LUTs

Reaction score
Just bought MLUT, the LUT utility by Motion, and their "Cinematic Blockbuster" pack of LUTs. Graded each clip in this sample video using them. Such an easy way to take Phantom videos filmed in LOG color and grade them to something pretty amazing.

Anyone else using LUTs, recommend any LUT packages?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just bought MLUT, the LUT utility by Motion, and their "Cinematic Blockbuster" pack of LUTs. Graded each clip in this sample video using them. Such an easy way to take Phantom videos filmed in LOG color and grade them to something pretty amazing.

Anyone else using LUTs, recommend any LUT packages?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Dunno what this LUT is all about but I enjoyed the video. Bravo.

A LUT is a Look Up Table. Basically, a short cut for color grading. Another apt comparison is an Instagram filter. Log color is fairly bland, but very flexible for color grading in post. LUTs make it easier to do it.

A LUT is a Look Up Table. Basically, a short cut for color grading. Another apt comparison is an Instagram filter. Log color is fairly bland, but very flexible for color grading in post. LUTs make it easier to do it.
Thank you sir. Instawhat!? I don't use facetweet, snapbook or chatgram. But I'm sure they're very good :oops:

Reactions: Simzy666
A LUT is no short cut. As a professional color corrector a LUT is basically a quick look that you normally would use in the monitor for a client so they can get an "idea" what a finished product will resemble. You can say it's the primary grade. No one LUT will work for all your footage. I have but 100's of LUTS for professional cameras like ARRI , RED, Sony and so on. Please understand that LUTS can help you in the grading process but I would never solely rely on them as a finished color graded product.

Thank you. (I'm no pro. This is new.) Any tips, or other tools, to start with what a LUT gives you and get to a finished product? Are LUTS generally camera-specific? Are there in P3 LUTS?

Awesome video. All I ask is if you guys can PLEASE PLEASE stop picking such painful music! For some odd reason when people make videos they use such soft music

LUTS are not camera specific. As an example when we shoot big commercial shoots with a specific camera (ie ARRI or RED) We will go and shoot some test footage at the location. Knowing that we will have clients on set I will take the test shots and build a primary correction (basically getting all the levels correct) and maybe add a basic "look". I take that LUT I just built and put it either in the camera or client monitor so when we are shooting for real the client can see what the camera sees. We almost always shoot in RAW or LOG as that gives us the best dynamic range. Once the shoot is completed I will sometimes get the RAW footage and apply that LUT for the editor so he/she is not staring at flat footage. After there is a locked cut it gets sent back to me for an actual grade. I will never use the LUTS that I built for on set dailies for the actual grading session. I will always start over and take my time with each shot.

Now after all that explanation please don't get discouraged because this is my professional workflow. For 99% of what we do with the drone for recreational use then adding a LUT to your LOG footage is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: ghinson
Excellent video. I like the soundtrack.
Did you use different LUTs for each scene or same one for all? Different opacities of adjustment layers? I am interested in trialling with LUTs and LOG color but still learning the details of Adobe PP to get best use of it.

I used a different pre-packaged LUT for each scene (there are 1-3 shots from each scene in the clip). I applied the LUT, and then played with the sliders for exposure, opacities, and color settings. I suppose it would be educational for me to go back and share a version that is just flat LOG color, but... nah.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31