Praia da Luz (also known as "Luz" or "Vila da Luz") is located 7 km from Lagos. It is also the name of the tourist town of Luz. Being a fishing village, now has several tourist resorts for holidays. The beach itself is divided into two parts, one with fine white sand, characteristic of the Algarve and the other with rocks. The water is clean and transparent. The beach is qualified with a Blue Flag. The beach is accompanied by a promenade with benches, inviting a break by the sea. The Church of the Light of Lagos, hence the village name, located near the beach, was badly damaged in the Earthquake of 1755, having been repaired with contributions from locals.