I have three fully charged to discharged cycles through the backpack modual to where it self deployed due to low voltage I imagine. That being said I charged it all the way up and set a timer till low voltage deployment. I'm only getting just 40 minutes. Not the 60 to 90 approximate stated. Maybe another reason for me to get a small 2s li-po.

I see what your saying, I have a few of these that I'd like to try out, if you open that pack let us know what's inside besides the lipo, I may do that after a do some testing on battery

DSCF4465.JPG

I want to see what's going on inside too.

Attachments

• 1453069249874.jpg
    1453069249874.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 1453069260487.jpg
    1453069260487.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 1453069269587.jpg
    1453069269587.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 382
Last edited: